• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

boots

Marty

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there in Army land can tell me what I should be looking for in a pair of boots . Im starting to do the Ruck March on my own time thing as suggested , and want to use a pair of boots that are at least close to what the CF will issue me . Better still can I buy a new pair of issue boots someplace?

Thanks

Surplus stores often have used pairs of the issue boots.

SEB123 said:
Try mattherhorn or danner boots, they are the best

Yup, the best for standing around in the rain.

If you want to march, a Mk III either with a good insole or with a Vibram sole will serve you well.   The new Cold Wet Weather Boot with the sock system is the best army boot I have ever used.   I've used it on very real operations and loved it.

I own most of the other competitors.   Don't spend your money on Danners or Matterhorns anymore, the new(CWWB) boots are far superior.

I guess boots vary from soldier to soldier.

Personally, I never liked how the issue WWB fit my feet; I've had a set of Lewis Danners that have carried me pretty far without any problems.  Got a nice pair of jungles as well.

Infanteer said:
I guess boots vary from soldier to soldier.

Personally, I never liked how the issue WWB fit my feet; I've had a set of Lewis Danners that have carried me pretty far without any problems.   Got a nice pair of jungles as well.

Given that there are about 10,000 sizes of WWB (OK I might be exaggerating a bit!) get them resized.

Fact of the matter in my opinion there is no more stable boot than the WWB due to the wide sole.   I have at times disallowed troops under my command to wear anything other than CWWB or Mk III due to stability issues on operations.

devil39 said:
Given that there are about 10,000 sizes of WWB (OK I might be exaggerating a bit!) get them resized.

Fact of the matter in my opinion there is no more stable boot than the WWB due to the wide sole.   I have at times disallowed troops under my command to wear anything other than CWWB or Mk III due to stability issues on operations.

Not that I want to ge into a pissing contest here but that is a pretty harsh stand to take on an issue like this.  Considering everyone has different needs and no troops feet are the same I would have to disagree.  How many of those 10 000 sizes are actually available?  I know in my experience I went through the whole computer scan, two sock trial, sizing debacle and was issued a pair of CWWBoots that where too wide.  I wasn't permitted to size myself at the initial issue (sausage machine) and knew categorically that once wet and stretched they would never do.  Even after the requisite wait and subsequent issue of a narrower pair they still didn't fit like I would have expected.  Then there is the whole traction on icey terrain issue.  Anyway, having said all that, there are some of my peers that swear by them. 

Personally, I liked the MkIII resoled with Vibram.  I also use Jungle boots with Vibram resole and had Bertrand's reinforce the canvas strip at the back with sewn on leather because they always seem to let go there.  I use Hi Techs in garrison because my feet sweat a lot.  I use Danner Acadias in cold/wet weather environments.  I use Hanwag Special Forces GTX with Gators in rugged terrain because they are Black, Goretex, have a full rand, and the 3/4 shank can't be beat for carrying heavy loads on uneven terrain.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes one's personal preference and the argument of uniformity has to take a backseat to what is effective for the lowest common denominator of mobility assets  -  The 'Black Cadillacs'.

excoelis said:
Not that I want to ge into a pissing contest here but that is a pretty harsh stand to take on an issue like this.   Considering everyone has different needs and no troops feet are the same I would have to disagree.   How many of those 10 000 sizes are actually available?   I know in my experience I went through the whole computer scan, two sock trial, sizing debacle and was issued a pair of CWWBoots that where too wide.   I wasn't permitted to size myself at the initial issue (sausage machine) and knew categorically that once wet and stretched they would never do.   Even after the requisite wait and subsequent issue of a narrower pair they still didn't fit like I would have expected.   Then there is the whole traction on icey terrain issue.   Anyway, having said all that, there are some of my peers that swear by them.  

Personally, I liked the MkIII resoled with Vibram.   I also use Jungle boots with Vibram resole and had Bertrand's reinforce the canvas strip at the back with sewn on leather because they always seem to let go there.   I use Hi Techs in garrison because my feet sweat a lot.   I use Danner Acadias in cold/wet weather environments.   I use Hanwag Special Forces GTX with Gators in rugged terrain because they are Black, Goretex, have a full rand, and the 3/4 shank can't be beat for carrying heavy loads on uneven terrain.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes one's personal preference and the argument of uniformity has to take a backseat to what is effective for the lowest common denominator of mobility assets   -   The 'Black Cadillacs'.

I have no idea how many of the gazillion sizes are actually available.   When they issued me my boots in 2001, they actually gave me two different sizes by mistake, one longer and more narrow, one shorter and wider.   Both work, however I perfer the narrow & long pair.   Yup, they suck on ice, I've been told that will be addressed.   Still the best army boot I've worn of the 7 or 8 different styles sitting in my basement.   If the boots don't fit and we can't exchange them I would be very disappointed (though perhaps not too surprised).

And my decree wasn't about uniformity, it was about stability.   I let those who had a good pair of civy hiking boots (green, brown or black) wear them in the mountains on ops.   I wouldn't   let them wear desert boots or jungle boots.   Had to do with weightload, bad terrain, width of the sole, consequent stability, and a paucity of simple medical evacuation (no ambulances, only helo) making stupid footwear casualties much more difficult to accept when the "man eating MLVW" wasn't following along behind.   No pissing contest intended.

