• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Is there anyway to get the pre selection training package,besides going to psp staff for it? :army:

Thats funny, I went to the BPSO in Cold Lake on Monday (9th Jan) and they didn't have a clue what I was asking about.

Is that website Recce41 mentioned on the DIN or can I get to it from home?

Mortar guy said:
A clueless BPSO? I don't believe it!
Chuck Norris believes it!  Did you know that BPSOs have a startling high rate of roundhouse kick related injuries each and every year?

Did you know that roundhouse related deaths increased 13,000% the year Chuck Norris was born?

MG

Obviously, there will be some resistance to this: we are asking some people (BPSOs and PSPs, among others) to do a little more then before...  :eek:
Those who wish to volunteer, simply advise your C of C formally, the rest will follow  ;)

The BPSO office does have the form in Gagetown. I'm complete ( Med file gone, COs letter, App form) up to the test. As far as the CM knows, I'm the only Armour WO to apply. The problem is that the CANFOR was out too early. As for the test here in Gagetown. Due to I'm tasked this fall. PSP may test without it. I'll be finding out next week. As for the pretraining. Just do as I have been doing, keep fit.

They will be wearing Tan berets. The CO will be very upset at any member who calls it CSOR.

Does anyone know the testing standards for the support positions? Or are they the same ones as the operator? The ones that came with the application were only the operator standards, at least that's how I understood it after reading them.

Support standars are:

BFT in 2hrs 26, fireman carry in 60 sec Xpress test and basic swim test 25m.

signalsguy: 

I say that because that is what we have been told he does not like us calling it CSOR he wants us to use the full name.

That looks exactly like the one for the operator only there was also the 40 pushups, 40 situps and 3 pull ups.

meni0n said:
That looks exactly like the one for the operator only there was also the 40 pushups, 40 situps and 3 pull ups.

That is for cat 1 pers cat 2 (suport) standars are as i discribed above

For (Cat 1) lvl 9 fitness, 40 pushups, 40 situps, 5 pull ups, 25m swim thats day one. Day 2 is the BFT. I go for my test mid Feb. PSP her in Gage has not come out with the exact dates. If I don't go in Feb it'll be after I instruct the ARCC. Doing that would be better, more reps more points. As far as I know I'm the only Armor WO. There is one MCPL trying out, but he's one of my students, we're in the same boat. The is an Armour fellow, so we'll blend in well.

I'd like to put my 2 cents in regarding the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment and the Conservatives proposed Airborne Battalion.  Some are questioning whether there is need for the two units in the Canadian Forces, in my opinion there is.  If we look at other militaries, we can see that many of them have conventional airborne units and still specop units trained in a variety of airborne tactics.  For example, the Dutch Army has both an Airmobile Brigade and a Commando Corp.  The British have the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Marine Commandos.  The Italians, the Bersagliere and Alpine Commandos and the list goes on.  

Concern has been voiced that a small military like Canada's will not be able to provide enough high quality volunteers for two such units and that they will cannibalize the rest of the CF of their best people.  While the Liberals have recently made some increases in military spending, this potential problem can be solved by investing much more in the defence budget, particularly in the area of recruiting.  The DND/CF needs to embark on an extremely aggressive, well funded recruitment drive, utilizing all media, print and electronic.  It is true that in any nation with a booming economy, attracting sufficient recruits of a high calibre into the military is always a challenge because the Armed Forces have to compete with other more financially attactive sectors.  Any Canadian government needs to raise the public profile of the military and enhance its image such that it becomes one of the most exciting and attractive career options for bright young men and women coming out of high school or university.  In the past the Canadian military has fielded some of the most famous elite units in military history.  During WW2 it fielded the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion and contributed greatly to the US/Canadian Special Service Force.  I am quite certain that if a seriously sufficient investment is made in increasing the human resource of the CF, then it will again be able to field two of the best elite forces the world has ever seen. Best of  luck to the CF in its ongoing transformation to meet the ever evolving threats of this uncertain and unstable world which we all have to live in. :threat:

Don't forget the 1ssf ws disbanded after only a year of combat service in Italy and southern France because there was no need for them, though.

I don't think trotting out the age old claims that "well, we were great once, 50 years ago" is much of an argument.

The Canadian military was great when it had Physical standards, very few women or minorities, and lots of money. Those days are not coming back, so comparing the two is a bit misleading.

We also had a cause to rally behind, a common enemy and knowledge that when he was defeated, the boys would come home and be farmers again, so you are comparing apples and oranges. Trying to recruit for a standing military to deploy on overly politicised missions for a liberally minded government that fears having "soldiers with guns" in it's cities is a far cry from recruiting from depression ravaged farm communities to "fight the hun."

The British Army has the Special ReconRregiment.

http://news.mod.uk/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=3210

I know we in the US have been very hard pressed to meet current SF requirements and we have an army of over 500,000. We essentially have the same SF organization that we had when we had an army of 750,000. I was in a chat the other day with some SF types that decried what they felt was a lowering of standards.

But this is not what the CF is doing. Rather you are going the route I think of super infantry, like our Ranger Regiment. This is alot easier to do with your much smaller manpower pool.
Also recruiting off the street might be easier because of the unit's appeal to youngsters. What we do find in the Ranger Regiment is that to keep the unit trained up it must have a high training/optempo. This creates burnout. Infantry units located at installations with Ranger battalions take these burned out soldiers, promote them, give them time off and their unit gains an outstanding new NCO. We also limit a tour with the Ranger Regiment to 3 years. The soldier goes to another unit and may or may not return to the Regiment.

If the CF recreates the CAR that too will help to supply airborne troops to both JTF2 and the SOR and to provide a place for soldiers to go to from those two organizations. Frankly I would like to see a large CAR - at least 2 battalions plus a reserve battalion.

Tomahawk,

The issue for Canada is that the cojones in our government simply do not exist for the deployment of such "offensive" forces.

The liberal left would rather have us picking up garbage in highway ditches when we are not busy handing out soccer balls to Kosovar children. I think that an Airborne unit would be excellent, but I also fear that it would be under - utilised, as the lefties demanded peacekeeping, instead of effective action.

Back