• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada-US Trade Relations

Rifleman62 said:
Stop eating Kellogg cereals. All made in the good old USA.

While you are at it, stop purchasing these brands if you want to boycott US products and companies.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/consumer-brands-owned-ten-companies-graphic_n_1458812    Updated 12/06/2017

Extract: A ginormous number of brands are controlled by just 10 multinationals, according to this amazing infographic from French blog Convergence Alimentaire. Now we can see just how many products are owned by Kraft, Coca-Cola, General Mills, Kellogg's, Mars, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, P&G and Nestlé.

(Disclaimer: We are not sure how up-to-date the graphic is. For example, it has not been updated to reflect P&G's sale of Pringles to Kellogg's in February 2012.)
Not bad, I only need to find replacements for Tylenol, Pampers, Tide and dawn.

Good2Golf said:
In fairness, they do buy Canadian tomatoes and make the ketchup in Canada, but...

G2G

I doubt many companies are entirely "American" or "Canadian", particularly if they are publicly traded. I think the idea is more along the lines of what you said about where the end product in made. French's ketchup is made in Canada so "good", Heinz is made in America so "bad". Much like the proposed auto tariffs that will impact "American" car companies like Fiat-Chrysler, and GM, because they dare make "American" cars in Canada.

It's a minor point, but in the age of looming trade wars I find myself less interested in American made when a suitable alternative from Europe or Asia is available. Prior to the current issues it was the opposite, I would prefer to support Canadian or American over others when possible. I know my Sgt's pay isn't going to make a difference, but if enough Canadians start thinking that way it might have a small impact.

Altair said:
My parents usually take a Summer Trip to NYC, to visit family for a week or so.

They are visiting family in Toronto instead this year. It's not surprising to see this as a easy grassroots protest of America.

Anecdotal but yeah, some extended family of mine cancelled their winter stay in Florida.  3 Couples.  They are opting for Dominican instead. 

Furniture said:
I doubt many companies are entirely "American" or "Canadian", particularly if they are publicly traded. I think the idea is more along the lines of what you said about where the end product in made. French's ketchup is made in Canada so good, Heinz made in America so bad. Much like the proposed auto tariffs that will impact "American" car companies like Fiat-Chrysler, and GM.

It's a minor point, but in the age of looming trade wars I find myself less interested in American made when a suitable alternative from Europe or Asia is available. Prior to the current issues it was the opposite, I would prefer to support Canadian or American over others when possible. I know my Sgt's pay isn't going to make a difference, but if enough Canadians start thinking that way it might have a small impact.

You may be amazed at what "small but numerous" can achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbWnJGlyMU

And that's just a kid-age level explanation (doing that in case President Trump is monitoring.  ;D )

This conversation highlights the degree of both global integration and extreme concentration of wealth / structure that characterises the global economy within which all countries trade, and all of its citizens thrive or strive. 

There is little utility to economic nativism in such a construct, and hence the futility of the US initiated tariff imbroglio....

Altright I totally caved to the #BoycottUSA thing.

I was going to buy a $629.06 Spartan Blades Difensa knife (made in USA) but my wife I decided I was an idiot would be patriotic.    :cdn:

Jarnhamar said:
Altright I totally caved to the #BoycottUSA thing.

I was going to buy a $629.06 Spartan Blades Difensa knife (made in USA) but my wife I decided I was an idiot would be patriotic.    :cdn:
I've got one,  good knife. Thankfully I used acquittance roll so the wife barely saw the 150 bucks a month missing out of my pay for 3 months...

Remius said:
I tried finding any produce made in Canada at my grocery store.  Very little there but at least I am now supporting my local farmer's market for that.  But come winter that won't be too easy to do though.

My wife and I grow enough vegetables to keep us going till Mar/Apr on a postage stamp size lot..Tomato plants along the fence line netted us 100 lbs of tomatoes 2 seasons ago - we process and can stewed tomatoes, Spaghetti sauce and Salsa -...yes it is a lot of work but worth it...when the veggies run out into the spring we go to the Hutterite colony and buy enough to last us till the fall....they also supply us with our chickens - the size of baby turkey's......

For beef - by the side +/- $1500 cut, wrapped and frozen- and pork  - whole pig $400 with bacon and ham smoked, cut, wrapped and frozen - we buy from the Olds College which is an Agricultural college and raise their own livestock as well as doing the butchering- best beef in Alberta.....

Where there is a will, there is a way.....

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 135
Gonna have to  check out Primo ketchup

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• 36541798_10156761531468689_8946788340699496448_n.jpg
    36541798_10156761531468689_8946788340699496448_n.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 163
PuckChaser said:
I've got one,  good knife. Thankfully I used acquittance roll so the wife barely saw the 150 bucks a month missing out of my pay for 3 months...

Wanna sell it, brudder?;)
Also think it's worth going price of $630 for a new one?

