• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
You guys sound like you‘re a bunch of whiney girls. Man, after a week of marching, getting yelled at, PT, inspections, PT, inspections, getting yelled at, marching, trying to keep awake in class, getting yelled at, inspections, getting yelled at, waking up at 4:15 because Buddy beside the bunk wanted to get an early start on each and every day, getting yelled at; going for a walk to the MRI for a bunch of shots was a welcome vacation for a few hours on my course. Remember,
sitting in the chair waiting for the medical staff to sort out the platoon is a good time to relax and enjoy the relative peace and quiet. You will find "shots day" to be nice break in the storm. Hehe.

Originally posted by Bert:
[qb] You guys sound like you‘re a bunch of whiney girls. [/qb]
I hope I‘m not included in this because I just wanted to know what the vaccinations were lol. I don‘t care about getting them :D

Vaccinations:

Bring any and all information you have (Civilian Yellow book / Family Doctor Immunization Record) with you to basic when you go for immunizations. This will prevent duplication of vaccination.

You will (then again they change all the time) get (unless you have gotten before and/or they are still current):

Yellow Fever
Mumps Measles Rubella (MMR = 1 shot)
Polio
Tetanus / Diphtheria (Td = 1 Shot)
Meningococcal Meningitis

and the PPD (tuberculosis) skin test

Might also get Hepatitis A or A/B Combo (I would if given the option) and / or the Influenza vaccination.

I know Smallpox is off the list, and I am pretty sure adenovirus (4&7) and Typhoid Fever is off the list for basic (Typhoid is still a deployment vaccine).

The next hint. Once you get your hands on your "yellow book" (although they are not yellow anymore, but rather blue) hold on to it, and do not let anyone take it from you if given the option. If you loose it... you might be in for more vaccinations (without cause). Trust me, treat it like your ID Card.

Hope that helps.

MC

I hate needles. I think I have a mild needle phobia. My last needle was grade 7. After my shot I got up from the chair, walked three feet and completely fainted, hitting my head on the wall in the process. I woke up half an hour later on some dirty gym mat with nurses and my class mates surrounding me.

After that they told me to always get needles lying down or the same will happen again. Maybe I‘ll dish out the couple hundred bucks to get my shots in a hospital before I go to basic.

Hey,

In St-Jean, during the vaccinations, they seperate the pers who have problems with needles and give them special treatment.. no need to worry about it.

ok first of all everyone keeps asking questions on the physical side of basic training physically its not very hard, mentally its harder, u get close to no sleep, your **** on all day, and dont worry about doing something perfect there is no such thing, even if you do do it right they will make things up, and if the person next to you doesnt have his **** perfect and you do your gonna get raped by the instructor asking you why your shits perfect and his is not, your a team you work as one. i loved my platoon but we were rotten, 47 of us in teh beginning and 25 in the end. i got sick and missed two days of first aid so i got recoursed. and age dont worry about being to old or two youngn we had some people that were 17 and nsome that went as old as 40.

47 then 25 at the end :( ****. I remember reading on this forum that 96% (or somewhere close) made it and the other 4% had left because injury or another reason. :confused:

well... our platoon was more hardcore than the rest. our sister platoon had it pretty easy so everything that we had to do and they didnt, we also had to do for them. most platoons only lose around 4-5 people out of 60 some ours had some pretty hard *** instructors. but im happy i went through the experience with my platoon and no one elses gives a more realistic take on the military we all wanted the full metal jacket experience and the experience we had made full metal jacket look like a cake walk wich it was. we even had a few gomer pile experiences like when the older guy fell out of line when we were running and couldnt get up, the instructors were liek get teh **** up what the **** is your problem are you going to die on me... sigh im going back i feel out of place now

First you say its not very hards, and then you say full metal jacket look like a cake walk compared to it?

In my opinion, the figure of 96% success rate of passing BMQ is correct. But theres a further
context to it.

