• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot Burning?

M

Marek

So I tried this new technique of polishing my boot. Looked great and got alot of great load of polish onto the boot. Eventualy I started smelling this very strong oder ???, kind of like burning flesh. I imidately stoped my "burn-shining" but it was too late, I got this tough part of my MKIIIs and all the dimples of the leather have disapeared. It now looks like shit. :crybaby: These are   brand new boots as I just got into my reserve unit a few weeks ago. I have now heard that this is a chargeable offence. Forgive me for being a bit worried. Who should I talk to about getting a new set of boots. Any ideas on what to do? I'll even pay for new boots if thats whats needed. Damn it was nice before it got burnt.

Thanks for any help!

h0000Ly daRnit pte!!! LOLZ!!! Some guys in our platoon did that. Now you know... can you cover it up with polish? You should have one more pair or boots, btw. If not, then I guess you better get new ones quick before Remembrance Day ceremonies come.  :warstory:

Thanks for the condescending attidute. I have tried to polish it but it just doesn't reflect the light the same. Besides now I have the smell of burning flesh in my house. I do have another pair of boot;however, I haven't even broken thoes in yet. But I guess I will have to. Any other ideas guys?

Why on earth were you gloss/spit-shining your MkIII combat boots to begin with?    ::)

Are you an unqualified recruit that's wearing combats for Rembrance Day?  If so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just brush shine them the best you can get them and be done with it.

I've only seen 1 person do this, and he didnt polish them first. he burned it with a candle (apparently the burning gas from a lighter ruins the leather). he didnt totally KFC the damn things, he just lightly went over them to remove the dimples. Then he polished them, it worked well, too well..he got jacked up for having cbt boots TOO shiny.

What to do about it? Admit you're mistake, take what you're given and let your higher ups figure out what to do about getting new boots (if they are in fact that bad)

Boiling hot water and a Butter knife.Pour the water over the boots,scrape off with the butter knife until all the polish is gone,and start over.
PS-don't dwell over one spot with the lighter,just a quick pass,about 3 inches away,polish immeadiatly

I am so sorry about whats has happened to you... next time sue a kiwi cloth and kiwi polish and ALOT of water it goes a long way and it doesnt burn the boots!! lol jk!! well if i were u tell the ppl u were wrong... but i no sum 1 who did the exact same thing... and she just threw them out and said she lost them... but she lied and thats bad.. well better luck next time...
much thought
mandey  :eek: :D ;) ;D

Why on earth were you gloss/spit-shining your MkIII combat boots to begin with?  Yes, I have to agree with Matt_Fisher on that one!

However, the deed is done, and I realize that you were just trying to find a shortcut for a positive result.  Albeit a shortcut, at least you were taking pride in trying to represent in a "sharp" fashion.  The only suggestion I would have is to find an Army surplus store and purchase another pair.  Granted, I'm not saying that this is the ethically correct solution...just another option.

Finally, and there are many that don't know this, the polish is flammable.  Call it an old occupational hazard, but I've been privy to more than one scenario in which the polish, or a careless incident due to burn-shining, caused a fire.  :skull: 
Be careful, or more correctly, don't do it at all!

Chimo

Heatwave said:
Finally, and there are many that don't know this, the polish is flammable.   Call it an old occupational hazard, but I've been privy to more than one scenario in which the polish, or a careless incident due to burn-shining, caused a fire.   :skull:  
Be careful, or more correctly, don't do it at all!

Heh... so very true... I had somone suggest to me the summer that if you were to heat up a small amount of polish in the lid of the tin to a liquid state, and then apply it to your boots, it soaks in and makes a more longer lasting shine...

It was easily over 40C the day I decided to try it... the polish was already in a semi-liquid, sort of jelly like state...

Anyway, using a pair of vice grips to hold the tin, and a lighter to heat the polish, I managed to turn it to liquid in just a few seconds... when suddenly, it burst into flames, and scared the crap out of me. Aside from a bit of hot wax on my legs, and a fair amount more spilled on the grass, no harm done... but still, an illustration of how flammable the stuff is... you should note, there was no direct application of flame to the polish, I was heating the underside of the tin... but it was still hot enough to burst into flames.

Marek said:
I have now heard that this is a chargeable offence. Forgive me for being a bit worried.

You should be worried, here's the relevant QR&Os

http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol2/ch103_e.asp#103.48
http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch038_e.asp#38.03

You won't get 2 years in Club Ed for burning your boots, but you could be charged a monetary amount and you'll probably have to pay for new boots.  Combat boots are not to be spit shined, I don't know the relevant reference for that but I know it's not to be done.  Combat boots are to be shined with a brush only.  The new combat boots (wet weather boots, basically, anything with gortex) are not to be polished, there's a special dressing that you're supposed to use that will still allow the leather to breathe.

Cheers

Back