• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

The Beothuk in Newfoundland would like to argue that point, if they could…

Good example. A fate the Quebecois would like to avoid.

I’ve got friends from there, generally most of them even with names like Levesque don’t care about the language as they view their culture more in food than language.

Unlike Canada, we pride ourselves on being a melting pot, not a mixed salad. (I was going to use the word tossed, but that could be misconstrued;) ) America is a blend of cultures where despite the efforts of Irish in Boston and Italians in NY and Chicago we try to assimilate every group into the country to promote a larger sense of country (and culture given the relative age of North America European culture compared to Europe).

Different country. Different perspective. And this is something even most Anglocanadians don't even fully understand. The Quebecois don't see themselves as just another immigrant group. They see themselves as a founding people in this country. Not only were they first Europeans to establish themselves in North America, they developed strong and unique relationships with aboriginals with cultural influences that continue to this day. So no, they won't just randomly give up their culture (of which their language is a big part) just because the Irish changed their accents to fit in to Boston. And we must not forget that this was litigated to the point that the country nearly broke up. So it's not a small matter.

Admittedly as a really terrible French speaker despite taking it till grade 12, I’ve never had an issue in Montreal or even Quebec City, getting by in English

High school French is mostly useless when it comes to talking. And there are memes about the Americans and Anglocanadians who think they can speak French because they took it in high school. Think "Emily in Paris". That said, you might get better treatment if you tried to talk French to Francophones.

Last edited:
YYF.- Former RCAF Station Penticton, currently very active municipal airport and wildfire base. Room for more large hangars.

737 routinely fly in/out and Boeing has an office there. I’ve seen Hercs on the ramp as well.

Great place to live. Lots of cherries, mountains, skiing, golf, hiking, camping, hunting, boating. Very mild winters, nice hot dry summers. Close to YLW, connect to anywhere. Good public schools, colleges, UBC all nearby. Seems to be affordable. Acreages abound.
Drive up to my place and cowboy about.
You seem to be under the assumption that our future AEW aircraft will be the E-7 Wedgetail.

Can't remember what site I read it on (Canadian Defence Review?), but the author suggested it was no coincidence that Bombardier all of a sudden dropped their complaints about the P-8 being selected for the CMMA project just before the Government announces the planned purchase of AEW aircraft.

I certainly won't be shocked if (when) the Globaleye is selected over the E-7.

You seem to be under the assumption that our future AEW aircraft will be the E-7 Wedgetail.

Can't remember what site I read it on (Canadian Defence Review?), but the author suggested it was no coincidence that Bombardier all of a sudden dropped their complaints about the P-8 being selected for the CMMA project just before the Government announces the planned purchase of AEW aircraft.

It would not be terrible if Globaleye gets the nod.

On topic the reason to avoid Mirabel isn't because of French. We stood up 2 Wing in Bagotville without really thinking about whether anglo spouses would be able to move there. So I doubt that would be a barrier to setting up a new unit at Mirabel. The simple reason to set up at an existing MOB is simply to leverage existing base services. If it's going to be in the area, better Ottawa than Mirabel, in that regard. But most likely an existing maritime patrol, transport or fighter base. Or long shot North Bay just because their wing is there.

It would not be terrible if Globaleye gets the nod.

There's more than one Bombardier option. Here's the other (arguably better) one:

And if combined with a VVIP fleet replacement, all based in Ottawa, it'd be quite the coup for both the RCAF and Bombardier. It also gives us a possible lead in to working with the US on a SIGINT/ELINT capability if we want to get into that game:

So while there will be lots of folks disappointed if the Wedgetail isn't picked, it's not at all certain the Wedgetail is necessarily the best choice here.

Common airframe for RCAF would make too much sense.

There's more than one Bombardier option. Here's the other (arguably better) one:

And if combined with a VVIP fleet replacement, all based in Ottawa, it'd be quite the coup for both the RCAF and Bombardier. It also gives us a possible lead in to working with the US on a SIGINT/ELINT capability if we want to get into that game:

So while there will be lots of folks disappointed if the Wedgetail isn't picked, it's not at all certain the Wedgetail is necessarily the best choice here.
I’d suggest the E-7’s range/endurance is a feather for it, versus the GlobalEye, as well as the greater range and 360degree of the radar.
Not fully understanding the size/space requirements for the system, I would guess that the E-7 also has a lot more room for growth.

