• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter Se7eN
  • Start date Start date
Any one know if there is a scale for that test that was linked to a few posts back? I scored 88.89% and thats with nieces and nephews grabbing at me, playing loudly in the background. Stupid desk question... Still don't get that one.. sigh.. Must be the distractions... Or just me.. :)

Im in the application process right now and what scares me the most about all this is the CFAT. What is the % needed to pass for INF?
Is it really as hard as some people say it is?
and is there anything I can do to better prepare myself for it?
Thanks.

Dan

I scored 139, i am so smart,  i am so smart, s-m-r-t, I mean S-M-A-R-T!  That's why when the recruiter said "Do you like camping?"  I said "sure, doesn't everybody?"

What if you never get the call for some reason and decide to send in a new application once the other is closed can you write the test again then or you dont have to?

The thing is though they give a time limit on those math problems on the CFAT... in fact the whole CFAT is timed.

Just do the math quickly I guess?

There are plenty of online tutorial and courses you can look through.

Look at math.com

A good resource for looking at general info in math is:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/
(A lot on that site is very advanced, but it covers almost everything under the sun to do with math)

There are lots of online courses you can sign up for, for varying prices. I poked around and saw a number of good courses you can do online for about $20 - $100, depending on the company.

Math is learned through a lot of practice and repetition. So the more the better.

And this is from the guy with multiple degrees in mathematics...  :)  Pieman, how come you haven't torn apart the 1:1 "political science isn't science" yet?  I've wanted to jump in, (Gee, prove any of the higher mathematical functions you (as a scientist) have done under the 1:1 format that's been alluded to here) but thought you'd be much more eloquent...  Jump, my boy.  JUMP!!  ;)

T

I just wrote the CFAT yesterday and I can tell you...I found it NO CAKE WALK! Mind you, I haven't wrote a test in 15 years. I am a little late coming into the Army at 33 but I would definitely advise anyone about to write the CFAT to brush up on basic math skills. The vocabulary part is a little harder to study for, unless of course you are up to reading the dictionary in hopes that you remember what all the big words mean. LOL!
Good Luck to those of you who are about to write it! I can't give anything away but definitely go back to about grade 7 to 10 math.
Hope this helps.

Bojangles

USSRsovietsnake said:
What if you never get the call for some reason and decide to send in a new application once the other is closed can you write the test again then or you dont have to?

The test is valid for 3 years (this is according to CFRC Hamilton).

I did the test about a month ago and qualified for pretty much any trade the CF has. But it was NOT easy. I did the old aptitude test back in 1996 so I had some idea of what to expect.
The thing to remember is (and this is no secret) the test is based on a grade 10 education. A number of people who are joining now are still in high school or recent graduates, but having been out of school for the past 10 years I couldn't recall what grade 10 was all about so I googled grade 10 math lesson plans to see what type of things they are learning. This won't give you the answers, but for someone like me who has only had to work out if I the change I have is enough for a large Timmy's, it certainly helped.

Intelligere said:
CFAT results are valid indefinitely.

I beg to differ. I had to retake mine last month because 8+ years had passed since I had done them, which would indicate they are not 'valid indefinitely'. Further, I phoned CFRC Hamilton to double check the length of validity and was told 3 years.

Pieman, how come you haven't torn apart the 1:1 "political science isn't science" yet?  

I had been staring at those comments in that thread for a while now in utter disbelief. I am sure poor Newton is stirring in his grave.
I decided to let the thread (and myself) cool off before I responded, and have since had trouble formulating an answer that does not sound condescending.  Anyway, the thread appears to be locked now.

JasonH said:
Christ it's really depressing sometimes thinken about the future.

Last time I took a math course was grade 9.   I'm 18 and I should have graduated, and because I was out of highschool for 2 years I missed a lot of crap (ill/surgery).
This is the last semester in school I can stay before they start maken me pay because my 19th bday is in april.   And I'm hopen to finally move into redo-ing the CFAT,
back in sept. I failed it, come April/May.   But that begs the question, I can't remember a whole lot from the math portion of the CFAT.   But how do I re-learn from grade
9 to 11 in that little time?   I've come a long way since 2 years ago from where I begun my journy, and I'm so close (you don't know how hard it was just getting my
darn transcripts for grade 11).

