• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BUDGET ‘04

any one know more about the G-Wagen, the vehicle replacing the iltis?

Wow...What a F#cking surprise. What else is new.

Don‘t tell me you all actually EXPECTED more money for the CF did you?

Slim

Originally posted by cheeky_monkey:
[qb] any one know more about the G-Wagen, the vehicle replacing the iltis? [/qb]
Wrong Thread??? :confused:

I atleast expected some money. They say they don‘t want to do anything until the defense review is finished. That‘s fine, don‘t add a large amount, but are they really expecting to review the forces and find out they need less money?

Although there is no new money included this year, was there not an $800 million increase for this year included in the last budget;

I totally agree with you scm, what are they thinking, the forces are terribly over-funded, c‘mon get real, why not start now. Espically with the $500 million shortfall in the forces, you‘d think they cover that.......dam Liberals

Well, at least the military wasn‘t totally ignored. No paying income tax for soldiers over-seas isn‘t so bad... I guess...

Yeah, a true Liberal surprise. The CF is 500 million dollars short according to some reports of just meeting basic operational costs. We can all blame the Liberals when the mess hits the fan and the CF is in the sideline because we can‘t even transport the troops or equipment we committ because all our airlift capabilities are grounded, or because we don‘t even have the troops and equipment to committ to the defense of freedom and democracy.

I can‘t wait till the Conservatives form the next government.

Originally posted by Tyrnagog:
[qb] Well, at least the military wasn‘t totally ignored. No paying income tax for soldiers over-seas isn‘t so bad... I guess... [/qb]
I believe you are referring to hazard pay. That‘s always been tax-free to the best of my knowledge. On the other hand, regular salaries are still taxed like every other Canadian as far as I know.

Maybe... I just got this off of the CBC.. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/budget2004/issue7.html

Goodale also announced that Canadian soldiers will no longer pay income tax for those periods when they are serving on missions overseas.
Is this new.. it would seem to think so, but I can‘t say for sure...

[qb] Maybe... I just got this off of the CBC.. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/budget2004/issue7.html

Goodale also announced that Canadian soldiers will no longer pay income tax for those periods when they are serving on missions overseas.
Is this new.. it would seem to think so, but I can‘t say for sure... [/qb]
Yeah, my bad. I just heard about that right now, I‘m watching the speech on CBC. In fact, I was wrong, soldiers will not pay income tax when on overseas missions.

Also, $300 million was announced for the Afghanistan mission and $50 million for the Haiti mission. And $300 million for new equipment and the speeding up of the deliverly of the Seaking replacement.

Whenever "more money" is announced for DND, my first instinct is to find out whether it is new money or just there to pay costs already committed.

What was actually said:

Goodale also announced that Canadian soldiers will no longer pay income tax for those periods when they are serving on "high risk operational missions" overseas.

Now we‘ll have to wait and see what CCRA‘s definition of "high risk operational missions" is.

I‘m not even going to speculate at this point. Needless to say it won‘t be retroactive for the one I just got back from :mad:

Not having to pay income tax while on overseas deployment will sure boost morale. Gosh golly, they‘ll sure be upbeat while on deployment now, they have to drive around in 20 year old Iltis‘ with no armour, but rest assured troops, you don‘t have to pay income taxes! And rest equally assured, the Prime Minister has the top of the line Challenger jet to shuttle him across the country and around the world while you brave men and women have to use aeroplanes like the Hercules that were brought into service 40 years ago and are grounded more than they are in the air because of God knows what. And don‘t forget the Sea things either. I guess with this Liberal government you should just be happy to actually have a naval helicopter capability. While in the middle of nowhere just remember you are so important to the goverment, so important they give you absolutely no increases aside from what has been committed already, yet foreign aid was boosted by $280 million.

I detect a little bit of bitterness, Paul F... :D

I agree... getting table scraps when they are feasting is just wrong.

There was a 5.5 billion dollar surplus which was larger then expected, due to increased profits due to "larger-than-expected revenues from corporate income taxes."

If it‘s that big next year the DND should get a significant boost after the white paper review. SHOULD being the key word. :rolleyes:

[qb] I detect a little bit of bitterness, Paul F... :D

I agree... getting table scraps when they are feasting is just wrong. [/qb]
We‘ll, wouldn‘t you be bitter too, if you knew your loved ones had to serve their country using equipment that is outdated, while the government twiddles it‘s thumbs, piddling $100 million down the drain on the sponsorship scandal, and millions more all over the place. The government seems quite willing to take all the credit for the accomplishments of the troops, yet wants no part is fiscally supporting them.

$100 million on the sponsorship scandal?

How about the $1.5 BILLION spent to register law abiding gun owners!

Or the "lost" $1 billion that HRDC managed. That is harsh.

I believe that one of the reasons for the government‘s neglect and exploitation of the CF is this: If the CF had a larger budget and our troops had the equipment and support that they need, the general public would become resentful of this. It is human nature (especially North American nature) to resent those that are not suffering some how. Even now, with the CF in such dire budgetary need, we still hear complaints about DND wasting this money here, and that money there. The complaints would be far louder and more frequent if the CF‘s budget were increased any significant amount.

Edit for clarification on the suffering statement. By suffering, I basically mean not having anything in advantage over others. For example, a few years ago my wife and I both worked full-time jobs with decent incomes, in the same company. We experienced no end of resentfulness from our co-workers who believed we should get paid half as much since we were both working.

Remember all this when they call the next election. Remind everyone who will listen.

I think soldiers should be wary of this new tax break, it seems like the Liberal‘s are just trying to buy a bit of support from the individual soldier while neglecting to address current and long term concerns. The idea of waiting for a defence review before approving any more defense projects may sound responsible, but in my mind is unnecessary. You don‘t need a review to tell you the iltis and sea kings need replacing, or that the herc fleet is barely capable of providing a menial transport capability for domestic ops let alone overseas. Having spent the weekend down in Ft Lewis for Cougar Salvo, one thing I came away with was a newfound respect for the US military‘s lift capability. Our coy hide was right in line with a runway and every 15-20 minutes another C-17 was landing or taking off.

Back