• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Good Morning, CanuckMarksman

I would like to gently point out to you that this Site is run by serving and formerly-serving members of the CF. We tend to have, therefore, the same basic philosophy, and the same expectations of Site members.

That includes doing your own homework. There is a ton of information here. If you are not interested or motivated enough to spend some time and effort looking for it, why should anybody else waste their own precious time doing your work for you? Providing identical responses to identical questions over, and over, and over again becomes tiresome. We are not inclined to spoonfeed people.

So, yes, "BINGO!!", we do expect that "every person who's seeking advice, or answers should just browse through every page in whichever forum, rather than ask someone". Should you, after an honest effort, not be able to find an answer, then some kindly member - maybe even George Wallace himself - will gladly help you. Expect, however, that that assistance may well come in the form of a link to a thread or specific post already on this Site.

Should you be accepted into the CF, please do not hesitate to respond to your Course DS (Directing Staff) as you have just responded to one of your Site DS. This will provide much mirth to your fellow course members.

You can begin to adjust your attitude here and now, the easy way, or later, with some loud, lengthy, and eloquent commentary and suggestions later in St-Jean. Your choice.

While we appreciate your desire to be helpful, what you have actually done, by duplicating information already here, is add clutter. This is the reason why some of the threads, like the one with which I am merging this one, are so lengthy.

Hello good day I wrote the CFAT yesterday and there is some things on how the test is given on the computer that people should be aware of, its done on a computer, each section is timed for example the math questions there are 30 questions and you are given 30 minutes to do this portion which means your given a minute per question and once you select your answer you cannot go back unless you complete the questions and still have time remaining to go back and review. I don't agree with this test being done on a computer and how much time is given on the test for each section of the test and you are not allowed to use a calculator at all they give you two small pieces of paper to do your calculations on, when I wrote my 1st year millwright provincial exam they at least let you use a calculator. They say it takes 1.5 to 2hrs to complete but really it took me 1 hour with how the questions are timed. The Grammar portion of the test there are words that are on this test I have never even seen before, the math is different as well and I studied for a month for this test using all what I could find to help me all I can say is make sure you study up on your math this will help you greatly to pass.

Mike81 said:
Hello good day I wrote the CFAT yesterday and there is some things on how the test is given on the computer that people should be aware of, its done on a computer, each section is timed for example the math questions there are 30 questions and you are given 30 minutes to do this portion which means your given a minute per question and once you select your answer you cannot go back unless you complete the questions and still have time remaining to go back and review. I don't agree with this test being done on a computer and how much time is given on the test for each section of the test and you are not allowed to use a calculator at all they give you two small pieces of paper to do your calculations on, when I wrote my 1st year millwright provincial exam they at least let you use a calculator. They say it takes 1.5 to 2hrs to complete but really it took me 1 hour with how the questions are timed. The Grammar portion of the test there are words that are on this test I have never even seen before, the math is different as well and I studied for a month for this test using all what I could find to help me all I can say is make sure you study up on your math this will help you greatly to pass.

This shouldn't be news for anyone. If you've read through all of the information that has been provided on the CFAT threads here than there is no reason any of this should come as a surprise. That some may find it difficult, even after studying, is really the whole point of an aptitude test. It is to see if you meet a threshold for certain jobs so that you will be successful with the training and academics that go with it. If you are unhappy with the results, you can request to retake the CFAT.

Scarlett said:
That some may find it difficult, even after studying, is really the whole point of an aptitude test. It is to see if you meet a threshold for certain jobs so that you will be successful with the training and academics that go with it. If you are unhappy with the results, you can request to retake the CFAT.

Mike81 said:
I don't agree with this test being done on a computer and how much time is given on the test for each section of the test and you are not allowed to use a calculator at all they give you two small pieces of paper to do your calculations on...

For example, your ability to actually perform calculations, as opposed to your ability to operate a mechanical aide. Besides, while it is much faster with a calculator, it's no more difficult to have paper and pencil. You should try doing it all in your head! "Let see, I'm 150 yards off track, going 10 knots, so if I steer in 3 degrees, and it's 0835 then I will regain my track at..."