Agreed.

And thanks for not being defensive.

I have thrown troops out of refreshers for fear of a broken ankle on the landing swings, and have also had them change footwear before jumping for much the same reasons.  Hi Techs look 'cool' in garrison, and in my estimation they literally are.  However, they have no place impacting on a DZ, or bearing the load of 300+ pounds of soldier and kit on uneven terrain.

I guess we agree that 'if the shoe fits.............' ;D

Will someone get jacked up for wearing resoled Mk3s, or is it one of those things no one really cares about?

I know that this is a hideously plug-type question, but where can I find out about all these different types of boots you're all talking about? Being freshly qualified I've only ever seen the "black cadillacs," goretex, and dessert boots. Is there anywhere I can find a picture of these "high tech" boots or MKIIIs? And what is a Vibram sole?

Thanks for your time,
Pte Gremlin

Look at the various aftermarket dealers in military kit, such as US Cavalry or Lightfighter.com

(Google those names)

Is there anywhere I can find a picture of these "high tech" boots or MKIIIs? And what is a Vibram sole?

MK3_Comparison.JPG

On the right is an issued MkIII (aka Black Cadillac) combat boot. On the left is a MkIII that has had the hockey puck sole removed and replaced by a vibram sole. Vibram is also the stuff that the soles on your Gortex Wet Weather Boots is made of. Its a softer material then the issued sole and reduces in knee, back, and foot injures that come from long marches with heavy loads.

Will someone get jacked up for wearing resoled Mk3s, or is it one of those things no one really cares about?

You need a medical chit to be allowed to wear vibram soles on you MkIIIs. In reality, its hard to enforce this rule because half the guys in an infantry unit have legitimate vibrams and most NCOs arn't going to be stopping guys at random to find the few who went out and got vibrams on their own. Especially, when its commonly held that everyone should be issued vibrams right off the bat just because of the work we do. I went through the long and painfull process of medical appointments to get my vibrams, but alot of guys get them done outside of the military. Depending on your unit, its possible to get your boots resoled yourself, then go to the UMS after the fact and ask them to issue you a chit for them. So to answer you question: most people don't care, but it's better to have a chit just to be on the safe side.

So, do you have the ice slippage problems with the resoled Vibrams like on the WW boots?

I have 200g thinsulate Danner Acadias with the vibram kletterlift sole that I wear flying and I have no problems with ice slippage, even after the 1/2 inch of freezing rain we got last winter in Portage.  I've had them for 3 years now and they're the doggies danglies, they're just a little too warm for the summertime. They're a whole lot better than the flat soled aircrew version of the MkIII's, those things were an accident waiting to happen on ice.

brin11 said:
So, do you have the ice slippage problems with the resoled Vibrams like on the WW boots?

I don't think so.  I haven't conducted any scientific studies but it appears to be a case of rubber density.  The compound on the CWWB is probably a lot harder than the soles that are purchased seperately, therefore less pliable, less shock absorption, and less traction at colder temperatures.  One can only guess why they would do that but my money is on the save-money-by-making-soles-that-last-longer-than-the-boot-itself option.

Thanks for the info Inch & excoelis.  I've come pretty close to breaking my neck in those CWW boots.  Like the boots, hate the soles in winter.

The WWB are real nice in mucky springtime or wet fall conditions, but as soon as the frost hits and the ground starts to freeze, they are an accident waiting to happen.  I've seen MANY people nearly buy it walking around in those.

To be perfectly honest, I've had no problems with the MkIII's in moderately cold winter weather (down to about -5ish), with a double layer of socks.  I haven't tried them with the gore-tex socks, having only just been issued those, but I'm gonna guess that'll help keep the wet snow out, and adds an extra layer of warmth.  The trouble is, to keep warm your feet need air to circulate around through the woolies and base layer of socks, which is tough if you have 2-3 layers going.

The mukluks are a dream in really cold weather, but are crap as soon as a drop of water gets in them.  They're no good for long marches, owing to the total lack of ankle support, though.

I have also worn the Junglies down in Florida, and during Stalwart Guardian last month.  They're great, but I wouldn't wanna march too far in them, as there wasn't much ankle support.  I have the ripple soles, which were pretty awesome for gripping terrain.

I can't speculate on my brand new desert boots, as I haven't had a chance to wear them out in the field yet.  They look high-speed, low-drag.  Some folks I've heard from have said they're the best thing going.  Can't wait to try 'em!

I haven't tried them with the gore-tex socks, having only just been issued those, but I'm gonna guess that'll help keep the wet snow out, and adds an extra layer of warmth. 

Goretex socks are alright if you are just standing around, but after going any distance in them they tend to bunch up under the arch of your foot. This fold can cause some serious pain and means you'll have to loosen your boots to pull up your socks every so often. The WWB are only a problem when walking on packed snow and ice. The fact that they're warm and waterproof outweighs any disadvantages IMHO, even if it means I have to watch my step. As for the mukluks, this summer I managed to aquire some gortex socks large enough to fit over my duffel socks. I'm sort of curious to see whether or not I'll have the same "bunching and folding" problem when worn with the mukluks.

I have the resoled MKIII and I don't know if the material is different but it has way better traction (probably softer) then the new boots we have.  I also find the new boots too hot for anything above plus 10.

Back