• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can Parents Trigger Release/Withdraw Consent for Minor Recruits

As usual, a recruiting office will be your best bet to ask that question.

In practice, I suspect you will find that parental consent is required to enrol. Once enrolled, your parents play no part in the process anymore. The military is not a local sports team or boy scout troop from which, your parents can "pull you out" if, say, they don't like your college marks, etc.. Once in, you are solely in charge of your ongoing service with a reserve unit.

I other words, if parents of a 16/17 years old seaman at my reserve units came to tell me they don't want their son/daughter to serve in the military anymore, I would tell them in a nice, polite but no uncertain away to go fly a kite - it's none of their business anymore.

I may be wrong here (don't know recent decisions) but actually being a member of the CAF - with your parents authorization at the time of enrolment - has been considered a favourable fact when a minor applies for a statement of "emancipation*" from a court.

* emancipation is a legal status whereby a minor is authorized, from now on, by a court to have all of the rights (save voting) and obligations of an adult without the need for parental/guardian authorizations.

What are their concerns? Perhaps you can answers to some of their concerns on here. You can't be deployed until you are 18, so I'm not sure what the real concern would be.

Essentially telling your parents to "Fuck Off"  isn't the best course of action because you presumably live with them, however it's your life so it would be beneficial to both of you if you two can meet in the middle.

tyorke0 said:
Not sure if the this is the right spot for this but my question is if your already in the primary reserves and your parents want to take you out of it ( I am 16 ) are they able to withdraw consent and pull me out of the army?

Thanks
It takes time to leave.. you cant just hand in notice and two weeks you are out. It can takes months.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Thats on a personal side of things. You still have a job to go to. And in this case, its servicing the country.

The PRes are completely "VOLUNTARY".  The only punishment for not showing up for "Parades" and training is that the person after a period of four weeks will be put on the NES list and the Release process will begin.  If the person's parents keep them at home, causing them to miss training, then they fall under those conditions, personal or not. 

The way this discussion is going is all speculation.  No one, except the OP, knows what circumstances the OP is finding themself in.  If it continues for too long, the OP will have likely moved out, got married, and raise kids who they can then sign authorization to join the PRes.

Ryan_T said:
Thats on a personal side of things. You still have a job to go to. And in this case, its servicing the country.

:rofl:

Did you really intend that to be "servicing"? 

Reserves is still armed forces.. i was in there.. and i dont appreciate you laughing about it.

Ryan_T said:
Reserves is still armed forces.. i was in there.. and i dont appreciate you laughing about it.

Relax.  I think GW meant that it's "serving", not "servicing" the country.

George Wallace said:
The PRes are completely "VOLUNTARY".  The only punishment for not showing up for "Parades" and training is that the person after a period of four weeks will be put on the NES list and the Release process will begin.  If the person's parents keep them at home, causing them to miss training, then they fall under those conditions, personal or not. 

The way this discussion is going is all speculation.  No one, except the OP, knows what circumstances the OP is finding themself in.  If it continues for too long, the OP will have likely moved out, got married, and raise kids who they can then sign authorization to join the PRes.

Don't confuse the fact that reserves are voluntary, meaning there are no set terms of service where duration is concerned and a reservist may "quit" any time he/she wants unless called out under the NDA (i.e. war), and parental consent to enrol. As FJAG indicated (above now that the thread has been merged), consent to enrolment is a one time thing as far as the military is concerned. There is no "continuing" consent requirement. In the present can the poster asked specifically about withdrawal of parental consent after enrolment. There is no such animal. However, how parents and child interact at home and as a result, the issue of wether or not the "child" should voluntarily ask for termination of service is up to them to work out privately. One thing is sure, however: the parents cannot just show up at a reserve units and ask for their child to be "voluntary" released from the military. Only the CAF member himself/herself can do that.

My typo. Stupid auto correct.

George Wallace said:
:rofl:

Did you really intend that to be "servicing"?

