• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

My wife is a dual U.S. citizen. She loves the States, but loves Canada too.

Not that one country is better or worse than than the other. Just personal preference. We talked about it when I retired 15 years ago.
I love the Arizona desert in Spring. I can handle the cold. But, do not like the wet.

We avoid toxic religious and political zealots.

I have an EU passport. My mother did the paperwork.
We have no desire to leave the New World for the Old World.

Our forebears looked back with no regrets on the boat coming over.

Again, not that one country is better or worse than than the other. Just personal preference.

Plenty of creepy crawlies in AZ too! 😨

After Trudeau told the banks to freeze accounts......I moved money.

I know many who moved to the US.

The funny part is I bet more Canadians moved to the states because of Trudeau than Americans because of orange man bad.

The funny part is I bet more Canadians moved to the states because of Trudeau than Americans because of orange man bad.
There's a stronger, more tangible impetus for moving away from the place where the air hurts your face 6 months a year. ❄️

I would like to move eventually. If the right job materializes, I def will.

The problem with Canada is entirely cultural.

Median Income (not average) is low and there is very little growth.

See:

The Liberal Party bastions like Québec and Southern Ontario are even worse and you've got substantial portions of the population participating in some sort of Government benefits scheme.

I'd wager a majority of people are net takers of State benefits and will vote for anyone offering "free" benefits.

For at least the past 15 years, more people in Ontario vote for the Conservative Party than all 4 western provinces combined. Yet still they lose seats as often as they win.
Rural south western Ontario is /was far more conservative in values, outlook and norms than most of the West. Even the odd Liberal who gets elected is far more Conservative than what we have today. I’m speaking rural, not urban such as London or Kitchener Waterloo, which are both a mess of Marxists, Islamists, and Climate Goons.
I live in a very conservative part of B.C. it is not even close to being as culturally conservative as, for example, Huron Perth. Many people around here demand their government handouts but won’t fully report their income, for example.

For at least the past 15 years, more people in Ontario vote for the Conservative Party than all 4 western provinces combined. Yet still they lose seats as often as they win.
Rural south western Ontario is /was far more conservative in values, outlook and norms than most of the West. Even the odd Liberal who gets elected is far more Conservative than what we have today. I’m speaking rural, not urban such as London or Kitchener Waterloo, which are both a mess of Marxists, Islamists, and Climate Goons.
I live in a very conservative part of B.C. it is not even close to being as culturally conservative as, for example, Huron Perth. Many people around here demand their government handouts but won’t fully report their income, for example.
conservatism is very mucha wide spectrum in canada, even in Alberta, one could argue our provincial parties are verying degrees of conservative influence despite being named liberal or new democrat.

I'd wager a majority of people are net takers of State benefits and will vote for anyone offering "free" benefits.

Bingo for the Maritimes. Wide swaths of these folks believe, down to the cockles of the hearts, that they are owed something by the GoC and the rest of Canada.

They want everything, but are willing to contribute very little.

For those of you thinking about heading over to Australia...

My sister lived there for a few years, a few years ago (before she got deported because her airline tickets home were dated 1 day after the date they gave her to leave, and as such she got a 5 year ban)

But while there, she was coming home from work one day & cane across a spider that's legs touched all corners of her front door 🤯 she actually went to a neighbour's house she had never met and asked if she could stay until someone she lived with got home

So yeah, f*k no...not for me! But having the air hurt my face isn't really for me either *sigh

Service equals citizenship…
Personally - I'm currently in the application process (Reserves) as a Permanent Resident - I don't think service needs to necessarily confer citizenship.

It's not why I'm applying, anyway. I want an interesting job where I can learn new skills and, yes, pay something back to my new country. I don't feel that Canada owes me anything - but I do think that I owe Canada something for the opportunity to live here.

I will likely apply for citizenship down the road anyway, but if service gave citizenship I don't think it would have made me any more or less likely to apply.

Would be great if the waiting times weren't quite so long, mind...

My experience is decades old and I would generally agree with you, with the caveat that perhaps education / training should perhaps be included in that list.

A military job that is adventurous, dangerous and gives you skills / training to set you up in a career (within the military.... or not) might attract a wider audience.

My experience is that lots of folks joined the military for the training and education opportunities. Is that still somewhat valid?
I would say yes and yes.

Personally - I'm currently in the application process (Reserves) as a Permanent Resident - I don't think service needs to necessarily confer citizenship.

It's not why I'm applying, anyway. I want an interesting job where I can learn new skills and, yes, pay something back to my new country. I don't feel that Canada owes me anything - but I do think that I owe Canada something for the opportunity to live here.

I will likely apply for citizenship down the road anyway, but if service gave citizenship I don't think it would have made me any more or less likely to apply.

Would be great if the waiting times weren't quite so long, mind...
Recruiting process was already lengthy for citizens, I imagine it gets considerably longer when you have to run security checks on PRs and their foreign past.

Recruiting process was already lengthy for citizens, I imagine it gets considerably longer when you have to run security checks on PRs and their foreign past.
It does indeed...

To be fair, it is understandable and they should do very thorough checks, so no fault, no foul - but I've been given an estimate of as much as a possible 2 year wait. I'll still be here for that, if I have to, because I really want to do it, but I would imagine a large percentage of folks probably end up fading out of the process if years go by.

Back