• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brexit Vote: 51.9% leave, 48.1% stay

The global shockwaves of the Brexit continue to be felt:

Yahoo Finance

A single word explains why financial markets everywhere are nosediving
On Thursday, Britain voted to exit the European Union. Global markets are falling sharply. But the Brexit alone doesn't justify the magnitude of the sell-off.

By Sam Ro | Yahoo Finance – 3 hours ago

British voters stunned the world as they voted to leave the European Union.

The results were followed by the worst crash in the British pound against the US dollar ever. At one point, the pound had fallen to a 30-year low of around $1.32. Meanwhile, stocks markets around the world are plummeting, with the UK's FTSE 100 down 4.5%, Germany's Dax down 7.1%, and Japan's Nikkei down 7.9%. Dow futures are down 540 points, or 3% from Thursday's levels. Investors and traders everywhere are losing money today.

And so begins what could be a two-year long, very complicated process of renogitiating trade deals and other policies as the UK aims to decouple from the EU.

(...SNIPPED)

cavalryman said:
I'm getting a lot of entertainment in watching my left leaning friends and acquaintances self-destruct on Facebook.  Brexit seems to be the biggest disaster to befall humanity since... since...  [:p  More entertaining even is the lack of self-awareness in the way they're characterizing those who voted 'leave.'  Sadly, in the interests of maintaining peace, I've so far resisted pointing this out.  Must stay away from Facebook  :-\

When in doubt, quote the first leader of a united Europe:

"If the populace knew with what idiocy they were ruled, they would revolt."

Charlemagne

If Scotland left the UK to stay with the EU, that would be a marriage the EU would long regret, a Greece without the food or the weather.

Colin P said:
If Scotland left the UK to stay with the EU, that would be a marriage the EU would long regret, a Greece without the food or the weather.
But with scotch ...

milnews.ca said:
But with scotch ...
Which will all vanish in domestic consumption once the Scots realize they were better off in the UK - which by then will have realized that it's better off without Scotland's drag on the public purse  ;D

Colin P said:

Who gets custody of the North Sea oil?  :dunno:

:cheers:

FJAG said:

Good point. Will Norway buy out the Scots? LOL. Maybe they will pump it dry in the next 2 years.

Cloud Cover said:
Good point. Will Norway buy out the Scots? LOL. Maybe they will pump it dry in the next 2 years.

Without the South paying the Scot welfare bill, they will have to pump it out. 

FJAG said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/shetland-may-reconsider-place-scotland-yes-vote-alistair-carmichael

All good Vikings together.  Up Helly Aa! and such like.

UpHellyAa2%28AnneBurgess%2930Jan1973.jpg

Greenland, Iceland, Faeroes, Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebrides, Man, Norway, Denmark.....Might even include the lands north of the Wash and Anglia if they promise to behave.  >:D

Oops.  Forgot one.  The Fries.

Tangent, but I was asked why PM David Cameron had to (?) step down after the Brexit vote was finalized.  I didn't think it was also a non-confidence vote?  Or did he just feel it was a good time to cut his losses and go?

The results were followed by the worst crash in the British pound against the US dollar ever.

Worst?  -9.5% stabilized for the day...even if it sits there for some time to come, there have been bigger swings for less important things...like Day #2 for Lululemon...  puh-lease... ::)

The UK will be fine.  It's not like the country every started using the Euro... 

EU has bigger issues...like wasting 1/5 of a Billion Euros per year... ::)

Dimsum said:
Tangent, but I was asked why PM David Cameron had to (?) step down after the Brexit vote was finalized.  I didn't think it was also a non-confidence vote?  Or did he just feel it was a good time to cut his losses and go?

He didn't have to go. And I don't think it was a case of cutting his losses - that suggests an unemotional calculation.  I believe he just couldn't face the thought of getting up in the morning to continue doing the same job under the changed circumstances.

Chris Pook said:
He didn't have to go. And I don't think it was a case of cutting his losses - that suggests an unemotional calculation.  I believe he just couldn't face the thought of getting up in the morning to continue doing the same job under the changed circumstances.

I would add perhaps an old fashioned sense of honour. Appearing to have lost the support of the people, it seems reasonable that he would fall on his sword.

One final comment from me on the day.

I have been seeing an awful lot of this: "What happens next?" 

The short answer is exactly the same as it was the day before the referendum and the same as it would be had the Brits voted to stay.

No one knows.

Cameron had really no choice. The party was split, with a sizable caucus on the right pulling for the Leave side. Although, according to a Conservative MP who was interviewed on BBC News hour this morning, the Leave supporters in the caucus did give him a letter after the results were final asking that he not resign, and they felt that he would be the best person to lead the negotiations.

The rumours running around are that Boris Johnson is the favorite to replace Cameron.

And also heard that they won't initiate Article 50 proceedings for a few months.

Canada seems to be the country of choice for anyone who wants to flee their own country when things go to hell politically.

Brexit fallout: ‘How to move to Canada’ trends in U.K. after European Union vote

http://globalnews.ca/news/2784868/brexit-how-to-move-to-canada-trends-in-u-k-after-european-union-vote/

It seems many Britons are looking at making the big move across the pond after the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union.

On Friday, after the U.K. voted 52 per cent in favour of bouncing from the European Union, many internet users began to search on Google “How to move to Canada.”

According to Google Trends, the term was searched most frequently in Wales, followed by England and Scotland. “How to move to Canada from UK,” “move to Canada from UK,” and “Can I move to Canada?” were also popular search terms.

Following the referendum, many took to social media to say they were packing up and moving across the pond.

According to Google Trends, once the Brexit results were officially announced, “What is the EU?” was the second-most searched question in the U.K., while “What does it mean to leave the EU?” was the most searched.

It’s seems Canada is a popular destination for foreigners upset with the political situation in their homelands.

Earlier this year, Americans were threatening to move to Canada if Donald Trump becomes president. The same threat was made in November over the States’ plan to allow Syrian refugees in the country.

And in the summer of 2015, social media lit up with the same threat after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states. Canada had legalized same sex marriage in 2005.

The Canada Party is trolling the UK and the US. They tweeted:

Dear UK: We will swap you Scotland for the U.S. Straight-up trade, no givesies backsies. ‪#‎Brexit‬

Sorry. Canada doesn't accept white, english speaking people anymore. Unless you happen to have a Syrian passport and you're Muslim.

recceguy said:
Sorry. Canada doesn't accept white, english speaking people anymore. Unless you happen to have a Syrian passport and you're Muslim.
Absolutely incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back