Lumber said:
For example, your ability to actually perform calculations, as opposed to your ability to operate a mechanical aide. Besides, while it is much faster with a calculator, it's no more difficult to have paper and pencil. You should try doing it all in your head! "Let see, I'm 150 yards off track, going 10 knots, so if I steer in 3 degrees, and it's 0835 then I will regain my track at..."

Or,

MedCorps said:
As a Jr Med Tech math is mostly used to calculate drug dosages, oral, injectable and IV. 

For instance,  Dilantin, 0.1 g is ordered by the Medical Officer to be given through a nasogastric tube. Dilantin is available as 30 mg / 5 mL. How much would the QL5A Med Tech administer?

Or... Calculate the IV flow rate for 1200 mL of NS to be infused in 6 hours. The issued infusion set is calibrated for a drop factor of 15 gtts/mL. What is the drop rate per minute you set the infusion set to deliver? 

Needless to say the tolerance for error when administering / calculating medications is very low. There are about 10 types of calculations you will be expected to perform.  These will be taught and tested on your QL3 / QL5A Med Tech courses. 

As you get up in rank math will be more utilitarian.

For instance,

A clinic has 3 Care Delivery Units (CDU). CDU 1 has sees 15 patients a day, CDU 2 sees 32 patients a day, CDU 3 sees 14 patients a day. 22 of these patients are booked and the remainder are "walk in".  What is the average number of patients seen by the clinic a day. What percentage of these patients are booked appointments and what percentage are walk in?

Your medical treatment facility (MTF) has 7 casualties to evacuate 40 km to the Brigade Medical Station (BMS).  The ground evacuation rate of movement factor is fixed for this operation at 30 km/H due to congestion on the evacuation routes. The ambulance can take only 3 casualties at a time due to a broken litter kit in the back. Add 10% to your final number as a safety calculation How long will it take to evacuate all the casualties? If your evacuation of casualties leaves at 14:23 when will they arrive at the BMS?  When will the ambulance return to your MTF for the next load? 

It is not "higher" functions math such as differential geometry or number theory but basic math skills are important to the Med Tech and the casualties they treat.   

Good luck with you application.

MC

Mike81 said:
Hello good day I wrote the CFAT yesterday and there is some things on how the test is given on the computer that people should be aware of, its done on a computer, each section is timed for example the math questions there are 30 questions and you are given 30 minutes to do this portion which means your given a minute per question and once you select your answer you cannot go back unless you complete the questions and still have time remaining to go back and review.

Holy Run-on Sentences, Batman!! I almost passed out from hypoxia while reading that.

Mike81 said:
I don't agree with this test being done on a computer

The Canadian Armed Forces does not care if you agree with its tests or not. Your opinion is irrelevant. When you are in a position to hire people, you can set your own tests. CFAT has evolved over time, and works fairly well for its intended purposes.

Mike81 said:
when I wrote my 1st year millwright provincial exam they at least let you use a calculator.

Do millwrights have to do rapid calculations in complete darkness, in pouring rain, while flying at x00 knots, while being shot at, while half-frozen or half-baked, exhausted, with dead batteries or a calculator that's been smashed against a rock or drowned in a swamp? The test is to see what you can do, not what your calculator can do. Technology is nice, but too many are too dependent upon it and cannot function when it is not available.

:goodpost:

I guess after applying "online", someone never bothered to read the rest of the information available at the website.  It's all there, in black and white.    :facepalm:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#tab4

I am sure you will be fine.  Just contact your recruiter and explain things (if they don't already know) and then rebook a new writing session.

Regards

Andraste

To CAF Recruiter,

I am currently in the process of applying to the Reg forces as a DEO for infantry or pilot. I have already received confirmation that my application has been accepted for further processing and am currently waiting for the interview/CFAT test to be scheduled. I understand that there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume.