The question that could be asked is whether or not the RCAF could conduct the missions better with say 5 E-7 and 6-8 of the 6500 in HADES?

Using a HADES to shadow/second airframe the VVIP flights in listening only mode.

Speaking of French, the greatest revenge English Canada can have on Quebec is we all learn Parisian French.

Tabernac. Chalice. Esti.

Honestly, this difference between Quebec and Parisian French is very exaggerated. And usually brought up by those who don't have base level fluency so believe it's the accent that throws them off.

I’d suggest the E-7’s range/endurance is a feather for it, versus the GlobalEye, as well as the greater range and 360degree of the radar.
Not fully understanding the size/space requirements for the system, I would guess that the E-7 also has a lot more room for growth.

The E-7 is a much more capable aircraft. But that comes with costs. More $$$ to acquire. More $$$ to operate. Larger crews, which is a big ask for a force struggling with numbers.

The question that could be asked is whether or not the RCAF could conduct the missions better with say 5 E-7 and 6-8 of the 6500 in HADES?

I'd say the more important (likely) question is which option will likely impact economy and industry more. Should be added that the HADES was not suggested as an alternative to the E-7. Potentially an add-on capability to a 6500 GlobaEye/CAEW.

Tabernac. Chalice. Esti.

Honestly, this difference between Quebec and Parisian French is very exaggerated. And usually brought up by those who don't have base level fluency so believe it's the accent that throws them off.

Perhaps things have changed, I haven't been to France since the '70's. However, back then, the French would rather we converse in English than Quebecois. They called it Garbage Can French and were not very enamoured when you tried to use it.

Perhaps things have changed, I haven't been to France since the '70's. However, back then, the French would rather we converse in English than Quebecois. They called it Garbage Can French and were not very enamoured when you tried to use it.

Sure. But this isn't a question about the French people, some of whom can be snooty. This is about anglophones who routinely insist they can't understand French because they were taught "Parisian French". This is like a non-English speaker saying they can't speak to any Americans because they learnt British English. We'd find that absurd.

Also, I think most Quebecois would be happy if the rest of us learned more French regardless of which slang and accent we picked up.

This is a long off-topic sidebar. But we'd also be better off as a country if more us anglophones learned French. And this is an area where the CAF the broader federal government has kinda failed us by making so difficult to get SLT.

It's one thing learning the language, it's another using it enough to stay proficient.
Definitely. But if you got an oral B at some point in your career, it's highly unlikely you would drop down to zero. You'd probably pick it up within days of immersion. Say on TD to Quebec.

Split it off into another topic than. I can speak Northern Ontario French and that’s always got me by in Quebec and France. Even (for most part) Haiti.

However, now settled in BC, having another founding language does one very little good and while a person might be better off with it terms of the 1955-2006 Laurentianite view of the world, it counts for naught.

Hindi, Mandarin, and most importantly a local subset of the Athabaskan languages would be good. Unless the conversation is about money, then it’s all English.

Reactions: ytz
you must have been in Paris. They don't even talk to their own people from Normandy

There's more than one way to achieve commonality though. Wedgetail with P-8s is one way. GlobalEye/Global CAEW with a Global VVIP fleet is another way. And the second way actually saves AEW airframe life, because the VVIP aircraft can be used for pilot currency.
That implies buying a fleet of VVIP just to have the GlobalEye. Fine, but that cost should be part of the overall bid if it forms a driving part of the overall offering.
I’m personally not keen on supporting a particular industry player (that’s a government political requirement not a military requirement) so much as standing up a capability. I also don’t think it’s Bombardiers fault they are a casual part time player in military airframes, that is the fault of the Canadian governments with their 50 year attitude of disdain for supporting defence procurement. If GlobalEye/Global CAEW is the better platform and all at a similar cost and it won’t be a unicorn fleet, then by all means. That puts Canada on par with the UAE and Sweden for platform but it should not be acquired just because “it’s Canadian”. That door was closed starting in 1968.

Also, to what extent would AAR be a platform requirement.

Back