• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians and distorted reality...

The last few years I've grown tired of explaining to the uninformed what we are doing.  When I was a recruiter I dealt with a lot of crap in Cegeps and universities.  And it isn't that they are uninformed, it's that they refuse to be informed.  It's like talking to a rock.  There are people out there that don't want to know the good things the CF does because that would legitimise us so it must be a cover for something or some false flag crap they spew.  I just walk away now.  I really don't care anymore how they feel about it because I really don't think it's the majority. 

I was driving home from Borden while on TD there and stopped in Port Hope for a quick lunch and some lady walked up to me and asked me with a sneer when I was shipping out to Iraq.  I mean, WTF.  It's not like the news hasn't been on for the last 10 years or so.

But I do get more "Thank yous" than F**K yous though.  I've had coffee bought for me, beer bought for me etc etc.  Feels awkward but it is good to hear from time to time.  The Highway of Heroes for example, I think is unique in the western world.  Pretty touching if you've seen it happening live.  Or rememberance day in Ottawa.  Thousands and thousands of people, and a lot more recognising new veterans not just WW2 ones.

So I don't buy into the wide not deep cliché.

Jim Seggie said:
Yes, I watched it. IMO, it was not representative. When the Pl WO told the Pl Comd "I'll call the Engineers" to clear booby traps, the Pl Comd said "No, that's why we have Assault Pioneers".

What rubbish.

So I guess you don't consider "ZOS: Zone of Separation" an accurate portrayal of our time in the Balkans?
:clown:

Haggis said:
So I guess you don't consider "ZOS: Zone of Separation" an accurate portrayal of our time in the Balkans?
:clown:

Is that what it was called? I found it incredulous that some junior officer was the savior..... ;D

Jim Seggie said:
Is that what it was called? I found it incredulous that some junior officer was the savior..... ;D

ZOS was a minie-series that was equaly as bad as the movie i was refering to.

Crantor: Please never grow tired of explaining. Trust me, it makes inroads even with the "lefty" gang more than you will ever know. It just does not happen instantly before your eyes. So, never give up.

Secondly, trust in the "Highway of heroes" thing. It is making a pan-Canadian impact. Ontario Highway 401, the highway of heroes connects into Quebec's Highway 20, now known as the "Remembrance Highway" (Autoroute du Souvenir), with full signage using the Remembrance day poppy. That is recognition in 63% of the Canadian population with other provinces not even having a chance to "connect" to this.

Crantor

Despite my little snark about the "X-box" generation and the SAW , I found I did open a lot of eyes during my stint in OP CONNECTION when I segued into what happened during my tour of Afghanistan; the 4000 micro loans, the completion of ROUTE SUMMIT, the building of schools and the purchase of a garbage truck for the Mir Wais hospital in Kandahar city.

I expect every single person who asked what we accomplished in Afghanistan after finding out I had done a tour were probably expecting a description of playing "whack a mole" with the Taliban; now they know why we also have a combat mission there, and some might now be  looking for more information or seriously thinking about what they are hearing on the legacy media (not one person was aware of any of these events).

Basically, correcting people's impressions with facts here in Canada is the same as sitting for tea with the village elders in Afghanistan; they have a very poor understanding of what we are doing there as well. The people who refuse to listen or ask about Iraq can be considered Tier One Taliban; your job is to separate the Tier Two and the bulk of the population from them. (Sorry, JDAM support will not be avail for this task  ;)).

Thucydides said:
The people who refuse to listen or ask about Iraq can be considered Tier One Taliban; your job is to separate the Tier Two and the bulk of the population from them. (Sorry, JDAM support will not be avail for this task  ;)).

Pretty good analogy, but I hate when higher limits our use of weaponry and tactics.  ;D

Back