• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

Worth a watch...

Blunt talk on military challenges is a ‘good thing,’ retired defence chief says​

Three retired Canadian defence leaders say chief of defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre making the right move in sharing public statements about the challenges facing the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) around personnel shortages, aging equipment and operational readiness.

This level of candor is not usually seen among military leaders when it comes to sharing issues with the CAF, but retired Royal Canadian Air Force commander and former chief of defence staff Gen. Tom Lawson sees it as a positive.

I think good, clear talk at this time is a good thing. And I did say earlier that I’m optimistic. I think him sharing some of these shortterm problems helps him [Gen. Wayne Eyre] deal with it,” Lawson told The West Block host Mercedes Stephenson.
And where were these folks opinion when they were at the helm. Now we know about Admiral Norman, he got fired for trying to do something but I don't recall hearing the others speaking up in public on the news about the problems in the military. Ships didn't develop rust in the last 6 months, the CF18s' were getting old and there was no replacement in sight, recruitment (except during the first few years in Afghanistan) was steadily dropping etc, etc. The governments of Canada have been negligent for a long time and the leaders of our military have been negligent in not speaking out loud and often.

There are still so many things within the CAFs control that would make things better, but it's easier to blame equipment and budget cuts.

A quick look at the complaints on Reddit or the memes posted on CNN will give you a sense of what the problem really is. Sure it would be nice to have a shiny new toy to work with, but outdated equipment or tools were never at the top of my 'why i'm going to release' list.

There are still so many things within the CAFs control that would make things better, but it's easier to blame equipment and budget cuts.

A quick look at the complaints on Reddit or the memes posted on CNN will give you a sense of what the problem really is. Sure it would be nice to have a shiny new toy to work with, but outdated equipment or tools were never at the top of my 'why i'm going to release' list.
A lot of those complaints on Reddit are specifically about outdated equipment/tools.

A lot of those complaints on Reddit are specifically about outdated equipment/tools.

...and a decline in standards, unnecessary postings, etc.

There are exit interviews being completed are there not? CAF doesn't care as long as the empire of HQs isn't affected.

Last edited:
...and a decline in standards, unnecessary postings, etc.

There are exit interviews being completed are there not? CAF doesn't care as long as the empire of HQs isn't affected.
How many people are still invested enough by the time they do an exit interview to give full answers vs. how many just want to get the thing over with and on their way?

How many people are still invested enough by the time they do an exit interview to give full answers vs. how many just want to get the thing over with and on their way?
And since a large portion of folks think that exit interviews go into the round filing cabinet, what’s their incentive to provide full (or even correct) answers?

And since a large portion of folks think that exit interviews go into the round filing cabinet, what’s their incentive to provide full (or even correct) answers?
actually anger and frustration are great incentives for truth. Unfortunately the interviewer often adds comments that negate the truths that he/she is hearing

I'd be happier if Eyre and the DM would start telling the country as to what they are doing to reduce the HQ bloat, creating more efficient processes and solving the problems facing DND/CAF. The continued bleating about needing more money is tiresome. Let's see an improvement in defence outputs with what they already have.

🍻
The vast majority of the public only think tanks, fighter jets and ships of some sort. HQ bloat - they have no idea what that is.

The issues are well known and nothing should be a surprise.

The issues are well known and nothing should be a surprise.
The issues complained about the loudest are known, but the real issues could be something less obvious. That's why you do proper data collection, so you can properly diagnose and treat the problems, not just grease the squeaky wheels.

They still do exit interviews? I thought employers dropped those years ago.

They still do exit interviews? I thought employers dropped those years ago.

Saw this about that.

Kind of interesting to see that only 7.8% get an official exit interview on why they left, but maybe they are referring to people completing the optional questionnaire, as that seems really low.

Blunt talk on military challenges is a ‘good thing,’ retired defence chief says

Re the TV interview. I found it disappointing. "BLUNT" it was not, especially from the Army fellow.

I could name several Army.ca contributors who would have done a hell of a lot better, including being "Blunt".

Back