• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camel Spiders

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
You may not want to look at this if you have arachnophobia :D
http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Operations/Camel_spiders.jpg

This is in Iraq, but we had these buggers in Afghanistan too.

Hah, those things are nasty!

I love hearing the stories about those things from some of the people I know who where in Afghanistan...

I had one of those for years before i figured out it wasn‘t a small cat...

Camel Spiders? Just kittens compaired compaired to the Australian Bird Eating Spider, or the Sydney Funnel Web Spider, of which I have both encountered.

Not long after i migrated here, I was humping a M60 GPMG thru the bush as we were in Coy formation advancing by Platoon.

It was dark, and full moon, and a head of us was the point man on the lead section of the lead platoon. He let ourt a gut curdeling scream, and we all went to ground. After some brief confusion the Medics ran up to him, and when they carried him off, he was babbling on and on, and quite freaked out, as a big hairy spider, the size of your hand, and apparently whitle in colour had bit him directly on the end of his nose, as the spider had a web right in the path he was on. He was in heaps of pain, but the species was not lethal.The web was made in such a twisted way, a small branch off a tree would hang in it.

On later exercises, when point man, I would fix a M9 bayonet to my F88 to avoid such things, and yes I cut thru many webs like this deep in the Aussie ‘J‘and in the southern bush too.

Do a search for "sydney funnel web spider" and you‘ll see what I mean.

A quick snake story too, on another ex, a a section rested, and the Digger took off his webbing. Upon saddling up, he put his webbing back on, not realising that a snake had crawled into the harness assy.

He was bitten several times in the lower back, and was choppered out to the nearest hospital. After many anti-venine shots, he survived, and was lucky to get to medical aid as fast as he did.

Cheers,

Wes

He he he... spiders are always a fascinating subject. While in South America, I came across a few mygales (not sure of the English word). They are the largest spiders in the world, and live in underground tunnels. The mygale can reach 20cm in length, is big and hairy. Another interesting model I came across was the banana spider, spotted in the Indonesian jungle. The banana spider is large, but skinny and nearly hairless...
The bites of both types are very painful, but not fatal to humans.

Funnel web spider *shudder* Those things are big, hairy, ugly and mean. Disgusting! Apparently the female is larger than the male but the male is 6 times more toxic than the female. A lethal tandem I‘d say.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/services/ibd/a/models/ani_1.htm

CANT SLEEP CAMEL SPIDER WILL BITE MY FACE OFF

i didnt look at the pic, but thats pretty much the reaction I had when I saw 3-4 seconds(then closed the window) of a camel spider movie

spiders creep me out to much..

oh my god. I hate spiders. In Afghanistan i‘d be more worried about that than bullets!

I guess they found the weapons of mass destruction, lol.

Is that one spider we see, or two?
Either way, there‘s too many. I‘m gonna have nite mares...

I haven‘t seen any of these things yet, and I‘ve been in the sandbox for almost 3 months now. Frankly, I‘m a little dissapointed. I officially became a member of the camp‘s highly elite anti snake/other assorted vermin response unit the other day though, so maybe I‘ll have to take one out one day soon. I already have a tremendously long and heavy shovel picked out as my weapon of choice! I‘ll keep you guys posted with regards to any critter smashing that occurs.

That looks like 2 spiders are they fighting or just biting each other for fun?

8 a year? I heard about 8 in your life time. But if you think about, sleeping out in the field would probably add a few more to that total.

I heard on average we eat 8 spiders a year while we sleep. They‘re attracted to our warm moist breaths and end up getting swallowed when they crawl in our mouths. :eek:

Whether this is true or not remains to be proven but I can think of stranger statistics.

NOT TRUE
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

When 1 CER came back from the gulf in 90/91 the boys had some good tales of the wee beasties.

All spiders are venomous its just that some are more so than others.

Indeed it appears to be false. I stand corrected. But you never know...

Hey GFU! Ya the Sydney Funnel Web ‘Atrax robustus‘ It can kill ya in a matter of 15 mins if not properly treated.

They inhabit Sydney and I have encountered only two in 9.5 yrs! But that two too many, and that was in the yard, not on the job!
They love shoes, and laundry baskets, plus water like dogs bowls, and even pools, they can live for over 30hrs underwater.

These beasts rear up like an advertisment for the Calgary Stampede, with poison dripping off their fangs which can penetrate a finger nail!

Do a search for all who are who are non-believers!

Cheers,

Wes

Wes ,
We get that Aussie show with the REAL Croc hunter, not that other nob,the older bloke who shows you bush tucker,and all the wee beasties down under.
He has one episode just on the spider‘s your way and I never knew there was that many poisness spiders in Oz.

Fact, when in the bush and you wanna sit or lay, whats underneath is the following:

1. its wet
2. it bites
3. it stings

We had this guy in the platoon once, we were entrenched at a place called Puckapunyal, anyways this bloke was bitten by so many meat ants that his ball bag went numb, and he could not stand. 3 days in the RAP. We took off his boots and there was hundreds of dead ants in his socks etc, and 100s more live!

Welcome to Australia!

Another one. A soldier was at a place called Wattamolla south of Sydney. He did a river Xing, and what he thought was a twig floating by was indeed a Tiger snake, which decided to bite him a few times on the arm. Another chopper called in, and he was rooted for a while (months), as he had his hair fall out, plus numerous nervous system problems too.

Wierd eh, and then there is crocs in the top end too, how seem to have a taste for tourists, aminly Europeans and Americans.

It can be one wierd place to live. My sister calls it Jurrasic Park, I call it national geographic in 3D.

Cheers,

Wes

Back