• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

blisters...tips to prevent? tips to treat them ?

N

nate1982

anybody know anything that will help blisters?
prevent...treat....
or do you just tough it out until it calluses over?

I‘ve actually been meaning to ask a similar question for awhile now, so here it is:

I recently bought a new pair of Dr. Martins after wearing only skate shoes for a couple of years. I‘ve been wearing them for a few months and I keep getting blisters on the back of my heel. If I do them up really tight I can get a couple of hours of walking in before the blisters show up. The next day it is excruciatingly painful to wear the boots again if I don‘t bandage the blisters (as I‘m sure many of you have experienced).
However, I found a bandage (Band-Aid brand blister bandages) which is an amazing product. You put one on, and leave it on for about 4 or 5 days, they adhere perfectly and dont come off until you want them to. They have a gel pouch on them which sits over top the blister and completely nutralizes any friction or rubbing that you would feel through an ordinary bandage, which means (at least for me) I can literaly go for a jog in my boots, even with a moderately severe blister, and feel no pain.

My question is, will I be allowed to bring my own blister protection to basic training?
Or do they have a rule that dictates how you treat minor injuries? (ie you must see a medic, products you can/can‘t use, etc)

tough it out. Where i work i have been whereing steel toed boots for ages. Ask first my feet were sore and covered with blisters...if you can bare pain just tough it out and in the end you‘ll have tough feet. My feet do not get sore after running in my steel toed boots. I never had a blister in them for weeks upon weeks now. But no the other hand those band aid brand blister bandages do work well. but i just prefer to toughen my feet up so blisters don‘t come back.

Start off with your boots- this works for any leather boots, not sure about the synthetics though.

Take them home, fill them full of water, and leave them (full) in the bathtub over night. Next morning, empty them out. Heave the issued innersole, and replace with a good quality running shoe innersole. Lace them on over a good pair of socks, and carry on. Wear the boots all day, they should be dry by the end of the day. The boots now fit your feet.

Wear them a few times, but not on any runs or long marches. After a few days of wear, they‘re now "your‘s".

Socks- should be 100% pure wool, or a wool-poly blend- not less than 50% wool. Make sure they‘re nice and thick. Any thin/holed socks, discard.

Make sure that you change your socks daily. If you soak your boots, change the socks again when able.

Using foot powder will help keep your fet dry. A squirt inside the sock, and another into the boot.

Maintain your boots with Kiwi shoe polish. Yes, you‘re supposed to use only silicone- and it works fine. I like Kiwi. A good, well worked in coating of shoe polish re-applied daily will make most boots reasonably waterproof, and protect the leather well.

Covered many miles, ran daily in cbt boots, never had a blister. Take care of your boots and your feet, maintain the edge by putting the miles on, and you‘ll be fine.

Cheers-Garry

I agree with Farmboy, moleskin is a great product. I used to use second skin under moleskin with a blister or just moleskin before blisters. Better to prevent than to treat in my opinion. You get to know after awhile where you will develop them so just stick a layer of moleskin on those areas prior to a march, etc.

It‘s weird, but sometimes I think "corporate memory" has fallen victim to the Bermuda Triangle ...

Anyway - once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away ... we were taught to wear two pairs of socks - a thin inner liner, and then the gray wool issue sock over it. Instead of your foot rubbing against the boot, the two layers of socks bore the brunt of any friction - the liner stayed with your foot, and the outer stayed with the boot. Pretty simple.
Also, the thick sock absorbed any moisture, and the thin liner stayed relatively dry - but beware: Cotton inner socks are disasterous for some people - the cotton keeps the moisture against your skin, softening it up ... a recipe for the The Blister From **** ... (don‘t forget - this was years before Goretex ...).
"Coolmax" came out with a running sock that had two layers built in, and now the Army has issued a two-pair sock system (26 years after our Airborne instructors taught us ... ditto for Vibram soles, but ... I digress ...)

Moleskin is also useful, and using Second Skin under moleskin was probably the inspiration Dr Scholl‘s to market those blister bandages (too bad some grunt didn‘t patent it ...)

Alternate your boots when you can, and good Goretex socks come in pretty handy in swamps (I don‘t like the Goretex socks they issued me - they‘re more like garbage bags than socks - I picked up a good pair that fit like real socks and come up high above the boot top; can‘t remember if they‘re Sealskinz or not - sorry).

Absorbine Junior is good for athelete‘s foot, as well as aching muscles (and Absorbine Horse Liniment is even better, if you can find it).
Happy Trails!

this was the best topic I figured there was to post this in..

The other day I had a wart zapped with Liquid Nitrogen by my doctor. It was tender for most of the day as would be expected, later that night at home I was playing with my son, caught a ball in the hand that had the aforementioned wart and noticed pain, when I looked I noticed blistering, resembled burn blistering. About 30 minutes later I noticed it had turned into a huge blood blister. I can deal with it, as it is tender and slightly painful to the touch, However I have my med test on monday, Am hoping this wont be of any concern as blisters are a common thing, but is there anything I can do to help treat it? I have experience with blisters of different sources however not one that seems to have been caused by freezing...

So you have a case of "freezer burn" and then played catch.  Advice:  Next time don't play catch.  It will go away.  The blood blister will go away.  It will have no affect on your medical.

Roy Harding said:
If you can't take the pain the CF doesn't need you.   ;)

40 lashs from the whip!!

Wow -- this highjack didn't take long!!  >:D

George Wallace said:
So you have a case of "freezer burn" and then played catch.  Advice:  Next time don't play catch.  It will go away.  The blood blister will go away.  It will have no affect on your medical.

Ok, thread back on track..

Thanks George for the quick response. Glad to know it will have no adverse effects on my medical. Never had 'freezer burn' before, but its hard not to play with my son  ;D

And to Roy, although yes, I like pain, and although the salt will most likely help to disinfect and possibly cauterize the open flesh, I plan on on leaving it alone :p

Also as a sidenote, is it possible to get frostbite due to a doctor being a bit over zealous with the Liquid Nitrogen?

I actually had to get a medical document filled out because of my wart on my hand. It hadn't been treated yet(had an appointment for it though) and it was pretty big. The wart turns black and in a couple days you can pull the wart off slowly. If you use any compound-w or soluver+(what I use) it makes the skin around the wart really soft and can peel off layers of it and some skin every couple of days. I went last week to get another spraying from the doctor and she applied alot of it. More then what she put on when I first went in. It did the same thing that it did the first time. Blistered and then turned the wart black which was easy to peel away.

Back