• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Duey said:
So we do Tier I, II but not III (by US def'ns), right?    >:D
I don't know.  I've even seen conflicting descriptions of US definitions for each of these.

short final said:
Tier one includes hostage rescue, so yes, we do.
Well US Tier 1-3 do HR the trick is Tier 1 does National Level of Importance HR.

US SF Groups can also do HR missions though their primary task is things like FID, SR etc.

Similarily the 75th RR does HR but primarily does DA or as attachments to CAG operates as Delta's outer cordon for their DA's or HR tasks).

Grouping the US SF as a Tier III is unfair, as they have a vast amoutn of specialization in languages (every team members is at least fluent in one addtional language), medicine, etc.  They where the original UW guys and brought the SOF concept to bloom.

a_beautiful_tragedy said:
ok i know i saw it on here but i couldnt find it again, but !
what was the post about a possible airforce special operations ? something like the 160th SOAR maybe?
thanks  :cdn:

ABT, the DND internet website CF Transformation Page makes mention of an aviation capability in support of CANSOFCOM (not only domestic, but an internationally deployable capability.)  It would be logical that the CSOR would be eligible for receiving ergular support from this aviation capability.  I can find the DND link, but it is right on the DND opening pages...on the left side, click on CDS, the CDS' splash page has the link to CF Transformation...

Cheers,
Duey

ENOUGH WITH THE BERETS!!!  :mad:  Maroon, tan or pink, who cares? Its the job these guys do that is really interesting. There will be the three direct action companies and a SF company plus BN HQ and spt coy. Interesting. The SF Coy will have 12 man teams (sounds like a US SF A team?) and the DA Coys will have two 24 man DA Platoons and a larger CBT SPT PL (my guess, heavy weapons, snipers, pathfinders, etc).
The selection criteria sounds good. It will help sort the out the paper ninjas and the real candidates. I predict that this unit in the future will become a major feeder unit for the JTF2.

ARMY RICK,

I gotta agree with you.  It is more important the job they are going to do.  I just wondered where the tan beret thing came from, there are alot of "wannabees" out there.

By the way, just managed to see the army news cast mentioned on page 13.  Col BARR is a good man, almost as good as Col KENWARD.

For all of you who are not in the know now, publicly dispersed info via print (Maple Leaf), TV and Video (army news) and electonic article (DND site) will be avail for all in and around the 15 Jan 06 time frame.

Info from the CLS has been diseminating down the chain of command, and those who are in the know are the ones who have to man and plan the intial setup of the unit.

So how about everyone take a breath for Christmas and wait for it.

ok i know i saw it on here but i couldnt find it again, but !
what was the post about a possible airforce special operations ? something like the 160th SOAR maybe?
thanks 

Special Ops aviation has been around in Canada since the early 90's in support of RCMP (450 Sqn in Ottawa), and still to this day (a certain small group at 427 Sqn), so its nothing new.
DueyT, you might know me from the 'other site' as 427FO....co-worker of Switchmonkey.

For the guy who mentioned SOG - SOG is CANSOFCOM - the reason for the change was, and I'm being totally serious, the french translation for SOG - which is GOS - which is french for testicles.
This came straight from CO of CANSOFCOM during a brief on Wednesday.

short final said:
Special Ops aviation has been around in Canada since the early 90's in support of RCMP (450 Sqn in Ottawa), and still to this day (a certain small group at 427 Sqn), so its nothing new.
DueyT, you might know me from the 'other site' as 427FO....co-worker of Switchmonkey.

For the guy who mentioned SOG - SOG is CANSOFCOM - the reason for the change was, and I'm being totally serious, the french translation for SOG - which is GOS - which is french for testicles.
This came straight from CO of CANSOFCOM during a brief on Wednesday.

SF, I was wondering 'bout that... ;)  Most folks assume that all mods have info on everybody...not so.  Some folks are sort of easy...like Strike on the other side, others I only have a slight clue.

Good point.  Most people don't know that some of us pre-dated other Tier I capabilities, if even by only 2-3 years.  Good to see the stuff in the video about the 427 SOAS.  In my post on the other side, I was using "SOAS" tongue-in-cheek not realizing that it had actually been approved and became policy.  I guess I would have to say I fullly agree with where the Chief and Col Barr are heading with us! Hu-ah! (It would be nicer if we were going to be a SOAR, but I'll take a SOAS as a first step.... :D )

Hmmmm...does that mean we'll get to trade in the powder blue beret?  >:D

Cheers,
Duey

MC said:
good info, does anyone know if there will be any specific comm unit attached to CANSOFCOM, or CSOR in particular?    

No complete unit as far as I know. Volunteers have been requested from the Sqn in Pet. We have also been told that almost none of us will be going anywhere until 2007.

In the JATF (or aka CSOR) (don't get this confuse with all of CANSOFCOM) there will be support trades for sure.  The Suppot Company has  4 platoons (Transport, Maint, Medical, Supply) and a MP Section.  The Unit HQ and Signals will also have some CS / CSS positions. 

In fact, for the 2006 "build" there will be 47 CS / CSS Offrs / NCM's TOS 01 Feb 06 with another 26 TOS APS 2006,  This does not include "ATR" positions.  From there I only expect that it will increase, as the years go on.  Again this does not include Combat Arms guys. 

Hope that was of some interest.  If you have any specific questions ask (or send PM, even better), and I will see what I can do for you. 

MC 

RHFC said:
I'm just curious on where you heard this... and this instead of JTF or is this to go with JTF?

We received a briefing on this here at CFC about a month ago, as part of the visiting guest speaker series. The CSOR will be capable of supporting or "enabling" JTF ops, as well as carrying out ops in its own right.

Cheers

Do you guys think that, with the creation of this new unit, they will make everyone in CSOR jump-qualified and do away with the para coys in the LIBs?

AIC_2K5 said:
Do you guys think that, with the creation of this new unit, they will make everyone in CSOR jump-qualified and do away with the para coys in the LIBs?

This has already been addressed, the para coys will be staying in the LIBs.

Things getting boring on the air cadet forum?

This has already been addressed, the para coys will be staying in the LIBs.

Sorry, I was unaware. I've been watching this thread pretty closely and I didn't catch anything on that. I apologize again.

Things getting boring on the air cadet forum?

lol. Yeah, I haven't really spent much time in that forum...maybe left one or two posts...
I've decided to go Infantry Officer as opposed to airforce (applying next fall) so please bare with me if i haven't fully grasped all army knowledge yet.  ???

AIC_2K5 said:
Sorry, I was unaware. I've been watching this thread pretty closely and I didn't catch anything on that. I apologize again.
Try here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22233.270.html

I've seen a lot of talk about what batallions will make up the group....did everyone forget that the Eng,armd,arty have very switched on troops as well? just thought this might lead to interesting discussion.

cheers

Back