I have spoken with the Captain at my local detachment and explained that I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers. He seemed very friendly and cooperative, then gave me the extension of the Corporal in charge of scheduling aptitude testing but did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

My question: Is it reasonable for my to call the Corporal and ask to have my interview/testing scheduled sooner, or should I wait until contacted? I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

Thank you for taking the time to respond,

A truly eager candidate

PTFreak said:
To CAF Recruiter,

I am currently in the process of applying to the Reg forces as a DEO for infantry or pilot. I have already received confirmation that my application has been accepted for further processing and am currently waiting for the interview/CFAT test to be scheduled. I understand that there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume.

I have spoken with the Captain at my local detachment and explained that I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers. He seemed very friendly and cooperative, then gave me the extension of the Corporal in charge of scheduling aptitude testing but did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

My question: Is it reasonable for my to call the Corporal and ask to have my interview/testing scheduled sooner, or should I wait until contacted? I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

A truly eager candidate

As you have already discovered: "there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume"; the matter of pushing you to the front of the line may be impossible.  Timings are geared around the availability of facilities for testing and interviews, availability of staff to conduct testing and interviews, etc.  Trying to appease your own personal impressions of your chances, really have no priority status in the scheme of things.  You are free to keep in contact with your recruiting staff at the CAFRC that you are dealing with, and perhaps they will have all the stars align to facilitate earlier testing and interviews for a group of prospects, but that will be the call of that CAFRC. 

More information can be found on this site in these threads:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

http://army.ca/forums/threads/12755.0.html

PTFreak said:

A truly eager candidate

You're more than welcome and I encourage you to contact your local Recruiting Detachment to have your Testing scheduled at your convenience but that is all you will get, is an appointment for the Testing.

Scheduling for an interview and or further processing is normally based on how well you do on your aptitude test (ie; CFAT) which is the first step in the process.  Other than that, nothing else really matters.

Good luck!

DAA said:
You're more than welcome and I encourage you to contact your local Recruiting Detachment to have your Testing scheduled at your convenience but that is all you will get, is an appointment for the Testing.

Scheduling for an interview and or further processing is normally based on how well you do on your aptitude test (ie; CFAT) which is the first step in the process.  Other than that, nothing else really matters.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply,

This might be a silly question: So by no means will my eagerness in contacting the Recruiting Detachment appear as an annoyance or work against my application?

I am truly not at all worried about my CFAT performance. I understand the eCFAT available on the website is a lot easier than the real thing. I completed it in less than half the allotted time and scored 100% and plan on practicing a lot more for more advance spatial patterns.

So in that sense if I score well on the CFAT could I jump to the top of the list? Just super eager to get into this career!!  :salute:

PTFreak,

As you noted the CFAT available online is much easier (indeed it is significantly easier) as it was designed to give potential applicants an understanding of the test structure.  Having a healthy sense of confidence is a great thing going in but do ensure you understand the types of questions you might be run into and be able to answer more difficult questions of same type . . . be prepared and all will go well.

Your CFAT is one part of the selection process and while a good score is of benefit there are other hurdles to jump.  Being eager for a career in the CAF is a good thing . . . so keep that enthusiasm  :)

Cheers

Andraste

Welcome to Army.ca, PTFreak

This is not a part of this Site for lengthy discussions, but I am going to post this here, for your benefit and for the benefit of others (and that includes people like you as well as their potential subordinates)

I commend you, firstly, on your enthusiasm. Motivation is important. So are many other things.

PTFreak said:
I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers <snip> did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

Do I understand this properly? Do you expect special treatment because of family connections? I hope that you do not, because such an attitude will not go over well, and you will be disappointed. You will be judged upon your OWN merits, against a standard and in comparison with your peers, and not upon what others in your family have done.

PTFreak said:
I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

Academic record and athleticism, even combined, are nice, but no guarantor of anything. I have met many well-educated twits and many very athletic twits. There is far, far more to being a good Officer. There is far, far more required to succeed in the courses required to qualify.

Confidence is good. Overconfidence and an inflated ego are not.

Your belief is irrelevant. How you actually perform, individually and as part of a team, is what counts. You have to prove yourself.

PTFreak said:
I am truly not at all worried about my CFAT performance.

You should be.

Look at my overconfidence remark again.

You should worry enough to prepare yourself properly - but not enough to cause anxiety or paralysis. There is a balance to be found. Find it.