Any help would be appreciated.   Everything on the cfat I did fine minus the math, which they specifically stated to come back in 3 months once you've fixed it.   I tried
but the school put me in some self paced course that required ME to get the math questions and what not.   And that idea was knoble but ate the curb.   So I'm taken
a course (dunno what grade yet) so hopefully with that along with tutoring I'll be off passing my cfat in april.

-Jason

Beware of the verbal skills test too.

Intelligere...

There may indeed be instances when the CFAT is considered valid for extended periods (ie a remuster), but specific to the question asked by USSRsovietsnake, the test would need to be retaken after 3 years. When refering to the regular force, all phases of the recruiting process expire at some point and need to be redone. The interview (after six months), the medical,the fit test, etc.
As procedures may be affected by individual circumstance, it may be prudent that anyone with questions regarding their particular situation contact their file manager.
And we can certainly carry this on off the board if you so desire.

:cdn:

ps387 said:
Intelligere...

There may indeed be instances when the CFAT is considered valid for extended periods (ie a remuster), but specific to the question asked by USSRsovietsnake, the test would need to be retaken after 3 years. When refering to the regular force, all phases of the recruiting process expire at some point and need to be redone. The interview (after six months), the medical,the fit test, etc.
As procedures may be affected by individual circumstance, it may be prudent that anyone with questions regarding their particular situation contact their file manager.
And we can certainly carry this on off the board if you so desire.

:cdn:

The CFAT is good until the test itself is changed or a new CFAT is instituted.   There is no reason ever to put a time limit on CFAT results and it does not expire.   A test result may be determined to be invalid if there was a disruption during the testing (e.g., fire alarm, etc.).   Still think you are right then produce the RHB article or the applicable Personnel Psychology Directive.

Oh sorry I see you are not in recruiting.  But you do offer one piece of good advice in your post and that is applicants should always contact their recruiting centre if they have questions about their files.  Cheers.

Math has never been one of my strong points.  Lately I've been spending alot of time on http://www.math.com you can select different subjects (fractions for example) and then you can click on different lessons that will show you step-by-step how to add fractions, subtract fractions, multiply, divide etc.  Then there is quizes so you can see if you know how to do it correctly.

Very valuable resource to people worried about the math part of the test (like me). :)

http://www.math.com/homeworkhelp/EverydayMath.html

Best advice, try the practice test.  Get a feel  for the type of questions.  Get a good nights sleep.  If you don't get the answer right away, move on.  At the end of the section, worse comes to worse guess (it's not held against you if get it wrong).  Most importantly, be optimistic and RELAX.

wow I scored 141.... maybe something went wrong in my head, like cells connecting to others they're not supposed to .. hahaha

Anyways, I doubt a little bit of the accuracy of those tests too...

Cheers!  :warstory:

There is already a long and exhaustive thread on the CFAT located here: http://army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

Please refer to this one.

Topic locked.

:P

Yeah yeah,

Well anyways.. Month n a bit into my math course and it's all foreign to me!  I'm stocken up on the GED books now though and I think instead of studying a broad spectrum I'm gonna go for Basic Arithmetic. 

Adding, Subctracting, Multiplying, Division, Decimals (those were a bitch), Fractions, and Percents.  With those you easily knock out half the math part.  Definitly upgrade them word problems!

Recruiters have tried to phone me like several times but of course I never got the call and they never leave a message (Is it that hard to wait 3 god damn rings to leave a message?!).  So they have me expecting to come in sometime in april with no date set.  And if I fail a second time my file goes to the UPO which would decide whether to allow me in or not from what I was told.  To bad he wouldn't interview my ass and maybe see where I'm coming from but that would be wrong cause that's borderline asking for handouts.

Anyways, goodluck to those in waiting!  I know I'm gonna need it myself  :'( :-\

I wrote the test two weeks ago, I scored high enough to be a "general service officer". Is a general service officer, an officer that isn't a pilot, dentist, or doctor? or are there others. I was just curious, and if I'm wrong, then tell me who is/isn't a general service officer?

Back