• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BV206/210 for Peacekeeping/Light Infantry Brigade?

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Currently the CFs operate some 78 BV-206s.   These vehicles were purchased originally for use in the high-arctic and Norway.   During 3 PPCLIs deployment to Afghanistan, the BVs were suprisingly effective.

Having personally seen Norwegian BVs in service during Ex. Battle Griffin '05 I'm totally enamored with these little beasts.   Their mobility is amazing, both off and on road.   They're air transportable in C-130 and CH-47.   Supposedly they've got such a low footprint that they often avoid setting off AT mines.

I think that they'd be perfect for use as a baseline APC, Weapons Carrier, Ambulance, CP etc. for a rapid deployment Light Infantry Brigade or the 'PMs Peacekeeping Brigade'. 

Information on these vehicles can be found at:
http://www.haggve.se/default.asp
http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-vehbv206.htm
http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_25.asp?uSubSection=25&uSection=1

Any thoughts?

I remember how great the Brit BV was on training when a huge snowfall basically grounded the rest of the fleet.

I've proposed that (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27831.0.html), if Light Forces were required to "pony up", that the Armoured version (BV-S10), being adopted by the RM, would be a perfect vehicle.  It is on the link you have provided, Matt.

Actually under the old 1980's defence plan Canada was going to have Hagglunds build a Bv206 factory in Calgary and buy at least 400 of them.  Along with the Bison they were primarily intended to be used by the Militia in their northern and vital point duties.

And given that their foot print is less than that of a man walking, they not only don't detonate pressure triggered AT mines, they also don't detonate many AP mines.

Bv206/Bv206s/BvS10-Viking - lovely suite of kit for light troops in marginal terrain.  And the Bv206 is heliportable under two EH-101s and airportable in C130s and C27s.

Be brilliiant for domestic disaster relief as well.

Damn Scandanavians seem to be build all the gucci kit.... ;D

Having sat in a few Light Forces working groups recently, I know that the BV (or equaivalent) is still considered a necessary capability, particularly in complex/mountainous terrain for operations where you would otherwise be conducting dismounted operations.  I had a link to some US Army Chinook vids in Afghanistan, but that ironically showed some of our tan-painted BV's as the self-loading material...I'll post it when I find it again.

Cheers,
Duey

I remember seeing that Duey.  It showed a Bv206 without the lid backing into a CH-47.

Another argument for something like the CH-47/CH-53?

Mike Sparks and some others wrote a book on the concept of 'Air-Mech Strike'

Mike is known quite widely online for being very curt about his views and my branch of service (USMC) in particular, however he and his colleagues do have some interesting ideas around the BV-206.

For me, a person who's ideas are somewhat less imaginative, I simply envisage the BV as being the key to providing a light infantry based formation with some key ground mobility, at a far cheaper cost than LAV-IIIs or similar APCs.

Having used the BV quite a bit (including the CP variant) I am a great fan of it. We still have a few but the last time I saw them, they were mostly hangar queens due to parts shortages. I am all for equipping the light battalions with them and keeping some in op stock.

Cheers

bv206sideviewcheck.jpg

bv206rollingtoch47afghan.jpg

bv206backinafghan.jpg

bv206inch47afghan.jpg

bv206interiorviewch47d.jpg

bv206frontalafghan.jpg

bv206inmudinafghan.jpg

source: http://www.geocities.com/bv206s/

From http://www.geocities.com/air_mech_strike/

The war in Afghanistan has seen several combat firsts for the U.S. Military, first use of an armed un-manned aerial vehicle and the first use of the B-1B Bombers in a close air support role to name just a few. Now in Operation Anaconda another first for the U.S. Army, the first employment of helo-based airmechanized forces by a U.S. field commander in combat, complements of the 3rd Battalion of the famed Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group.

On March 15, 2002, the Canadians attached to the U.S. Army's 2nd Brigade 10th Mountain Division, used U.S. Army CH-47D Chinooks to air assault their armored tracked BV-206 airmechanized vehicles into the operation Anaconda fight.