Autocorrect gone wrong, or in this case, hilariously right.  ;D

Quirky said:
Autocorrect gone wrong, or in this case, hilariously right.  ;D
I cant figure out how to turn it off in my phone

Ok interesting thanks everyone.  I will try and ensure that nothing goes any further as to them stopping me from training.  They haven't tried anything yet other than saying they really don't want me in and trying to convince me to quit but I just wanted to know if they could actually make a call and get me out. Which I now know they can't, everything else has to be worked out st home,  so thanks everyone. Just one last question.  It was mentioned about emancipation if I did theoretically do that and win. Once I am17 could I join ref force? Because if it's 17 with parent permission and you no longer need parent permission can you just join? Thanks again

tyorke0 said:
Ok interesting thanks everyone.  I will try and ensure that nothing goes any further as to them stopping me from training.  They haven't tried anything yet other than saying they really don't want me in and trying to convince me to quit but I just wanted to know if they could actually make a call and get me out. Which I now know they can't, everything else has to be worked out st home,  so thanks everyone.
When i left the reserves, it took months after my letter was handed in before they granted the release.

Ryan_T said:
When i left the reserves, it took months after my letter was handed in before they granted the release.

I am still in BMQ so the release is pretty quick. Someone in my BMQ now applied 2 weeks or a week ago not sure specifcally and he is already done next week.  I think it's just cause we're still in BMQ. But who knows

tyorke0 said:
I am still in BMQ so the release is pretty quick. Someone in my BMQ now applied 2 weeks or a week ago not sure specifcally and he is already done next week.  I think it's just cause we're still in BMQ. But who knows
I guess its a little different for res force BMQ. Reg force is longer than that to get released.

Ryan_T said:
I guess its a little different for res force BMQ. Reg force is longer than that to get released.

Oh I see.  It probably helps that for us there's so much time in between training (Mon to fri) that they can get paper work through faster not sure tho.

tyorke0 said:
Oh I see.  It probably helps that for us there's so much time in between training (Mon to fri) that they can get paper work through faster not sure tho.
Maybe.. are you enjoying basic?

tyorke0 said:
Once I am17 could I join ref force? Because if it's 17 with parent permission and you no longer need parent permission can you just join?

Who can apply:

To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
2.Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
•Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
•Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.

3.Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
•Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.

tyorke0 said:

tyorke0 said:
It probably helps that for us there's so much time in between training (Mon to fri) that they can get paper work through faster not sure tho.

VR processing will vary between PRes and Regular Force.

George Wallace said:
The PRes are completely "VOLUNTARY".  The only punishment for not showing up for "Parades" and training is that the person after a period of four weeks will be put on the NES list and the Release process will begin. 

VR during BMQ/Indoc?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/112121.0
5 pages,

See also,

VR during BMQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+vr+bmq&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xAXGWOzsKqWC8Qft85noBA&gws_rd=ssl

If you plan to VR from the PRes and re-apply for the Regular Force?  You may wish to read the 37-page "Getting Back in" mega-thread.

tyorke0 said:
Ok interesting thanks everyone.  I will try and ensure that nothing goes any further as to them stopping me from training.  They haven't tried anything yet other than saying they really don't want me in and trying to convince me to quit but I just wanted to know if they could actually make a call and get me out. Which I now know they can't, everything else has to be worked out st home,  so thanks everyone. Just one last question.  It was mentioned about emancipation if I did theoretically do that and win. Once I am17 could I join ref force? Because if it's 17 with parent permission and you no longer need parent permission can you just join? Thanks again

According to you, you have already enrolled in the Canadian Forces.  It does not matter whether it is regular, reserve or special force, you're already in.  If someone in the reserves wishes to go regular, they do not "join again".  They do a component transfer.

Now, as a purely hypothetical exercise (and I would welcome learned comment from one of the ambulance chasers that frequent the site), if someone under the age of 18 wished to join the CF, the applicable federal law would apply.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-5/page-4.html#h-16
When consent of parent or guardian required

(3) A person under the age of eighteen years shall not be enrolled without the consent of one of the parents or of the guardian of that person

The exact wording of that section of the National Defence Act apparently makes no accommodation for emancipated minors, nor does it refer to differing ages of majority in the individual provinces.

Back