• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C8A4 at CANSEC 24

It’s neat, but I won’t be excited until I see new laser aiming modules. I’d rather see us using C8A3s with peq15s than A4s with pac-4s.

Interestingly the CA has procured enough new Argus NVDs to outfit some of the GRTF but I have not seen anything regarding aiming lasers so they will have new Argus NVDs with old PEQ 2 and PAQ 4s.

Ambidextrous safety... finally
Meh, Gene Stoner was a lefty, and considered the design ambidextrous.

Admittedly my old boss ( LtCol Dave Lutz USMC ret. ) when he was the M16A2 Project Officer had ambi controls on it (he was also a lefty) But that was page 2 of the upgrade sheet and the CG only accepted 1 page (I shit you not) so the M16A2 has ambi markings but not ambi controls.

I blame Dave for the A2 pistol grip bump as when he was in Vietnam he would be nervous at times on patrol and ambush and liked running his hand on the pistol grip - so he made the bump to give an index point.

IMG_1062.jpeg
I’m curious about the ambi bolt catch shown there - I haven’t seen it on other Colt guns. But it appears when the dust cover is opened, it may block access.

A rip off PVS-14/18 monocular- sad.

In the days of fused T/WP SWIR setups, Canada opts for a 20+ year old design.

Well done.

Agreed, I suspect it is a case of it being considered a safe choice that matches the original PVS 14s from the early 2000s that are being used.

Interestingly enough these Theon Argus NVDs are made in Saint Jean Sur Richelieu by CADEX and are a second generation from that Canadian facility, the first 300 bought in 2018 being relegated to use by the reserves.

Agreed, I suspect it is a case of it being considered a safe choice that matches the original PVS 14s from the early 2000s that are being used.

Interestingly enough these Theon Argus NVDs are made in Saint Jean Sur Richelieu by CADEX and are a second generation from that Canadian facility, the first 300 bought in 2018 being relegated to use by the reserves.
I suspect it’s in no small part to being able to be described as an upgrade vs new procurement

I suspect it’s in no small part to being able to be described as an upgrade vs new procurement

Man, all these TBS workarounds are so lame. I dont blame the procurement guys exploiting whatever little footholds they have but it's just the death by a thousand cuts for the CAF generally and the Army specifically.

Never been a fan of the ambi mag release. For a righty, occasionally the mag release would get bumped and dislodge slightly or outright dump the magazine. How hard is it to just have right and left versions?

Last edited:
Never been a fan of the ambi mag release. For a righty, occasionally the mag release would get bumped and dislodge slightly or outright dump the magazine. How hard is it to just have right and left versions?
There are good ambi controls and bad ones.

The CAF opted for a modified version of the Norton Ambi-Catch - as opposed to designing it into the receiver and giving it a shroud.

Occasionally = often. Even when you're watching out for it.

Back