Airmechanization is a relatively new maneuver warfare doctrine extensively developed by numerous European armies. First theorized in the 1930s by Soviet Field Marshall Tuchachevskiy, today the Russian, British and German armies have fielded airmechanized brigade and division sized units. The concept involves the vertical insertion of tracked combat vehicles via helicopter and fixed-wing para-drops. The idea is to use aircraft to break friction with the ground and cross vast treks of terrain and obstacles to quickly gain positional advantage. Once inserted, the mechanized vehicles provide the vertically-inserted force with tracked terrain mobility, protection against small-arms and shrapnel and significant increase in firepower via the heavier weapons carried on the vehicles vice foot mobile troops inserted by parachute or helicopter.

The technical challenge to airmechanization is how to build a tracked combat vehicle that has sufficient protection and weapon capacity yet light enough to transported by helicopter or parachute. Advances in information/reconnaissance technology, weapon lethality versus weight and the increases in aircraft lift performance have all contributed to the boom in airmechanization. Today five other countries beside Russia, Britain and Germany, are in the process of fielding airmechanized brigades, including China. The most expensive part of this concept is the fielding of large numbers of heavy lift helicopters and short field cargo airplanes. The vehicles themselves are relatively inexpensive. In the U.S. Military, the critical air component is already in place with over 600 heavy lift CH-47D Chinook and CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters and 500 plus C-130 Hercules aircraft in the inventory.

But what about the risk posed by ultra-light combat vehicles? Isn't massive armor needed to survive? Lightweight AirMechanized Vehicles (AMVs), like those employed by the Canadians in Anaconda, might seem on the surface to be extremely vulnerable. But surviving on the battlefields of Afghanistan may demonstrate a shift in this traditional paradigm. For example, the greatest risk to vehicle movement in Afghanistan is not Taliban/Al-Quedas Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs), but rather the millions of landmines laid throughout the country. The Canadian BV-206 AMV used in Anaconda mitigates this risk by virtue of the very light weight and tracked suspension that results in extremely light ground pressure. This not only contributes to its excellent terrain agility but makes anti-tank mine detonation a very small probability since the BV-206 ground pressure is far below the minimum necessary to set off a typical anti-tank mine. [Editor's note: the big advantage of an articulated tracked vehicle like the BV-206, is all-terrain mobility. The low ground pressure of an articulated tracked vehicle allows it to operate in very weak soil strength conditions and deep snow conditions. Also the powered articulation joint between the two units provides for superior obstacle crossing ability because of the joint locking feature for spanning ditches or gaps and the joint pitch motion travel which allows for the climbing of very high vertical obstacles, ie; slopes in Afghanistan].

Wheeled combat vehicles on the other hand, are extremely vulnerable to land mines due to the high ground pressure characteristic of typical wheeled vehicles. The separate cabs of the BV-206 also lessens the potential casualty effects of RPGs by compartmentalizing the blast areas. The light weight also means that it can approach the enemy from terrain deemed non-useable by heavier armor and thus lessens the chances of moving into a planned vehicular kill zone. These features combined with the lethality of high-tech weapons like the Javelin anti-tank guided missile (50 pounds and 2,500 meters range) and light weight auto cannons and grenade launchers like the M230 or ASP-30 30mm and the Mark-19 40mm make AMVs a deadly package for their size.

Airmechanization, a competitor for the Armys planned transformation based on the Striker wheeled armored vehicle? Intuitively all new ideas are intellectually competitive with older concepts and the same is true of the 3-Deminsional airmechanization idea versus the 2-Diminsional Striker program. But in practical application there is no conflict. As most professional Soldiers know, combat is a combined-arms affair where different weapons, platforms and the specialties of different organizations combine to have a collective greater effect than any one part. The Army's Striker transformation is slated for the light infantry divisions and some of the heavier formations. Airmechanization would be more applicable to the Army's Airborne and Air Assault units where the Striker is not scheduled for fielding. As the European armies who have fielded airmechanized formations will tell you. These agile forced-entry units are battlefield enablers to heavier forces and not necessarily their future replacement.

