• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C6 and Infantry??

S

Sharpey

http://www.combatcamera.forces.ca/scripts/portweb.dll?query&field1=Filename&op1=matches&value1=APD02%205000-146.jpg&field2=Created&op2=equals&value2=3/20/02%201%3A54%3A52%20PM&cata log=combat&template=showDetail_e

Just a question, the C6 is used by Infantry? I always thought is was the "armoured" gun and that the C9 was used by Infantry? What do I know, them dang Armoured boys....

Sir,

Your link does not work.

I was suffering under the misaprehension that the ‘new‘ rifle platoon was to consist of pl HQ with 2 man 60mm mortar team, pl comd, pl WO, sig, runner; three rifle sections of two 4 man fireteams with a C9, and a MG section with two C6. So I persume by your comments this organisation never took off.

A question please, whilst in The FYR in 1997 I was informed that the C6 was to be used in the sustained fire role as per British Army tactics. Fitting it with the C2 sight, and the buffered tripod etc. Did this ever get off the ground?

Yours,
Jock in SYdney who has a very soft spot for the L7 or the MAG or the C6, whatever we all call it.

In the light infantry, a company has 4 C6‘s. 1 with each platoon, and 1 with the company HQ. All the C6‘s have a sustained fire kit with C2 sight (however, it is seldom used) In comparison, a platoon of mech infantry (AVGP Grizzly) has 5 C6‘s. 1 in the turret of each AVGP, without SF kit, for a total of 4(1,2,3 Section, and HQ), and 1 dismounted, with SF kit in the HQ AVGP. The mech infantry company would usually have 17-18 C6‘s, depending on the configuration of the company HQ. And each C6 usually has 3 barrels.

What Doug said! :)

Usually we only haul the C2 sight and the sustained fire kit out during defensives. Although I find that more often than not we usually take along the tripod to OP‘s and firebases as it provides more stability. Some people complain about the weight but personally I rather have that extra accuracy(oxymoron accuracy w/ a area weapon).

Doug, I thought that the -6 only had 2 barrels (both serialized) never knew that they come in 3‘s now.
:mg:

When I was in the reserves, all our C6‘s had only 2 barrels. In my battalion all our C6‘s have 3 barrels, #‘d 1-3(not like you‘d carry all 3). When we‘ve gone to Bosnia, all our AVGP‘s C6‘s had 3 barrels.

ALL C6‘s have 3 barrels, numbered 1-3. The #3 barrel is usually issued for sustained fire. Only 2 barrels are issued for the light role. :cdn:

Just finished the C6 Mg course last weekend. Shooting from the tripod is amazing. The distance, the arc of the rounds and seeing the shockwave around the round was crazy. Although I dont wanna be the number 2 lugging that tripod over my shoulders anytime soon.

SHARPEY- GPMG has ALWAYS been used/carried by the INF( CARRIED!) Come to my unit and be a # 2 on a gun!!! you must be Armoured!!! :tank:

:mg:
Strange they never told use about the third barrell when I did my wpns tarining at CFSME so, I learned something new. lol

:fifty:

Thanks for the offer JRMACDONALD, but I‘ll stick to my trusty rusty Iltis. When it breaks down, then I‘ll put on my boots! Sadly, thats about every 500 metres! :crybaby:

Originally posted by Sharpey:
[qb]I‘ll stick to my trusty rusty Iltis. When it breaks down, then I‘ll put on my boots! Sadly, thats about every 500 metres! :crybaby: [/qb]
Your filling me with so much confidence for the coming roto. 6 months in Bosnia in the winter in an Iltis...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

feedback from Afghanistan has shown that once more the L7 GPMG (the C6, the MAG) has proven to be an extremely effective weapon in British Army hands. With the tripod and the C2 sight it was very effective in the fighting in the various cave systems, both in the direct fire, demostrating the incrediable accuracy in such, as well in the indirect "beaten zone" role. With no reports of any malfunction - as always.

In regard to the three barrels with the weapon, this is the norm for the sustained fire role - 1 firing two replacing. Those armies that use the SF role (C2 sight and buffered tripod version) all use the same.

The British Army in the mid-1970‘s had the problem of overheating whilst in the SF role beaten. They had developed a fluted barrel which due to its metal construction was able to disperse heat at a quite incrediable rate. However due to the short sightedness of the British Labour Government, the problem was ceased just prior to the barrel becoming standard issue. The research team was dispersed, and the actual documentation re the project DESTROYED. Fortunately a small Canadian company at this time headhunted three of the engineers and scientists involved, their work was relevent in the developement of the barrel for the C7 and C8.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

would that be the same C7 that Enfield had to get replaced because the barrel drooped down from overheating?

Sir,

It is the same C7 that the USMC bought an initial 128 thousand barrels for their M16A2‘s, the same C7 and C8 that is in British Army use in Afghanistan.

I suggest that before you make such remarks you find out why the barrels had a fault, amazingly you will find out that the initial barrels were purchased not from the Canadian company. In some bizarre way the same Canadian company which has manufactured the C7/C8 for the British, also has for the Danish, the Netherlands and a number of other countries with absolutely not problems what so ever.

The 2,000 M4 for Australia two years ago came with Canadian manufactured barrels.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

I don‘t want to go into to much detail here as I will be heading into a different forum topic. With the new LUVW comming into play, my RECCE Regiment, to my understanding, will lose some of it‘s C6‘s. I love the weapon don‘t get me wrong, but wouldn‘t passing on 50 cal. to the Armoured/RECCE guys be more realistic? RECCE does not engage, but if we did, would the 50 cal. not be more effective than the C6 (providing the contact is more than Infantry.)

This is based on the Reserve level as our Ilti can‘t really pass for a Coyote with a 25mm!

I‘ve never seen a C7 damaged so much that it cannot be fired......well that‘s not totally true, last year a guy lost his C7 over DZ Anzio; dropped about 200 feet. We didn‘t find it till the next day and it was pretty much pooched. If you‘re firing that many rounds or blanks to overheat your barrel to the point of self destruction, then you‘re doing something wrong. I would say that it‘s grounds for being charged or at least being charged to replace the barrel. That‘s if it really happened....sounds like negligence causing damage to DND property and a safety hazard.

Sharpey,
That‘s a very nice avatar but... isn‘t it a bit big ??? :cdn:

Sharpey,
I am putting a much smaller copy of your Avatar in the Photo Gallery. I hope you can find it in your hart to use this one instead.

Cheers.

Back