Jarnhamar said:
Wanna sell it, brudder?;)
Also think it's worth going price of $630 for a new one?

Mine has personalized etching so not for sale  ;D. We got them directly from Spartan for about $450 CAD. First run of them for us was $300 CAD, then the dollar took a dump. Its a good knife, definitely designed for killing human beings as its heavy and sharp.

It's fine to say buy made in Canada goods and travel to Canadian holiday locations. Buy Canadian is not anything new. Here are some reports from CBC archives in 1982 on the government campaign to Buy Canadian.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/one-citys-buy-canadian-campaign

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/buy-canadian-read-the-label

Here is a CBC Radio clip from 1977 with textile workers urging people to Buy Canadian.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/textile-workers-implore-buy-canadian

The Buy Canadian campaign is even older as shown in this CBC Radio interview from 1961.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/buy-canadian-a-simple-sad-little-plea

It seems right now the goal of buying Canadian goods is just to poke the US, or more particularly President Trump, in the eye. I am a firm believer in buying the goods made in your own country. I would go all the way down to supporting your local businesses.

Much of the drop in US shopping and visits has to do with the value of our dollar as it does patriotism. I don't see Canada's imports being much affected by a psuedo-boycott

As long as the Great Canadian Superstore keeps ordering and selling Heinz ketchup, the boycott will be inneffectual. Products need to be boycotted at the corporate level, not the personal level.

recceguy said:
Much of the drop in US shopping and visits has to do with the value of our dollar as it does patriotism. I don't see Canada's imports being much affected by a psuedo-boycott

As long as the Great Canadian Superstore keeps ordering and selling Heinz ketchup, the boycott will be inneffectual. Products need to be boycotted at the corporate level, not the personal level.
If people stop buying Heinz ketchup, the great canadian superstop will stop ordering more.

Altair said:
If people stop buying Heinz ketchup, the great canadian superstop will stop ordering more.

Price it 10 cents cheaper than the Canadian brand and watch it fly off the shelves. Typical Canadians will pick their pocketbook over patriotism

My point is, in this case, a consumer boycott is inneffectual and I doubt it'll have the effects that the anti Trumpers are hoping for.

Trump wants to put off NAFTA until after the Nov mid terms.

I want it put off until Trudeau and his caucus are replaced with sane, business savvy people that know how to negotiate a trade pact without all Trudeau's social engineering clauses.

recceguy said:
Price it 10 cents cheaper than the Canadian brand and watch it fly off the shelves. Typical Canadians will pick their pocketbook over patriotism

My point is, in this case, a consumer boycott is inneffectual and I doubt it'll have the effects that the anti Trumpers are hoping for.

Trump wants to put off NAFTA until after the Nov mid terms.

I want it put off until Trudeau and his caucus are replaced with sane, business savvy people that know how to negotiate a trade pact without all Trudeau's social engineering clauses.
I also want it put off until after the mid terms, because if the Democrats take congress there will be no further negotiations and the current, mostly fine, trade deal will continue on.

Also, even if Trudeau is replaced by sane, business savvy people that know how to negotiate a trade pact without all Trudeau's social engineering clauses as you say, you think Sheer is giving up on supply management? You know, the actual holdup, that and the sunset clause, not any social engineering clauses.

Don't hold your breathe, the dairy lobby owns both sides of the aisle in Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/majority-of-canadians-support-trudeau-s-trade-tactics-with-trump-nanos-survey-1.4005105

Despite angering U.S. President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s bold assertion that Canada “will not be pushed around” by America on trade earned the support of most Canadians, a new Nanos Research survey suggests.

The report, commissioned by CTV News and The Globe and Mail and released Sunday, shows that Trudeau’s handling of the tricky trade relationship with Trump has earned the support of the majority of Canadians.

The survey also found that a majority of Canadians are optimistic that Canada’s economic interests will be met if NAFTA is renegotiated.

Following the G7 summit in Charlevoix, Que., Trudeau held a press conference where he insisted that Canada won’t be pushed around by the U.S. The statement angered Trump, who called Trudeau “meek and mild” during G7 talks.

Seven in 10 Canadians supported Trudeau’s move, with 53 per cent of respondents agreeing that the statement was a good idea and 23 per cent calling it a somewhat good idea. Only 22 per cent said it was a bad idea or a somewhat bad idea.

Captain Canada at work.

In seriousness, if the economy does take a hit, I think most Canadians realize that there is not much Canada could have done to prevent it.

recceguy said:

Call me disloyal but with the amount of money our government wastes on stupid shit I'll stick with whatever Katchup tastes the best- which for me is Heinz.

Jarnhamar said:
Call me disloyal but with the amount of money our government wastes on stupid crap I'll stick with whatever Katchup tastes the best- which for me is Heinz.
Disloyal.

Back