Like the use of the armed Predator UAV in Afghanistan, this first modest employment of airmechanized forces in Anaconda will undoubtedly generate heated debate on the utility of this new and controversial maneuver doctrine. This historical event may be the catalyst for the U.S. Army to convert its own airborne and air assault divisions along the European Airmechanized models or like the ill-fated Pentomic Divisions of the 1950s, be simply a flash-in-the-pan. Still the question that this event will pose for the U.S. Army as whole is the continued validity of parachuting or helo-insertion of dismounted troops close to the enemy's crucible of anti-aircraft fire, shoulder-fired missiles and RPGs. The American public and our enemies, should know that the U.S. Armys leadership in Afghanistan is not tied doggedly to any written doctrine. The first use of airmechanized forces in combat by an American commander demonstrates the mental agility and creative prowess of a unified effort that will leave "no stone unturned" in its effort to defeat the Al Queda and Taliban, to include employing a Canadian airmechanized force!

Major Chuck Jarnot, 101st Airborne Division Liaison Officer in Afghanistan

Interesting arcticle, the pictures didn't show up unfortunately...

Anyone know the unit cost for a BV206??

Looks like our traffic has overwhelmed Sparky's site.  Follow the link for one of the pictures and you get this:
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Works for me again too.  The site must have gotten better.

Just saw the BV206 on the TV show "Tactical to Practical". They were highlighting the development of over-snow veh like snowmobiles/ snow-cats, and were at the USMC arctic warfare school, where they had BV206's... looked like they were having fun!

Kirkhill said:
Actually under the old 1980's defence plan Canada was going to have Hagglunds build a Bv206 factory in Calgary and buy at least 400 of them.   Along with the Bison they were primarily intended to be used by the Militia in their northern and vital point duties.

And given that their foot print is less than that of a man walking, they not only don't detonate pressure triggered AT mines, they also don't detonate many AP mines.

Bv206/Bv206s/BvS10-Viking - lovely suite of kit for light troops in marginal terrain.   And the Bv206 is heliportable under two EH-101s and airportable in C130s and C27s.

Be brilliiant for domestic disaster relief as well.

With the renewed emphasis on the Militia as a dom-op force, I think this would be a great addition to local armouries... something like the Bv206 would give us outstanding mobility for far less cost than other APC/LAV's options out there... snowstorms, ice-storms, floods, forest-fires... even operating in urban disaster areas... at roughly the same cost per-person carried as a G-Wagon... not a bad idea

I am a big fan of the viking myself (the RM armoured BV210).

BritS, thanks...those were the pics I was looking for.  Good article from and Air Assaulter in Ft. Campbell...huah!

Cheers,
Duey

Honestly, save the BV fo winter time, it's awesome. In Afghanistan the boys didn't want it. In the snow, it's the best thing since snowshoes.

If you've got a spare $42K Cdn, you can buy a BV 206 on Stony Plain Road in Edmonton...

Kat

What about using the BV for the Reserve Inf Coy groupings going overseas with the Reg Force Task Forces ? I hear allot about the potential roles of the Reserve Inf types on the TFs (beyond mere gate guard duties), but no discussion of the vehicles to be used.

If the LAVs are predominately being used (rightly) by the Reg Force Inf, what type of vehicle for the R31 types? The Bisons are utilized for other tasks, and the use of the older Griz (now being sold off) or M113 stretch version would introduce another vehicle type to be maintained. Use of these vehicles by R031 types would involve substantial 'delta' training for Reservists to operate, or would involve detaching Reg drivers from their units (obviously not a favoured idea for many reasons). Use of the BV could be done without detaching Reg drivers from their units, and involve less training for Reservists than the LAV, Bison, Griz, or M113 stretch. The BV would also provide some good mobility for R031 types for PRT duties and aggressive patrolling, etc.

Any thoughts by others, or has anything else been discussed for vehicle types to be used by R031 types on the TFs? The lack of discussion or points on this is somewhat concerning. Cheers, and flame away!

Back