• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Pilots: Flying for Recreation

Thanks for the great info, bigzoomie. I'm in a very similar situation, except had CPL(A) with Multi-IFR prior to military (many moons ago, with heavy dust on the licence). Like Watchdog, also just finished Phase II and got selected Helo (1st choice!) and looking very much forward to soon being qualified to fly anything that flies.  Ability to write civvy ATPL(H) after a couple tours sounds great, but would also really like to keep current on the fixed wing side, possibly re-do Multi-IFR certification (once the 2nd bar and its pay raise comes along?).

Last civvy flight was just over 2 yrs ago (just prior to the dreaded CAPSS ride at Aircrew Selection), hope TC will recognize my recent fixed-wing time for 'currency' requirements.  (that last flight in Apr'13 was my first in over 10 yrs! Bit of a task to get Legal again, even to PPL standards!) I, too, would really like to get in on a small private plane just for fun, currency, and freedom aspects once posted somewhere for real.

Far as I can tell so far, CF does not frown upon Rec flying at all. Base Jumping, Extreme Skiing, etc and other 'high-risk activities' are strongly discouraged. Costs so much to train us, don't want us getting injured or disabled in dumb ways.
...But there's always SISIP.  "We cover YOU!"

Back