• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada needs US permission to make 250 LAV III monuments

They buy a lot of stuff too - whole vehicles and aircraft, parts, materials.

The US buys stuff from us, as well. Even they do not make everything themselves.

dapaterson said:
Fear.

Surprise.

Ruthless efficiency.

A fanatical devotion to the Pope.

So… What your saying is that we should be expecting the Spanish Inquisition? But no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

cupper said:
So… What your saying is that we should be expecting the Spanish Inquisition? But no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm OK with it, IF they bring the comfy chair to torture me with.  :nod:

With respect to adding 250 military monuments.... I would to wonder....  do we need another 250? That someone will have to service in perpetuity?
Each town and city has it's cenotaph & monument... Spend the money on the vets & programs to educate our school kids.

"Servicing"? A coat of paint every ten years? That would come out of the municipal budget, not DVA. There is no connection between the two.

Monuments are part of education. Monuments connect people to their histories. Municipalities also maintain museums for that purpose, which cost more in salaries, utilities, and building maintenance than a coat of paint every ten years. Monuments are outdoor museum exhibits that tend to be seen by more people.

dapaterson said:
Fear.

Surprise.

Ruthless efficiency.

A fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Oh, you got me with a mouthfull of coffee.  Spat it everywhere.

Well played.

I might have oversimplified things a little bit but, considering that some citzens have to deal with postponed retirement, reduced government health services, delays in treatment, and the like, I think placing the 250 LAVIIIs in semi private historical collections is a better / wiser use of resources.

What I don't understand is why, Canada, needs permission from the USA to create hollowed out monuments of the LAVIII? The LAV-III was designed and manufactured right here in our own backyard by the Canadian Division of General Dynamics Land Systems. Bunch of Bologna if you ask me.

For people wanting to know more about the LAV Monument project and the funding as well as long-term upkeep; here's the website:

http://lavmonument.ca/en/index.html

Although the LAV / mowag family of vehicles was developed in a number of countries, esp Switzerland & Canada, some of the ideas & components that made it into the final production model, come from the USA (turrets & RWS). Also, general dynamics, an american firm, is the new owner of GM diesel.
If we want to continue having access to US arms & equipment, then we must comply & ask for their blessing...

Robert0288 said:
The metal itself might be ITAR.

Seems some sort of decision has been made:

Dear Friends,

You and your guests are warmly invited to join the ‪#‎MakeFrederictonFirst‬ team and our Minister of Veteran's Affairs, The Honourable Erin O'Toole CD, for the dedication of the site for the Memorial LAV at the Oromocto Cenotaph at 9AM Friday 19 June 2015.

Please also join us for an early VIP reception with coffee, tea and sweets at 8AM at the Hazen Centre at 994 Onondaga Street. Parking is available there, and a bus will be provided to take people from the reception to the cenotaph and back.

We will be joined by the Golden Club Men's Choir and a piper from Base Gagetown. The ceremony should be concluded by 10AM. Regimental, Association or Legion dress with medals is encouraged. Please RSVP to MakeFrederictonFirst@gmail.com or call 453-8461, and make mention of any mobility, dietary or other concerns.

All are welcome, so please circulate this invitation widely, especially to friends and family. Please continue to check out our website at www.MakeFrederictonFirst.com! You can even participate in the exciting conversation on Twitter with the hashtag #MakeFrederictonFirst.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Brian

Brian Macdonald

MLA for Fredericton West-Hanwell

Chair of #MakeFrederictonFirst Committee

George Wallace said:
Seems some sort of decision has been made:
And the government is making a similar announcement in Toronto this morning ....
The Honourable Erin O’Toole, Minister of Veterans Affairs, with Canada Company, will deliver remarks at the Canadian Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV III) Monument Program announcement.

The Canadian Light Armoured Vehicle Program will recycle and repurpose up to 250 LAV IIIs used by Canadian troops in Afghanistan that can no longer be used in combat into monuments across the country. The 250 LAV IIIs will be provided to qualifying communities.

Corus Quay
    25 Dockside Drive
    Toronto, Ontario
Date:
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Time:
    9:30 am (Program begins) ....

Back