This is not to scare anyone and it always best to
speak to your recruiter at the CFRC if you have any questions.

Out of every BMQ platoon, there are a few who do not pass the original course. Most of these are "recoursed", or placed on a personnel
awaiting training platoons (PAT) until the next
course starts up. Some seek a voluntary release,
others may get a medical discharge if they cannot
continue with training.

As an example, the platoon I was on started with
58 recruits and gradutated 48.

We had:
1 VR; 1 guy was placed on PAT because of a torn
tendon in the knee and could not meet PT
standards; 1 guy inflamed a previous elbow tendonitis problem and couldn‘t perform push-ups, he was recoursed; 1 guy acquired a foot infection
and the recovery time made him loose too many
classes and was recoursed; 2 guys were temporarily
attached to our platoon only for the first three
weeks (fitness retest after an injury), 1 person
acquired a foot stress fracture during forced
marches later in the course and was placed on PAT, 2 people failed the weapons handling re-test and were recoursed, 1 person was unable to complete the field exercises due to stress and was recoursed.

Out of the 10 recruits that could not graduate with our original platoon, 9 were placed on
PAT, allowed to recover, and placed into another
or future platoon. I know them and they are dedicated people. They‘ll pass/have passed their
next course.

BMQ is by far a soft course physically by military standards. Yet, it can be quite a
shock for civilians/recruits pschologically (sp). I guess most members on the forum may have similar
experiences.

If you don‘t do silly things like horse around,and keep healthy, get as much sleep as possible, take care of your feet, watch that you don‘t inflame training injuries, you should be
alright and avoid missing too many classes.

This is not to say everyone won‘t have problems.
Blisters, pulled muscles, sore feet, chronic fatigue, physical fatigue will effect everyone
at least sometime in the course. Just keep
going and maintain a sense of humour.

BMQ isn‘t difficult. SQ and BIQ, though, I‘m not going to say anything. I‘m on both of those for the entire summer, back to back in Wainwright.

its tough but not physically tough, its just mental.

Thanks Bert for your post.

I‘m going Aug 2. I want to know everything I possibly can.

I am taking all my completed forms to the Recruiting office in Saint John NB on Tuesday for WEAPONS TECHNICIAN, Reserves. Please tell me when you get needles and how many.  :crybaby:

mazda3mazdaspeed said:
I am taking all my completed forms to the Recruiting office in Saint John NB on Tuesday for WEAPONS TECHNICIAN, Reserves. Please tell me when you get needles and how many.   :crybaby:

Well first off, wait until you get your foot in the door before you start worrying about this stuff.

During the recruting process you will not see any needles.

However on BMQ(on mine atleast) we got a few shots, bring your vaccination records when you go on course, it could save you from getting some of the shots. I did, I only ended up getting two shots, while some buddys got 5-6.

Agreed, don't worry about the needles until you get to BMQ. But when you go, make sure you take vaccination records, it saved me from a whole bunch of needles, while others who did have all their vaccinations up to date and didn't bring the records still got their shots.

Needles is the least of the worries, and they aren't anything big, they are all the common shots for stuff like measles, mumps, rubella, etc... all the childhood ones and ones for polio and tetnus as well as more I think.

Don't worry, the nurses are nice and they will hold your hand if you cry. ;)

Why is it that you can put a weapon in a guy's hands and he will shoot or stab anything that comes in his path, but the moment you bring out a needle that's less that an inch long and they cry like little children?

Heaven help you if you go overseas and need to be vaccinated for everything.

I have no idea where my vaccination records are (I'm sure my mother does), but I think I'd just as soon get them all redone just for peace of mind.  There's no harm in getting vaccinated again, is there?  I missed the measles vaccination in high school, so I've always been a little paranoid about not being vaccinated.

Needles don't bother me at all.  Probably because when I was younger I had to get weekly allergy shots, and then in high school I had to get monthly blood drawn because of a medication I was taking. 

Back