• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

Ahhh yes Shannon, she was the Filipino Lady who said something along the lines of:

"everyone here likes curling, hockey and darts which are Canadian things to like that I was never really interested in before but I wanted to meet people and make some friends so I got in to them"

That then got turned in to "Shannon was forced to hurl rocks against her will by the evil white colonial oppressors".

I actually related to Shannon's plight a little bit. On my last deployment, we had a majority of our Wardroom that were Asian (either Korean or Chinese). It was COVID and we were confined to the Ship in most ports but every port visit we would order in takeout to give the cooks a break.

They wanted to make it fair so they told the Wardroom they could vote on what food establishment they wanted takeout from. The Asians would get together and all vote for some form of Asian cuisine.... every single time.

It's boring and is generally some variant of rice or noodle with low quality meat and some sort of broth to give it flavour.

This went on for 5 months straight. We got to Australia and I said "finally some opportunity for quality food"... I meticulously researched top restaurants and found an Italian place that was the highest rated restaurant in Darwin. We put it to a vote and guess what.... they voted for some shit hole place selling noodles in a box with like a 2.9/5 rating on Trip Advisor LOL.

I was pissed but whatever, it's what they wanted and they had the majority vote so I just drank more beer to compensate...

When we got to NZ and were allowed ashore, my buddy Tony (Korean guy) told me they were all going out for dinner for some Asian cuisine and asked if I wanted to join them?

I said to Tony ... "Absolutely not, if I never have another variant of noodles again, it will be too soon".

I went to a top steak house in Auckland, bought a $300.00 piece of Waygu Beef and a $100.00 bottle of Red Wine. That was probably the best meal I have ever had for various reasons.
HOW DO YOU NOT LIKE PAD THAT!?

Japanese Beer is also delicious! I actually like Japanese Food a lot.
Tracking so far.
Hate Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese dishes...
Heretic
Indonesian Food was absolute trash and took the cake for worst cuisine out there.
I've had some fantastic Indonesian food.
Worst meat by far was Camel... tasted like someone took a Moose and fed it Fertilizer lol.

Sri Lankan Food is good, they also make unreal good beer.

Funny how these academics bang on about "whiteness" (Whats the legal definition of the word? Ohhh)

However the Prime Dictator was given a free pass by many for his 3 X Black face incidents.

These social academics only find issues where they want to.

Forty years of selling, commissioning and trouble-shooting the plants I sold and every in every instance my effort started on the plant floor with the operators. Neither the managers nor I know what we don't know until we talk to the folks operating the kit every day.
must be nice to live in that kind of world. Eurocontrol didn't have a single valid ATC license working on the safety aspects of SESAR. Ditto for the FAA and NextGen although they did have a list of senior supervisors that they called upon for technical support. Transport Canada doesn't have a valid ATC license on board either and those expired licenses they do consult date back to the late 90's. To put things in the open, that information in itself is a decade old. I would be happy to learn that things have changed. Australia hired an academic to head up their ATC school; the job description read something like knowledge of current control practices is desirable. I just read the information out on the lawsuit filed against Spirit Systems vis-a-vis the 737-9. Appears as a case where management over road safety. But that is to be determined.

It would seem that there is a very mixed standard in safety. On the floor, where accidents result directly in injury those concerned have input. In places where the 10 to the minus 7 likelihood of failure is the standard to be met not so much

must be nice to live in that kind of world. Eurocontrol didn't have a single valid ATC license working on the safety aspects of SESAR. Ditto for the FAA and NextGen although they did have a list of senior supervisors that they called upon for technical support. Transport Canada doesn't have a valid ATC license on board either and those expired licenses they do consult date back to the late 90's. To put things in the open, that information in itself is a decade old. I would be happy to learn that things have changed. Australia hired an academic to head up their ATC school; the job description read something like knowledge of current control practices is desirable. I just read the information out on the lawsuit filed against Spirit Systems vis-a-vis the 737-9. Appears as a case where management over road safety. But that is to be determined.

It would seem that there is a very mixed standard in safety. On the floor, where accidents result directly in injury those concerned have input. In places where the 10 to the minus 7 likelihood of failure is the standard to be met not so much

Just to be clear, the plants I supplied were subject to multiple rules and regulations ranging from private through corporate, municipal, provincial, federal and international. Regardless of the regulations involved everything is dependent on that 95 percentile humanoid on the floor. Everything starts there.

It doesn’t help recruiting when our symbols, our founders and our collective history are denigrated by the very institutions whose job it is to defend those things. When we are constantly being told that we live in a “white supremest colonial settler state”, our imperfect founders of 100-400 years ago are held to today’s standards of perfection social justice and their statues and honours are being removed, and our symbols such as the constitutional monarchy, the flags (national and provincial) the Crown and our collective history are denigrated or ignored by our institutions, who would want to sign up to defend such a country with one’s life?

