• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canoe on Cargo van

dogger1936

Inactive
Reaction score
Ladies and gents

I am heading off to a meeting this week and it appears we will be having a ton of downtime for a couple days during this mess meeting. I've seriously been asking about bringing my canoe to find nil answers. Others are packing their golf clubs inside their cars for the week. Is there anything stating I can't mount my canoe on the roof of a DND vehicle??

If someone can provide a source to verify If I can do it or not it would be great. While I'm certain no one would even mention it; I like playing by the written rules.

Thanks in advance.

Misuse of a DND vehicle seems to be the one charge the Military Police can consistently make stick in a court martial...

Misuse is a bit vague as I look at it. Carrying a object to upkeep physical fitness while on tasking that does no damage to DND vehicle is like someone packing crossfit wquipment wouldnt it? (Devils advocate of course...I get what your saying).

However I have scorn the black and white to nil return on carrying a object like this. Would it be any differnt using a DND licensed canoe trailer? I have access to one of those as well.

The Transportation manual should have the answer to this question; I don't have a link handy unfortunately.  Look on the DWAN under ADM(Mat) for D Tn.

The safe bet is if you have PRE-authorization from your CO, your golden.  He can't charge you if he gave you the thumbs up.  As for strapping it to the roof of a DND vehicle.  If there's a chance it'll scratch, dent, nick, puncture, or dull the finish on any part of the vehicle...That's destruction of DND property and is a separate charge altogether.

Hope that helps,

Thinking about it again, no one would bat an eye if you were to put a bicycle in the back or carry golf clubs in a DND vehicle (i.e. it's part of your luggage - we don't dictate what you can and can't take for your entertainment during downtime on a TD trip), so it shouldn't be a huge issue.  However, I agree with RHC_2_MP, that you should ask permission.  As long as the van is properly kitted to carry a canoe, it should be approved (i.e. no additional expenditures of public funds involved).

Back