• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Which is why I said a temporary fix.  77,000 litres is easily covered by 60,000 times 2.  Beats boiling and in the long run is cheaper than airlift.  You need to think of the requirement in the same manner as if you were responding to a disaster.  First requirement of any group is clean water, the rest comes later.

Target Up said:
UV sterilizes water, not purifies it. The problem with UV is that it's effectiveness degrades over time as lamp intensity drops and bio slime builds up on the quartz sleeve. UV is a barrier kill, not an all system kill. Any failure of the lamp contaminates everything downstream from the lamp. If I were drawing from a surface water source, I'd be looking at chlorine injection with a carbon filter farther downstream to neutralize it after it's done it's job.

Running on solar with a gravity fed system in a cabin limits options. The nice thing about a filtered and UV system is you can fly the stuff in, train the locals to look after it and let them take some responsibility for it.

I shook my head at one BC Reserve, they complained they had no fire department. Yet I knew they were getting significant funds for the Oil and Gas companies to buy equipment. So I suggested setting up a volunteer one, they gave me the evil eye. The Oil and Gas companies would have fallen over themselves to help equip such a department, even if it starts small with a couple of large pickup trucks. Sadly what is missing in many reserves is a desire to help themselves. That is changing, but a lot slower than it should. 

Maybe instead of traipsing around the world he should be home dealing with what's happening out west. Something prime ministerial perhaps?

MilEME09 said:
And now our glorious leader has stated he will not step in, in any way with current wave of protests against the coastal gas link pipeline. So much for national leadership, guess the rule of law dies in our country.
many leaders are not wanting to touch this.

In Ontario this is the job for the OPP,  and they aren't moving.

Altair said:

According to Metro Toronto Police, there was a blockade at Yonge and Dundas during the evening commute.

https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1228458948384169984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

- information that demo is regarding 'Solidarity w. Wet'suwet'en'
- group is going to protest at the intersection of Yonge/Dundas

Altair said:
many leaders are not wanting to touch this.

Might be all the bonfires the protestors are starting then claiming they're sacred fires. OPP probably doesn't want to deal with destroying a religious and cultural symbol on camera.  Pretty clever of the protestors when you think of it.

Are railways not the jurisdiction of the CP Police and RCMP as they're federal? OPP would be responsible for highway blockades.

milnews.ca said:
I haven't seen media ask him or the Premier why the OPP haven't gone in yet, but even with a Team Blue government, I suspect Ontario & the OPP may be thinking carefully given previous events.

National Post

14 Feb., 2020

This is Doug Ford's Caledonia moment
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt-gurney-doug-fords-caledonia-moment

This is Ford's Caledonia moment. The country is watching to see how he does.

PuckChaser said:
Are railways not the jurisdiction of the CP Police and RCMP as they're federal? OPP would be responsible for highway blockades.

I have been asking the same question.  CN and CP Railway Police have jurisdiction within 500m of railroad property, so why aren't the railway police taking the lead on this with significant OPP support?

What's CN's angle in all of this?  My take is CN doesn't want a pipeline built as that will take away business from their railroad.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I have been asking the same question.  CN and CP Railway Police have jurisdiction within 500m of railroad property, so why aren't the railway police taking the lead on this with significant OPP support?

What's CN's angle in all of this?  My take is CN doesn't want a pipeline built as that will take away business from their railroad.

You may be on to something. 

CN police threatened to arrest a journalist for trespassing while letting protesters stay there, weird world.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/watch-police-officer-threatens-to-arrest-journalist-covering-anti-pipeline-blockade/

But I doubt CN is happy about losing the amount of money they are losing daily because of these protests.

Remius said:
But I doubt CN is happy about losing the amount of money they are losing daily because of these protests.

Probably not. Considering how quickly they settled the 8-day strike in late November last year.

CNR Strike 2019 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/131528.0
2 pages.

Ahh... if only the ghost of Sir Percy Girouard was around.

(Google him;  I'll wait.  He did OK running railroads... for an RMC guy  ;D )

Journeyman said:
Ahh... if only the ghost of Sir Percy Girouard was around.

(Google him;  I'll wait.  He did OK running railroads... for an RMC guy  ;D )

An amazing Canadian,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Girouard

>"We are not a country where politicians can order the police to do something,...".

All this buck-passing is degrading the images of the politicians or police.  Police have powers of arrest without the say-so of politicians.  People expect to see laws enforced, without the fancy decoration of court orders and other declarations.

PuckChaser said:
If that's the case, I can see them being quite pleased to be out of it.

In Ontario,

Despite Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) delivering an injunction obtained by CN to protesters at the Tyendinaga site over the weekend, no action has been taken to step in and arrest the protesters.

On Thursday, OPP East Region spokesperson Bill Dickson said there were no imminent plans for arrests.

“Our goal is to seek a safe and peaceful resolution to this situation,” Dickson said Friday in an emailed statement.

“The proper use of police discretion is a valid, appropriate approach to de-escalating situations such as this. The proper exercise of police discretion should not be confused with a lack of enforcement.”

Dickson continued, saying officers are calling on protesters to abide by CN’s injunction, but the OPP “respects the right of everyone to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6551010/ontario-rail-blockade-protests/

In Toronto,

Protesters in Toronto disrupted rail traffic in the northwest end of the city to show support for the Wet’suwet’en First Nation in northern British Columbia.

The group met in Dovercourt Park on Saturday morning and marched north to the tracks near Dupont Street and Bartlett Avenue.

( Metro Toronto ) Police were on scene and officers told CP24 that as long as the protest remains peaceful, they have no intention in intervening.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-protesters-block-railway-tracks-in-support-of-wet-suwet-en-first-nation-1.4803067

Toronto Police told CP24 that they are aware of the protest, but as long as the demonstrations remain peaceful, officers will not take any action.

DEMONSTRATION:
Shanly St + Hallam St

- protest of pipeline being built
- several people walking on or near railroad tracks
- CP rail trains have stopped travel
- officers o/s #GO273901
^ep2
Toronto Police Operations (@TPSOperations) February 8, 2020

Protesters block rail line near Dupont and Dufferin in support of Coastal GasLink pipeline opponents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/go-train-via-rail-cp-british-columbia-pipeline-protests-1.5457179

Toronto police said earlier Saturday that they were speaking with organizers of the rally to come to an understanding.

I can’t remember who brought up the point but the example used was “what if gun owners blocked trains to stop gun legislation?”  I agree that it would be over in a matter of hours.

I doubt that it will, though, because there are potentially too many firearm owners for government to intervene without declaring a public order emergency.  Firearms owners should be paying attention, taking notes, and counting heads.  For the sake of short-term political benefit, governments of the day are setting a new long-term standard: holding the economy hostage will be permitted.  Protests are most effective (economy of effort) at points of pressure: railroads, ports, airports, and the assorted major traffic defiles (bridges, tunnels, major intersections).  A guess: if firearms owners demonstrate that they understand what is happening right now and can muster a much larger protest base, governments will do the smart thing and not poke the nest in the first place.

Or, governments can restore public order now and deliver the message that they can and will do so in future.

Back