I’m all in favour of acknowledging and correcting past wrongs and working to make sure everyone is included in this great project some guys started on Charlottetown over 150 years ago, but not at the cost of living in a post-national state.

Most of the members where I work go against this trend as they are not the defined white colonist.

It doesn’t help recruiting when our symbols, our founders and our collective history are denigrated by the very institutions whose job it is to defend those things. When we are constantly being told that we live in a “white supremest colonial settler state”, our imperfect founders of 100-400 years ago are held to today’s standards of perfection social justice and their statues and honours are being removed, and our symbols such as the constitutional monarchy, the flags (national and provincial) the Crown and our collective history are denigrated or ignored by our institutions, who would want to sign up to defend such a country with one’s life?

I’m all in favour of acknowledging and correcting past wrongs and working to make sure everyone is included in this great project some guys started on Charlottetown over 150 years ago, but not at the cost of living in a post-national state.

Looking on the bright side - If HAMAS is the standard then MacDonald, Dundas and Ryerson look pretty good.

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo
Ahhh yes Shannon, she was the Filipino Lady who said something along the lines of:

"everyone here likes curling, hockey and darts which are Canadian things to like that I was never really interested in before but I wanted to meet people and make some friends so I got in to them"

That then got turned in to "Shannon was forced to hurl rocks against her will by the evil white colonial oppressors".

I actually related to Shannon's plight a little bit. On my last deployment, we had a majority of our Wardroom that were Asian (either Korean or Chinese). It was COVID and we were confined to the Ship in most ports but every port visit we would order in takeout to give the cooks a break.

They wanted to make it fair so they told the Wardroom they could vote on what food establishment they wanted takeout from. The Asians would get together and all vote for some form of Asian cuisine.... every single time.

It's boring and is generally some variant of rice or noodle with low quality meat and some sort of broth to give it flavour.

This went on for 5 months straight. We got to Australia and I said "finally some opportunity for quality food"... I meticulously researched top restaurants and found an Italian place that was the highest rated restaurant in Darwin. We put it to a vote and guess what.... they voted for some shit hole place selling noodles in a box with like a 2.9/5 rating on Trip Advisor LOL.

I was pissed but whatever, it's what they wanted and they had the majority vote so I just drank more beer to compensate...

When we got to NZ and were allowed ashore, my buddy Tony (Korean guy) told me they were all going out for dinner for some Asian cuisine and asked if I wanted to join them?

I said to Tony ... "Absolutely not, if I never have another variant of noodles again, it will be too soon".

I went to a top steak house in Auckland, bought a $300.00 piece of Waygu Beef and a $100.00 bottle of Red Wine. That was probably the best meal I have ever had for various reasons.
Clearly, a white colonial oppressor who is unwilling to actively celebrate and promote our diverse cultural mosaic every waking moment.

you cannot correct a wrong when the individual or group that was wronged is deceased. What you can do is take action to ensure it doesn't happen again: in other words learn from the past. You also cannot apologize for something done in the past. You didn't do it, you had no influence on the ones who did do it. Again what you can do is take action to prevent its re-occurrence. That is only common sense. Any other actions are simply showboating: trying to demonstrate how holy one is. What I am afraid that all this sanctimonious bull is doing is creating Canadians who are ashamed of being Canadians and that is really sad.

What I am afraid that all this sanctimonious bull is doing is creating Canadians who are ashamed of being Canadians and that is really sad.
Not just sad, potentially dangerous. If they see nothing about Canada/Canadian culture worth their time, they look elsewhere... Often the disaffected look to pretty extreme places to find their value/meaning.

A direct retort to "diversity above all else". It's It's a long read but worth it:

Americans living today are the inheritors of systems that created the highest standard of living in human history. Rather than protecting the competency that made those systems possible, the modern preference for diversity has attenuated meritocratic evaluation at all levels of American society. Given the damage already done to competence and morale combined with the natural exodus of baby boomers with decades worth of tacit knowledge, the biggest challenge of the coming decades might simply be maintaining the systems we have today.

The path of least resistance will be the devolution of complex systems and the reduction in the quality of life that entails. For the typical resident in a second-tier city in Mexico, Brazil, or South Africa, power outages are not uncommon, tap water is probably not safe to drink, and hospital-associated infections are common and often fatal. Absent a step change in the quality of American governance and a renewed culture of excellence, they prefigure the country’s future.

A direct retort to "diversity above all else". It's It's a long read but worth it:

Some of that can also be attributed to the actions of the governments and industries themselves. They shifted to wanting to hire only fully trained applicants rather than take people off the street and train them, or retained only the most experienced when it was time for cutbacks. Now those experienced people are retiring and they haven't trained replacements, because the replacements were cut/not hired 10+ years ago...

Back