• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers return to Kandahar

Canadian casualties likely on mission
Posting in volatile Kandahar region will put Edmonton troops in daily danger

Terry Pedwell
The Canadian Press
(Printed: Edmonton Journal)
July 15, 2005

OTTAWA - Canadians need to prepare psychologically for the strong possibility some of their soldiers will be killed in a new military operation in southern Afghanistan, says the head of the armed forces.

"Is there a probability that we're going to take casualties? Yes, of course," Gen. Rick Hillier said Thursday.

"Can I give you a number of what we're going to take? Absolutely not."

Canada is sending a team of about 250 soldiers, along with Foreign Affairs officials, development workers and Mounties, to Afghanistan's volatile Kandahar province.

A small part of what's dubbed a provincial reconstruction team, or PRT, will begin deploying early next week, with the bulk of troops starting to move out, mainly from Edmonton, beginning the following week.

Afghan officials have warned that Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network is planning Iraq-style attacks against soldiers in the region. Last month, an American PRT in Kandahar was struck by a suicide bomber -- in the same area where Canada's team will be deployed. Four soldiers were injured.

Casualties are a reality of military life, Hillier said, although he doubts Canadians are ready for that possibility.

"No, I don't believe they are," said Hillier, appointed chief of defence staff earlier this year.

"But there needs to be an awareness across Canada that we're in a dangerous business."

Critics also question whether the public has the stomach for bloodshed coming from Canada's new role in Afghanistan.

"Kandahar will be the acid test of whether or not we can bear the price of our latest goal," Nic Boisvert wrote in an article published this week by the Council for Canadian Security in the 21st Century.

"It is going to take moral courage and political leadership. Are we up to it?"

Despite the increased danger in Kandahar -- compared with the relatively safe haven of Kabul where Canada lost three soldiers in the line of duty -- the military doesn't plan to change the way it operates for the PRT.

"Same, exact strategy," said Hillier. "A three-block war" approach, where troops focus on small pockets within communities to avoid getting involved in large conflicts.

"We're going to prosecute some operations there and we're going to go after the Taliban in some cases," he said.

"The Brits do it superbly, the Aussies do it superbly, we do it superbly.

"We're going to take absolutely every step possible to set up conditions for success and a reduced risk," Hillier said.

"I believe we can put in place in Kandahar ... the best-equipped structure inside of Afghanistan. But we still can't reduce the risk to zero. It's still a high-risk area."

Canadian soldiers set to depart for Afghanistan
CTV.ca News Staff

The first wave of Canadian soldiers are preparing to leave on Tuesday for Kandahar, Afghanistan on a mission Canada's top soldier has described as dangerous but necessary.

The 40 soldiers leaving today from the Edmonton Garrison are the first of a 250-member provincial construction team or PRT, made up of soldiers, Mounties, members of the Canadian International Development Agency and Foreign Affairs personnel.

Over the next few months, the Canada's presence in Afghanistan will grow further as 2,000 Canadian soldiers will be part of the mission to help the Afghan government assert its authority in the region.

Some of the troops could be sent to the southern mountains, and regions still populated by remnants of the Taliban regime and al Qaeda militants.

Last week, Canada's Chief of the Defence Staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, called the militants "murderers and scumbags," who "detest" the freedoms and liberties enjoyed by citizens of democracies.

He said Canada is already a terrorist target by virtue of its status as a democratic member of the Western alliance. He said Canada can't let fear of reprisal stop it from confronting the threat.

"The London attack actually tells us once more: We can't let up," he said, referring to the July 7 terrorist bombings in London that claimed 56 lives.

Sgt. Major Shawn Croucher said this mission will carry more urgency than past ones which have involved Canadian troops.

"Most of our missions before have been with the United Nations, trying to keep two warring factions apart, whereas this one, the insurgents are directly targetting military," Croucher told CFRN News at the Edmonton Garrison.

Apart from rooting out terrorists, Canadian soldiers will be charged with training local police and soldiers, patrolling city streets, as well as ensuring that international supplies get through.

This departure marks the first time Canadians have returned to Kandahar since 2002, when four Edmonton-based soldiers were killed in a friendly fire incident. This mission will last 18 months.

CFRN's Sheldon Larmand says the military isn't giving specifics about when the next wave of troops will leave.

"But they are saying that there will be two more flights after today and they will take place sometime before the end of the month."

Canada's elite Joint Task Force 2 commandos are also expected to provide protection for the team, although Department of Defence officials are refusing to provide details or even confirm their participation.

Critics of the PRT mission warn that Canadian soldiers could face dangers in Kandahar similar to those seen by American forces in Iraq.

U.S. officials predict the fighting in Afghanistan will intensify in the coming months as al Qaeda and Taliban fighters attempt to destabilize national assembly elections scheduled for September.

With a live report from CTV's Edmonton affiliate, CFRN News

I wish I could go with them.
Rumors going around that they might callout a hundred reservists or so from LFAA to attach... i doubt its true but heres hoping.

May they all come back safe indeed.

Heads down and eyes open gents...Come back safe!

:cdn: :salute:

be safe and good luck guys.

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Hey guys!! I will see you when you get here.... I've been here already a month setting up for you.  ;D:

Wish I was going with you guys. :crybaby: Good Luck.

Godspeed and Keep your powder dry! :cdn:

its a funny thing about the general public! When i am around my future wife's family they still say Peacekeeper every freakin time! and it drives me nuts! my unit is the one leaving with the roughly 1200 strong and well from what i am told its Peacekeeping through superiour firepower! haha I just don't think the public is not ready for soldier deaths while in combat! enough said. The comment about the fires was funny also because when i was there i did that stupid thing also. The civies ran away , when my section turned and ran towards this lever 5 fire! hahah onve in i was like  " OK VERY BAD IDEA!" but we got it out !

ya my fiance's family keeps saying the whole peacekeeping thing too.. and my family as well.. but i can't really say that much, at least the news is making it known.. WE"RE NOT PEACEKEEPING on this mission, i'm part of the 250 going this week, and man am i ever stoked, i have so much confidence with my guys, like it was said, we do it superbly, now lets just hope that everyone comes back home alive.

this should be a good one ;)

Devo,

Have a good one, and come home in one piece.  As an Op Apollo guy, I sincerely hope that this upcoming tour will be the pay-off for all of your training and preparation.  And I mean that in the most positive way possible.

Keep safe and watch your back!

Mark C

Keep your powder dry, and your socks fresh.

I don't envy the conditions under which you will be living, but I do envy your opportunity to "earn your pay".

Take care of each other, no one else on the face of the earth cares as much for each other as soldiers in a tight spot.

I'll be watching your exploits with interest, and I know you'll make Canada proud, no matter what happens.

Bring 'em all home.

Roy Harding

Back