• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boots and re-occuring blister problem

-Boomer-

Inactive
Reaction score
I've had my Mk 4's for over a year now but i keep getting blisters on the back of my heels every time I go for a ruck march only as far 5 km. The blisters are bad enough where i have to walk awkwardly. I have tried the hot water bath to form the boots and i also have arch support insoles yet I still get the blisters. I have also used mole skin and blister bomber(which didn't work so great), but I don't want to have to use these things in order to try and prevent them. Maybe they issued me too big boots? I wear about a 9.5 civy shoe and I have a 250/94 gp boot. This issue is really frustrating me and all i want to do is be able to walk long distances without any damn blisters.
Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried going to Supply and getting them to remeasure your feet ?

Also, I've heard that complaint about the GP boots before; back of the heel is stiff in the boots.

IMO, if possible ditch them and buy yourself a good pair of boots.

If you need to modify the boot with a lot of mole skin & arch supports, then it is likely that you are incorrectly sized. I'd take -Skeletor-'s advice and get re-sized. If that still doesn't work, see your Physio Clinic and see if they will give you a prescription for custom orthotics. In some cases I've seen the CF custom make boots for personnel.

You also have to consider the socks that you're wearing.  Try different types and combinations - at least two socks at a time.  This might be enough o lessen the problem.

-Skeletor- said:
Also, I've heard that complaint about the GP boots before; back of the heel is stiff in the boots.

If the Mk 4's (I have never heard of Mk 4's) are the GP boots, I have the same problem with the heel.  I have mentioned it before on this site, as have many others.  The box in the heel cut 1/4 inch into my heels on the first day of workup for BFT (approx 5 km) and this was after the boots had been broken in for over a year.  They are cripplers.  It took me months to heal up.  I bought a pair of Oakley's and wore them for a week and then did a BFT when my feet were in good shape again, and never got a single blister.  I also double sock for BFTs with the thin Black sock (of the Black/Green combo) inside the heavy Grey sock. 

GW,

Did you order your boots off of the oakley forces site, or did you pick them up somewhere in Ottawa? If you got them locally, what was the going price?

Spectrum said:
GW,

Did you order your boots off of the oakley forces site, or did you pick them up somewhere in Ottawa? If you got them locally, what was the going price?

A Capt at the CG was going around collecting names for a large order.  Got them for $75. 

George Wallace said:
A Capt at the CG was going around collecting names for a large order.  Got them for $75.

Just a curiosity, are you allowed to wear your oakleys on garrison or are they only for field use?

Boomer, having completed five Nijmegen Marches, and a bunch of other endurance type events, with the issue combat boots, I feel your pain. Couldn't resist the pun. Blisters have a great way of hobbling even the otherwise most fit individuals. I had to learn the hard way how to pick and prep my boots - and in the worse cases how to tape feet.  I got it to the point where I could do a 4X40km with no blisters and a smile on my face the whole way - but only after years of trial and error (and bloody socks) and learning that I should have just stuck with the basics.  First thing to learn is that there is no magic boot/sock/insole, there is no voodoo trickery involved.  Don't think that the guy who never gets a blister has any special trick; or how he does his system is going to work for you.  Some people just have good feet, and picking the same boots/socks as them will not necessarily do yourself any favours.  I knew a certain Halifax Lineman who got in from a wild night in Nijmegen just moments before the morning march off, and he was in such a hurry/hungover, that he didn't put any socks on.  He then did a 40-km march with no socks - and only complained of a hot spot at the end of the day - mind you I think he sleepwalked through the first 20-km.  Advice you've had here is good.  1.  Get a good fitting boot (be a pain in the *** if you need to), the issue boot will work if you train enough in it, and do the other steps, 2.  Get a very good insole, 3. Get a GOOD sock system - the military one works (thin undersock and heavier outer sock) 4. Practice,practice,practice, if you make a change give it time, don't expect to see results right away. 5. If all else fails and you continue to get blisters on a particular part of your foot learn how to tape your foot in that area.  5-10 minutes to tape part of your foot should save you on the blisters (if done right) - but don't get too used to it, you still need to get your feet worn in.  Remember there is no magic boot, a number of the light patrol/assault boots you see on the market aren't great for bracing your ankles when you're carrying weight.  Remember there is no substitute for your feet in the boots and rubber on the road - practice - and there is some truth that your foot has to learn to fit the boot as much as the boot fits your foot.  Final advice, toughening your feet is good, but be careful not to get thick calluses. File them down if you need to, nothing hurts like a deep blister under a thick callus.

George Wallace said:
If the Mk 4's (I have never heard of Mk 4's) are the GP boots, I have the same problem with the heel.  I have mentioned it before on this site, as have many others.  The box in the heel cut 1/4 inch into my heels on the first day of workup for BFT (approx 5 km) and this was after the boots had been broken in for over a year.  They are cripplers.  It took me months to heal up.  I bought a pair of Oakley's and wore them for a week and then did a BFT when my feet were in good shape again, and never got a single blister.  I also double sock for BFTs with the thin Black sock (of the Black/Green combo) inside the heavy Grey sock.

For whatever reason, I find my left GP boot has a tendency to cut into my heel if I just shove my foot into it. I usually need to take 30 seconds or so to work my foot into it to make sure the heel doesn't bend and cut in. Even then, there's been times where I've worn them for a few hours and suddenly the top of the left heel ends up digging in.

I have yet to do a BFT with the GP boots. My last BFT I was fortunate enough to wear my desert Miendls and before that I've always worn MK3s and the only problems I've had with the MK3s have stemmed from poor sock choice.

Back