• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

cihmitb said:
... my girl friend did that little test that the recruiter gave her and said it was nothing like the real test and gave a false sence that the test is easy when infact it is not, is this fair? shouldn't someone do something about that ...

Ironically, when I clicked on this thread today I was thinking to myself how much it annoys me that some people seem to think it is okay to ask for "too much information" ...

First of all - the purpose of any test is to determine whether the person writing the test has a particular, minimum amount of knowledge.  Therefore, it defeats the purpose of the test if too much information is made available.  In school, it is called "cheating" when somebody copies the answers from somebody else.

Now, as far as the CFAT goes ... it has been a while since I was a recruiting officer, however I do remember that some people would score badly when they were poorly prepared, or wrote the test when they were sick or did not get a good night's sleep the night before ... etc.

The topic has virtually been exhausted here, but ... when writing the CFAT, or ANY other test, it is important to be prepared (i.e. do homework).  I am fairly certain it has been said again and again and again that the sample questions are NOT/NOT/NOT adequate for studying/preparation - they are only a sample of the style or type of questions on the CFAT.  In this thread there are many suggestions of books or other tests which people can use for practice.

So, while it is unfortunately that your girlfriend failed her test (even though she gets good marks at school) it is simply "one of those things" - many other people pass the CFAT.

If a person wants to join the Army more than anything else in the world, then they will "go the extra mile" and do extra homework.  For students, there are probably teachers in your school who can provide some sample tests (not identical to the CFAT, but with questions to "warm up" your brain ...).

Good luck to all, and remember - "if at first you don't succeed ...".
Quitters never win, winners never quit.

Thanks for the info bossi, I will study a lot and practice my multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, and grammar, before I go and if I fail I will try again and again intill I pass (hopefully I wont have to :) ) any ways so is there anything else besides the multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, and grammar that I should study, thanks for the help it is really appreciated.

cihmitb said:
... so is there anything else besides the multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, and grammar that I should study ...

In addition to mathematics, mathematics, and more mathematics ... "Problem-solving" or "test-writing" is a good idea, especially if anybody has not written an "aptitude" test recently ...

Once upon a time when I was in high school, there was a mathematics club (they practiced for the University of Waterloo Math Competition - ditto for U of W Physics competition) - they had lots and lots of examples of questions, and the math teachers were only too glad to help (... since almost NOBODY was interested in the Math club ... haha!)  When I joined Recruiting, I was required to write all the tests (i.e. this was done for all recruiting personnel, just in case we applied for a different trade and had to write these tests again ...) - at the time, my scores were among the highest ever recorded at that particular Recruiting Centre (... now, if I could only translate that into something more useful ... like a good pickup line ... but, I digress ... time for all of you to hit the books ...).

Yes - officer candidates require a higher score on the CFAT. I believe there is a minimum score that must be achieved. So it's important to make sure you are comfortable writing the CFAT.  I think Bossi has some great advice.  By reviewing word/math problems, you can help improve your overall performance on the problem-solving portion of the test. If you feel uncomfortable with aptitude tests then practice before you take it.  I've seen too many kids have their opportunities circumscribed by the CFAT, cheeers and good luck, mdh

ogidan said:
is it possible for one to have a sample of the test.

Short answer, NO.

Read the rest of this thread before you post.  If someone gives you a copy of what the test looks like, then it isn't really a true TEST anymore, now is it?

Huggy said:
... People are saying that you don't have to study for a aptitude test ...

It would be more accurate to say that it's difficult to study with the sole aim of improving your "aptitude", however it is possible to warm up or prepare yourself for the task of writing the test (especially if a person hasn't written too many tests after leaving school, and therefore is out of practice ...).

Huggy said:
My two cents:  â Å“If someone gives you a copy of what the test looks like, then it isn't really a true TEST anymore, now is it?â ?  Well.... Not all true but, it is. In college your allowed to have copies of last years tests or that madder last semesters test and use them as you see fit, a lot if the time instructor will use the same layout and same questions just with different number or a little different situation in the question.  So it is still a test.

