• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian, from new york wants to serve.

Newyork

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, i've been in New York for as long as i remember. I attended & graduated Grade 12 with pretty good grades, attended college to pursue a degree in mortuary science. I was active in sports and was always involved in extracurricular activities. So i believe i am physically fit, (hopefully up to CF standards). I enjoy being part of the team, i enjoy striving for the best, doing my duty, and helping out my fellow sisters and brothers. I knew i wanted to be involved with some aspect of the military when i turned 18. Unfortunately i couldnt serve the us.army as i am not American. Went through the strenuous screening process and everything, just to be told i wouldnt be compensated as an American. Which i understood. I recently moved to Mississauga Ontario, and im on the warpath to joining and serving. Now im a little confused about the qualifications: 
Be a Canadian Citizen
      Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
        Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
          Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
        Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation
Canadian citizen(check) 17 years of age or older(check) Last one not so check. Anyone care to enlighten me on this situation.
( I hate to be a deer in the headlights here) thanks alot.

You are 18, so no parent/guardian has to sign for you, since you are an "adult" and you are a Canadian citizen so you are good there.

You are a high school grad, so you can join as a NCM, depending on what you took in high school may let you do more trades(ie Medic).

If you want to be an officer, you either have to have a university degree(DEO), be working on a degree and go ROTP(?) or apply for RMC.

Go to your local CFRC or call and get started.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-95326.html#msg95326

So it wont be a problem that i havent spent alot of time in Canada... since birth.

Newyork said:
So it wont be a problem that i havent spent alot of time in Canada... since birth.

No, it won't be a problem, it just may delay the security check, but as long as you are a Canadian citizen you are good to go.  Lots of people in the CF who have lived outside of Canada, you aren't the first.  Search around the forums and you will get more info on this subject.

Something a little odd here.  To the best of my knowledge (see: https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/a_soldiers_guide_to_citizenship.htm#Eligibility%20Requirements), the US Army does not require US citizenship to enlist.  One only needs to be permanent resident (which it sounds like you were).  There is also an American program to expedite citizenship by serving in the US Armed Forces.  I'm not trying to encourage enlistment in the US over the Canadian Forces, but you should get your facts straight.

Ah well thats great. Only thing i did in the states was go to school, and work. I requested a background check to be done prior to me leaving, as well as transferring my transcripts. I thought it would of been a problem. I guess all i have to do now is do this whole conversion thing. Apparently all state standards have to be converted to canadian standards. I dont understand fully what that means... yet.
thanks for the feedback

I guess i should of clarified, the us army only enlists permanent residents (green card holders) and citizens. I was a permanent resident (legal), only due to the fact that i would leave the country after the 6 month visitor period. I am aware of the program that helps non citizens recieve their citizenship. What the military can do, is help green card holders who have enlisted, recieve thier citizenship. Green card holders who enlist, are eligible for citizenship after serving one year in the US military. ( I know this after going to recruiting offices personally multiple times in the states)

Back