• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boycott Cambridge U - they've banned the kilt!

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
The topic of appropriate dress regulations for students has been in the headlines lately, both in Canada and abroad.  Here's one I'd never have imagined before ... a university banning students from wearing military uniforms, and worse ... the kilt!
(well, as you can imagine, I've placed Cambridge on my banned list - I'll never consider studying there ... [/sarcasm off] ... chuckle)

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/03/26/972983-ap.html

Cambridge University causes row by banning kilts

LONDON (AP) - For centuries, Scotsmen have worn the pleated checkered garment into battle, on parade and at special events.

But now Cambridge University has banned Scottish students from wearing kilts at graduation ceremonies - sparking a row with traditionalists.

The university says it is banning national dress to underline that all students are equal.

But Scottish politicians are outraged.

"Instead of clamping down, they should be more flexible," fumed Jim Wallace, deputy first minister of the Scottish Executive in an interview published Saturday in The Scotsman newspaper.

"You must be able to combine the best of the traditional such as gowns and hoods with something that allows you, if you want to, to wear your national dress.

"As long as it is still dignified, then this should be allowed."

Kenny MacAskill, justice and home affairs spokesman of the nationalist Scottish National Party, labeled the ban "petty and very narrow-minded."

A university spokesman said graduation regulations had always stipulated traditional dress - trousers and ties for men, dresses or suits for women. But until now the rules had not really been enforced.

However, more and more people were now wearing kilts and army uniforms and the university had decided it was time to act.

"The Praelectors (graduation officials) found that just recently the breaches of their regulations had been more prolific and more extreme," he said.

"The underlying reason for the graduation ceremony is that you become a member of Cambridge University.

"Whether you are a Scottish member, a New Zealand member or an army one, you are all members of Cambridge University."

Several other British universities have already banned national dress. The spokesman said religious dress is not affected by the decision.

If "the underlying reason for the graduation ceremony is that you become a member of Cambridge University", I don't see how they can ban some dress like DEU and Kilts but other "religious" dress to be allowed, seems to be abit of a double standard.   But that's nothing new for Canada I   guess.   I could see them being upset if people showed up in jeans and a t-shirt, but traditional  Scottish should be allowed IMHO.   If they were to make everyone wear the samething, I wouldn't see a problem but it seems they're going after a specific group of people.

EDIT: thought they were talking about the Canadian city,had a rough night. My mistake.....

Quote,
But that's nothing new for Canada I  guess.

...you may want to try Cambridge University on Google.

Beat me to it...  I won't get rid of my Cambridge U soccer jersey though...  :)

T

Torlyn said:
...   I won't get rid of my Cambridge U soccer jersey though ...  

Grrrr ... a pox upon you and your house, then!  :evil:
We'll force feed you haggis and oatmeal until you see the error of your ways ...

bossi said:
Grrrr ... a pox upon you and your house, then!  :evil:
We'll force feed you haggis and oatmeal until you see the error of your ways ...

Never said I wouldn't wear my kilt with the jersey...  >:D  Never have been one to conform.  All hail the SKLF!!  (Scottish Kilt Liberation Front)  Well, the pipes, the pipes are calling.  Might support the soccer team, but they'll never remove my kilt.  Unless I've been drinking...  ;)

T

???

Thats very strange for them to do that. BRITS, setting standards about clothing style?

Anyone thats been to Wainwright in the summer knows what I'm talking about.

Has Cambridge also banned brand knockoff, garishly coloured, Adidas tracksuits, and cheap gold jewelry ?

Rfn said:
Has Cambridge also banned brand knockoff, garishly coloured, Adidas tracksuits, and cheap gold jewelry ?

No, I think Ali G is still allowed on campus...

T

Yep I hope so, as opposed to the tight regimental PT shirts, straight leg jeans, and cowboy boots.

tess

So let me get this right, Turbans = Ok,  Yarmulkes = Ok, Kilt =  :evil: Go display your religion freely, go display your sexuality freely, but by God you will not show anyone that you're military?

Back