Worry and fear are survival mechanisms. They exist for good reason, and should be heeded and not brushed aside.

Overconfident people often fail to put in the effort necessary to succeed. I have seen that many times. Talent - and neither we nor you know (your "belief" does not count as knowledge) that you actually have any yet - without effort generally leads to performance well below potential and/or the required standard.

I have also seen people so convinced of their own superiority, so full of themselves, that they piss off everybody around them, and hence also court failure. This is a team effort. If you cannot participate as an equal, and fit in well, you will likely fail because nobody will be willing to help you when you need it - and you WILL need help, regardless of your school marks or athletic ability. You will need to earn the respect of your superiors, your peers, and, even more importantly, your subordinates. Understand that. Really understand that.

Your subordinates will often know more than you, regardless of how well you did at school.

PTFreak said:
So in that sense if I score well on the CFAT could I jump to the top of the list?

No. Why should you? It is only an INDICATOR of potential. Even a top score does not mean that you WILL actually be successful.

And "successful" can be taken several ways. Success in training, ie passing your courses, is good, but being successful as an Officer requires a lot more. Lack of compassion, lack of ability to make proper and timely decisions, lack of ability to know what is right and to do it, lack of ability to seek and accept advice, lack of humility, lack of mental as well as physical stamina, and many other shortcomings can all prevent you from being a good Officer, regardless of how well you do on course. Many have achieved high rank, for various reasons, yet are not/have not been good Officers. They can be a danger to themselves, and, even worse, to others.

This profession offers unimaginable rewards, and it can be a lot of fun. It is also very real. Responsibility for critical, expensive, and often irreplaceable equipment is real. Death is real. Severe and permanent injury is real. That is beyond your comprehension at this point. School and games do not compare.

None of this is intended to sound harsh, but you seem to need a little dose of reality. You may be good in those environments to which you are accustomed, but you are attempting to move into one that is vastly different and that rightly expects much more of you, and what you have done so far is only a small part of what you will have to do.

When I was in the Pilot training programme, we were told that only one in eight hundred Pilot applicants achieves his (there were no female Pilots then) Wings, and I doubt that this has significantly changed.

Some do not get past the initial recruiting process.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past Aircrew Selection.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past BMOQ.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past the various phases of flying training.

And many of the ones that washed out at any of those stages likely saw himself as you do now.

Special snowflakes melt just as quickly as ordinary ones.

CFAT is one small step. There are many other steps, and each one gets bigger. Getting past one is good, but it only means that you have the next one to climb.

And even achieving one's Wings is just another step. It does not end there.

Start reading through existing threads here on this Site, and educate yourself.

Understand what you need to do, and what and who you need to be.

hey everyone

so i did my cfat today. i think i did well but the reason im posting is because after going through the forums i saw that lots of people got the results just after their test for me i did not they just told me that i will receive further instructions for the remainer of my recruiting process by the mail (not e-mail ). so i was wondering did this happen to anyone else ? and im that guy that always thinks of the worst before the best so since i did not get the results im was thinking maybe i failed but then again i asked the recruiter if i passed he said he did not know because he does not have the results either but then i again it was not the same one who called out my name after the test it was an other one so maybe it was the one who called out my name who had the results but then again the one who spoke to me checked my folder so im guessing he would of told me if i failed but he only said that ill get further instructions and i asked him will i get my result at the same time he said yes and i got 1 more question what is the minimum you need to get in the infantry (reserve force) ? if anyone could answer that too thanks

"Going through the forums" included reading this thread?

Please capitalize and punctuate where appropriate. Your post is painful to attempt to read, and does not reflect well upon you.

hello,
I am pretty worried right now because i did my CFAT yesterday and did not get any results so i don't know if i scored high enough to get into infantry. what they told me is only that i will get more information for the remainder of my recruiting process (including my results) by the post in a few days . I was wondering if it was normal ?

Also not sure if it meant anything but after the CFAT we all went downstairs with a recruiter and then another one came down took my file and another girl file and call out my name + the other girl to go up to the 3 floor with him he went into his office with her and i was in the waiting room then a different guy came and told me that basically i was going to get information by mail.

thanks for your time

Back