You're comparing wrenches and dodgeballs (i.e. "if you can dodge a wrench ...")
The CFAT is not a university examination or quiz.
The point being made is that to obtaining sample questions is okay, but to obtain an actual copy of the real CFAT would be tantamount to cheating.

It's always interesting to compare how we do things compared to the US.  The US armed forces uses what they call the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVB) which is used to stream potential candidates into various trades.  It has spawned a virtual sub-industry with several published guide books designed to replicate the test with a series of practice tests. There's a website that deals with the test in detail as well. In addition, the US Navy has even gone as far to offer potential recruits a pre-test in advance of writing the actual ASVB. Obviously they have recognized that there are a lot of people who may not do well on the ASVB but they can be brought up to a higher standard through practice.

Huggy said:
-basic math (  adding, subtrating, BADMAS, long division )
-verbal (Definitions of given words, interchangable words)
-spatial (Fold this shap in your head, what does this look like for a different angle)

You've pretty well nailed it right there.  (er, and it's BEDMAS, Brackets Exponents Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction)  The biggest thing is to learn how to do math FAST.  You're on a tight schedule, so if you get flustered by a question, move on.  As for the verbal, either ya got it or ya don't.  :)  Can't really cram for a verbal test..  The spatial is the same.  Google some spatial tests, some basic math tests, get all the stuff refreshed in your memory from Math 10.  (In alberta, not sure what it is elsewhere)  Practice, get your speed up, and you'll do fine.

T

What is the mark they expect you to get on the aptitude test for an infantry officer?

I looked over the goverment tests that were suggested on this thread. The math i found easy, but the word relation questions were a little confusing.

Does anyone know what the minimum score I need to get into an Armoured Recce unit?

Yep, and I won't tell you. You don't find the scores out as an applicant.  The test isn't pass/fail either.  It is designed to test your ability to learn in the trades.  There is a page on the Govt of Canada site that gives sample tests for people to try prior to writing ALL govt aptitude tests.  I don't have the site off hand, but if you call CFRC or Reserve unit and ask to speak with a recruiter they WILL provide it.

Love793 said:
Yep, and I won't tell you. You don't find the scores out as an applicant.   The test isn't pass/fail either.   It is designed to test your ability to learn in

Does that imply that you can find out your score if/when you are accepted?  I'm really curious as to how I did! 

You can ask a CFRC to see your results.   It's abased on series' of percentiles that are required for each different trade.   The higher you score, the more trades you can be competitive in.   The Arms (with the exception of Cook and Steward) are at the bottom (apparently we don't need to read,write or do math), tradesmen are towards the top.   You should have gotten a printout showing how many trades you qualified for.   This should be a idea of how you faired.

Love793 said:
You can ask a CFRC to see your results.   It's abased on series' of percentiles that are required for each different trade.   The higher you score, the more trades you can be competitive in.   The Arms (with the exception of Cook and Steward) are at the bottom (apparently we don't need to read,write or do math), tradesmen are towards the top.   You should have gotten a printout showing how many trades you qualified for.   This should be a idea of how you faired.

I'm actually going DEO, so it's a "one size fits all" deal.  Once I'm kitted out, I'll drop the CFRC a line and see if I can take a gander- thanks for the info!

i was never told my score when i did my Aptitude test, all my recruiter told me was congrats you qualify for the trades you have chosen,

You should have received a print out, listing the trades you qualified for.

Hey guys.   I just wrote the CFAT and while I can't tell you what the questions were, I can tell you to study each test category.   Study Vocab, study spatial ability practice tests and study math problems.   Find books in your local library.   I didn't know what to study and went in and found it hard.   So that is my advice, find books on each subject and study!!!

You can shut this down if you feel it gives too much info away but I don't think it does.    ;D

hoote said:
Hey guys.   I just wrote the CFAT and while I can't tell you what the questions were, I can tell you to study each test category.   Study Vocab, study spatial ability practice tests and study math problems.   Find books in your local library.   I didn't know what to study and went in and found it hard.   So that is my advice, find books on each subject and study!!!

You can shut this down if you feel it gives too much info away but I don't think it does.      ;D

I don't think that gives away anything....
This might be a good link to look at though...
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/howtojoin/aptitude_test_e.aspx?bhcp=1

Back