• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bill to strip prisoners of government benefits passes Senate

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
A much talked about subject on many a thread and numerous supporters ::)
Bill to strip prisoners of government benefits passes Senate (Link)

OTTAWA — The Harper government will soon cut off federal income supplements for imprisoned seniors after a bill, inspired by serial killer Clifford Olson, passed Tuesday in the Senate.

Olson, who turns 72 on Jan. 1, has said he would sue the government if the bill passes.

The proposed legislation is set to become law only six months after it was introduced in the Commons, prompted by news that Olson was receiving more than $1,100 a month in federal benefits while incarcerated in Quebec for the murder of 11 children in British Columbia in the early 1980s.

"It is wrong that convicted killers like Clifford Olsen were receiving taxpayers' entitlements such as Old Age Security," Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said in a news release.

About 400 senior citizens, serving sentences of two years or more in federal penitentiaries, will no longer receive monthly Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement cheques.

The government is also negotiating with the provinces to cut off benefits for inmates in provincial jails, which house offenders serving less than two years. Several provinces have already said they will follow suit.

Finley has estimated savings of about $2 million annually by ending benefits for federal prisoners, and up to $10 million once provincial prisoners are included.

Critics have said it's bad policy for the government to hastily draft legislation based on the most extreme example of an offender, such as Olson, and that stripping imprisoned seniors of financial security will make it harder for them to rejoin society if they are eventually released.

The Old Age Supplement is funded through general tax revenues and is designed to help seniors meet their immediate, basic needs in retirement.

Finley has said that there is no reason for Canadian taxpayers to fund income support for imprisoned seniors, since their food and shelter are already covered by public funds.

Prisoners, upon release, will be eligible to apply for benefits.

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

All very well and good, but will it survive a Charter challenge? Will it be challenged? Can it be challenged?

Jim Seggie said:
All very well and good, but will it survive a Charter challenge? Will it be challenged? Can it be challenged?

Why not?
We don't give them freedom of movement or let them drink, smoke, etc.......

What would be the Charter challenge?  I don't see anywhere the right to a pension....

In the first place, to offset the extremely high costs that are related to
prisoners, they should be charged for 'room and board'.
These amounts should be equal to any benifits they may be receiving
from federal/provincial government sources.

So then, any challenge to the 'Charter' would be moot.

I see where this would be useful to those "lifers" who will never get out during their natural life.  the problem comes up with those who may well be released.  How do they go about rebuilding their life if they have no savings from a pension to count on?  Then they just find a way to get themselves back in to prison where they get fed and clothed.

57Chevy said:
In the first place, to offset the extremely high costs that are related to
prisoners, they should be charged for 'room and board'.
These amounts should be equal to any benifits they may be receiving
from federal/provincial government sources.

So then, any challenge to the 'Charter' would be moot.

When I started back in 1989 at the old Guelph CC we were making $13.26 an hour and we had inmates working in the beef centre that was part of our jail making almost $13 an hour,......they got charged 8 dollars a day "room and board". ::)

I don't think you will ever see the mettle [especially from federal Corrections] for an idea such as yours.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
When I started back in 1989 at the old Guelph CC we were making $13.26 an hour and we had inmates working in the beef centre that was part of our jail making almost $13 an hour,......they got charged 8 dollars a day "room and board". ::)

I don't think you will ever see the mettle [especially from federal Corrections] for an idea such as yours.

Nor from Manitoba.

Strike said:
I see where this would be useful to those "lifers" who will never get out during their natural life.  the problem comes up with those who may well be released.  How do they go about rebuilding their life if they have no savings from a pension to count on?  Then they just find a way to get themselves back in to prison where they get fed and clothed.
I stand to be corrected, but wouldn't the inmates still be receiving some pension money through CPP (which would still be going into the bank for the second group you mention), even without OAS and GIS?  My understanding of OAS and GIS is that these are top-ups (so if someone's housing/food costs are already taken care of, one can make the case that they don't need a top-up).

57Chevy said:
Critics have said it's bad policy for the government to hastily draft legislation based on the most extreme example of an offender, such as Olson, and that stripping imprisoned seniors of financial security will make it harder for them to rejoin society if they are eventually released.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

Those critics of the justice system are probably guests of the justice system.

They don't need to collect while incarcerated. If they get out, then they can start to collect.

recceguy said:
They don't need to collect while incarcerated. If they get out, then they can start to collect.

Now come on RG, ...shouldn't they all get out with 40 or 50 grand in a bank account?  I mean all honest people have at least that, right??

Good Point's All
I have a neighbor who was
incarcerated. He showed me
the letter he got from CPP.
Dear sir ect,
according to our record's you
have paid ccp contribution's
(more or less garanteeing you)
500.00 a month pension. my
neighbor came over boo-hooing
"it's less than i make on welfare"
I asked if he applied for GIS
garanteed income supplement."no"
Some how he was approved for GIS
but he only paid lil less than 1/3 of
the amount for his reg CPP pension.
GIS was approved and now he is pull-
ing about 1200 a month. The GIS is
(if i got this right) surplus CPP fund's.
So on top of his paid Contribution's
he is getting 700 a month GIS to top
him up to what he would have got
paying his own full contribution's.
I dont understand how this could hap-
pen. Then again if some one has paid
upfull (incarcerated) i would assume
that would offset his reintergrating back
into society with out being a burden on
the welfare system or other. And including
reintergration provided the prison system
ect. so what i dont understand is how he
somehow qualified for the GIS.
Hope someone can Clarify.
Scoty B

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Oh I see, however,
8 dollars a day for R&B is not enough considering real costs. If they are able to work while incarcerated and
make such earnings then there should be no burden to the taxpayer.
Furthermore IMO R&B should be calculated in conjunction with the national average.
Why should they pay less than everybody else ?
Where is the equality ?

If PMQ renters have to pay based on comparable economic rates, then prisoners should have to as well.

ModlrMike said:
If PMQ renters have to pay based on comparable economic rates, then prisoners should have to as well.

Which comparable economic rate? Should we be paying them the rate that the average person would pay to avoid being thrown in jail? Because, frankly, I don't really think there's all that much demand for housing comparable to prison cells.

gcclarke said:
I don't really think there's all that much demand for housing comparable to prison cells.

Must be something good about them, there's a waiting list..................

Back