• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7 replacement

The guy with the most gucci on his weapon on my tour was a Lisason Officer who never left the wire... the only thing left from the C8 was the reciever and barrel I think.

He couldn't figure out how to zero sight after 7 mags, funnily enough.

Brihard said:
Thanks for the fantastic post, MedCorps. Mind if I ask where you're getting this from? Purely to satisfy my curiosity.

It was given in a briefing (early Dec) from the Director of Land Requirements 5 (Army Soldier Systems), a LCol T. and his two Maj staff officers.

MC

I think this was the sight in the PPT.  Pretty neat looking.  Again it was provided as an example only, but I am not sure how many duel close quarter / magnification sights are on the market off the shelf...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQdz-1NrB4

MC

I think Canada's problem is that every battle will be in a different place with different needs.

For us clerks I vote for a Kriss!  http://world.guns.ru/smg/usa/kriss-super-v-e.html

Oops this isn't the FPS I play with my son?  ;D

CountDC said:
For us clerks I vote for a Kriss!  http://world.guns.ru/smg/usa/kriss-super-v-e.html

Oops this isn't the FPS I play with my son?  ;D

Nah - something more like this.

Hello-Kitty-AK-47.jpg

Considering how long we kept the Snider in Service, our guys will be carrying the C7/8 while other armies are getting Plasma rifles.

Owning my on AR has taught me to hate direct impingement type firearms.

But do HK 416/417 actions offer any real substantive improvements for the rifleman besides making cleaning easier? It might actualy be cheaper and more effective to reformulate the propellant than go to a new rifle/action (or change the conditions we will accept rifles in in terms of cleanliness).

There is little money and that is getting less :P

What we have works well and is proven, there is no need to replace it. It's relatively cheap, hits what it is shooting at and is easily repaired in austere conditions.

It can be tweaked for specific jobs, but is a good solid mechanical platform to base things on.

It's not going anywhere soon. Most designs that are being bandied about will likely be obsolete when we get around to any radical changes.

By all means, keep amused with the discussions of other weapons and wish lists, but don't expect to see anything in quantity come in for a very long time.

:2c:

Thucydides said:
But do HK 416/417 actions offer any real substantive improvements for the rifleman besides making cleaning easier? It might actualy be cheaper and more effective to reformulate the propellant than go to a new rifle/action (or change the conditions we will accept rifles in in terms of cleanliness).

We over lean things. FNC1 a case in point. Sand, scouring powder, oven cleaner among other abrasive and corrosive materials were used to clean the FN. We wore it out not by shooting it but by over  cleaning it.

Absurd things and methods still get used to clean C7s, among every other sort of weapon, and we're killing them the same way...

I found one of my troops hacking away his the muzzle crown on a C7 a while back with a screw driver... doesn't matter what the weapon system is if we don't teach people how to use it.

Jim Seggie said:
We over lean things. FNC1 a case in point. Sand, scouring powder, oven cleaner among other abrasive and corrosive materials were used to clean the FN. We wore it out not by shooting it but by over  cleaning it.

Are you saying 19Th century RSM's and 20Th century weapons tech does not mix?

ahhhh shiny crowns, never mind that they come new with a black ground, you will scrape and damage the most important part of the rifling !

I recall the literature of the AA12 combat shotgun bragging the weapon never needed cleaning and the action was lubricated by the carbon from firing.

While the claim seems somewhat dubious, if it were true you can imagine irate CQ's ranting at troops for wiping the carbon off the action....

R031button said:
ahhhh shiny crowns, never mind that they come new with a black ground, you will scrape and damage the most important part of the rifling !

Nope, gotta scrape them till they shine, usual practice is to scrape them out with the female end of a cleaning rod, but if you're real keen, get a hardened steel screwdriver, and really hack the dirt out. You can tell you've got all the carbon out when you start to come up with metal splinters...

Pro-tip, the lower receiver is an alloy, fairly easy to cut, a few minutes with a drill and some high speed steel drill bits, and you can make plenty of lightening cuts, no problem to drill out up to half a pound.  You don't really need the *entire* mag well....

>:D

I find the AK47 crude looking. How about something more modern. (And yes, it's real.)

Back