• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ/Ql2/Ql3

def jam

Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Hello Simple question here and yes I did use the search function however it turned up only comments on the courses. Im going infantry reg force and I was woundering if QL2 is soldier qualifaction or is it basic training and if QL3 is the actual infantry course before being posted to a regiment its hard to know with all the terms these days. Thanks for any replys 

Ql2=BMQ= Basic Military Qulification i.e. Basic Training
SQ= Soilder Qualification
QL3=DP1= Your First Trades Course i.e Engineer Section Member Course or Infantry Battle School

Hope this helps.

QL2 was what the old basic course was called, its now BMQ and SQ.

To provide a quick overview of the full model, this explanation has been adapted from a presentation on the Army NCO career model given at an LFDTS briefing given about a year ago. It was described as "the New NCM DP Model" (SOME ASPECTS MAY ALREADY BE OUT OF DATE, for example, SQ is evolving again.) Notes below were based on general and infantry slides in the presentation.

Developmental periods:

DP1 - Recruit / Pte Trained
DP2 - Pte Trained/ Corporal
DP3 - Master Corporal / Sergeant
DP4 - Warrant Officer / Master Warrant Officer
DP5 - CWO

In DP 1 there is little change from the 'old' system.  New recruits will complete BMQ in St Jean, then complete the new army-common Soldier Qualification (SQ) at an Area Training Centre (ATC).  Following this, infantry soldiers will complete their infantry recruit trg at the ATC before being badged and posted to their first battalion.  This system is little different from the old QL1, 2 and 3 training system of the past.

In DP 2 there has been some changes and improvements made. 

The Primary Leadership Qualification (Land) (PLQ(L)) course: Foundation course for the leadership of the NCM Corps

- Continue study of the Profession of Arms
- Practical leadership in a tactical/sub-unit environment
- Application of Rules and Regulations

DP 2A â “ Platoon Support Weapons course is the son of the QL4 Machine Gunner course, but now includes trg on basic small arms coaching, the Eryx and the 9mm pistol.  When the new ALAWS enters service in 2006/7, it will also be taught during this course. 

DP 2B â “ Section 2IC course is the son of the old LFC Jr NCO (Infantry) course.  This is the first leadership course within the infantry NCM program. 

The PLQ(L) teaches basic leadership to all Army NCOs whereas the DP2B course builds upon this basic foundation and goes on to train and then test potential infantry Jr NCOs on section tactics.  A junior NCO can complete the PLQ(L) and the DP 2A course in any order, but both are prerequisites for the DP 2B course.

In DP 3, there is no Army courses but the CF Intermediate Leadership Qualification (ILQ) course is the son of the old Senior Leaders course. 

ILQ Aim - To provide Sgts with the basic tools (skills and Knowledge) necessary to perform their duties at the rank of WO/PO1; introduction into the Warrant Officer Corps

- Deeper study of the Profession of Arms
- Deeper study of leadership
- Practical leadership in a tactical/unit environment
- Application of policies
- Intro to staff duties

Infantry NCMs will first complete the DP 3A course, which is the son of the legacy Small Arms Instructor course and then the DP 3B â “ Platoon 2IC course, which is the son of the old QL6B.

In DP 4, an Infantry NCM will have to first complete the Advanced leadersip Qualification (Land) (ALQ(L)) â “, and then the DP 4 Company Sergeant Major's course, which replaced the old QL7 and finally the CWO course.

ALQ - To provide WOs with the basic tools (skills and Knowledge) necessary to perform their duties at the rank of MWO  (Prerequisite for promotion to MWO/CPO2)

- Progressively Deeper study of the Profession of Arms
- Progressively Deeper study of  the leadership manual
- Staff duties/Intro to operational level

I just got my posting message today for meaford ontario. Recurit school by-pass it says Inf,031,QL2,MOSID 00010,Land.
Posted to LFCA TC BTL MEAFORD TO ATTEND BASIC OCCUPATION TRG CFRG HQ BORDEN BTIM.MBR TENTATIEVLY SCHEDULED TO AWTR FOR QL3. REP TO MEAFORD NLT 28 OCT 05. Does this mean that I am going on the BIQ course I guess thats what ql3 is for infantry. and what in the name of god does that ql2,mosid 00010,land mean. Never got a chance to ask the recruiter. thanks for the help. if anybody knows what this means please tell me.

The Military came up with a new way of ID'ing trades, The MOC for infantry is 031 an the MOSID for Infantry is  00010. Land means Army(ie your on a army course). BIQ is your Basic Infantry Qualification, the infantry QL3.

Yeah man I got the same message yesterday I'm not sure about that whole deal either. I dint know if going on Ql3 means that Im going on SQ again or if it means im going on BIQ.Anyone care to enlighten us

def jam said:
I just got my posting message today for meaford ontario. Recurit school by-pass it says Inf,031,QL2,MOSID 00010,Land.
Posted to LFCA TC BTL MEAFORD TO ATTEND BASIC OCCUPATION TRG CFRG HQ BORDEN BTIM.MBR TENTATIEVLY SCHEDULED TO AWTR FOR QL3. REP TO MEAFORD NLT 28 OCT 05. Does this mean that I am going on the BIQ course I guess thats what ql3 is for infantry. and what in the name of god does that ql2,mosid 00010,land mean. Never got a chance to ask the recruiter. thanks for the help. if anybody knows what this means please tell me.

Inf - Infantry
031 - Infantry Military Occupation Code (MOC)
QL2 - With  a recuit bypass you are 'granted" QL2 (I suspect the computer system is still using the old codes)
MOSID 00010 - new occupation code for Infantry (IIRC)
Land - Your environment, which dictates such things as your DEU (green suit, not blue), etc.

Thanks Mike for the reply.Now that I know Im awaiting traing for QL3 Infantry which is BIQ, was woundering do anybody know when the next reg biq will be starting in meaford. thanks once again. Im guessing if I have to report on the 28th that a BIQ will be starting soon after

Back