• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big guys in the infantry

Hmmmm dumb thoughts crash & burn a lot faster than smart ones ???  :p  (jk)

PanaEng said:
Sure, acceleration is the same. And in a vacuum everything falls at the same speed.  In the air you have to consider the air resistance. Then the denser you are the faster you fall - your terminal velocity is faster.  (not to be wise either   ;)  )

cheers,
Frank

haha ya i never considered terminal velocity
sorry about that

AZA-02 the only way to improve the number of push-ups you can do is by doing more.  When I went through Cornwallis, yes I'm and old Fart, we had a guy that couldn't do more than 5 push-ups in a row.  The instructor made him do 500 a day every day for the whole course.  By week 12 he was doing 60 - 70 push-ups at a time.  Another thing is the army is big into crossfit training now.  It will kick your ass if you use it.  However the best thing about is it brings the small guys and the big to the same level.  Its all about power, endurance and proper form.  If you plan on joining this would be a good thing to start doing.  Just do a search on the web. 

As for the guy that was wondering if he will get the big weapons because he is big.  No we normally give them to the small guys.  Why?  Because it makes the weapon look bigger and the small guy funnier.

Size doesnt mean shit, Me and my buddy were both 150 pounds, both c9 gunners, and both carried 100 pounds or more on dismounted patrols overseas.

Whether your a small guy or a big guy just make sure you put everything into PT, stay either with the pack or ahead of it, never behind it and you'll be fine.

That's right, just keep going and don't stop.  Size only maters when you make it mater.  It's drive and motivation that maters.

but if a 220 lb guy who is built had the same motivation as the 120 lb guy i think the larger guy would be better off.

Again that all depends! if you take a 220lbs guy who never got off his but in his life and an athletic 120lbs guy , then the 120lbs guy will have a better chance no matter what your drive, but if both have been physically active then yest the bigger guy will be better off.

being big has a lot of disadvantages tho, if you lose in a chin up contest or anything it is much worse for the big guy, and if you win everyone says no surprise you are bigger.

We got some feedback recently from an OC on 1-08.  Generally speaking, the big guys had less trouble on dismounted ops (not surprisingly).  The "gazelles" - AKA 20-minute-5KM-guys had it far rougher as the combat load's quite heavy and humping over grape fields/walls/etc. demands quite a bit when done for prolonged periods.

Overall, the "big guys" (assuming they were of comparable fitness levels) had it quite a bit easier than the smaller guys.  "Big" generally describing someone 185/190 - 225. Being 6'2, 185lbs, I'd be at the lower end of the "ideal" bodyweight/carry-weight ratio. 

Unless they're a fitness beast, a 120 lb person is going to have a much harder time carting 80 lbs of water, ammo, etc. than someone 200 lbs and it's not as though the combat load scales to your body weight - everyone's carting roughly the same amount (save C6/M203/signallers).  Bigger muscles carry more weight - it's basic physiology.  If you have a 175 lb guy and a 225 lb guy do deadlifts (assuming equal fitness levels and expertise), the 225 lb guy is far more likely to lift more in absolute terms.

I am an infantry sergeant and a "big guy". I weigh 195 Lbs and i only stand 5'6". i am not a gooey tub of lard though. I have always blown people away with my fitness levels. If your built like a gorilla (the lightest i ever weighed after living in the field for a month with my ruck glued to my back was 180 Lbs) than you have to put a little extra work on cardio, rucking long distances and not so much on upper body strength. Thats my take.

ArmyRick said:
I am an infantry sergeant and a "big guy". I weigh 195 Lbs and i only stand 5'6". i am not a gooey tub of lard though. I have always blown people away with my fitness levels. If your built like a gorilla (the lightest i ever weighed after living in the field for a month with my ruck glued to my back was 180 Lbs) than you have to put a little extra work on cardio, rucking long distances and not so much on upper body strength. Thats my take.
Absolutely, you can be a pretty fast marathoner but if you don't put a ruck on you won't be able to hump crap.
Having bulging pecs do not help to carry the kit up the hill and doing squats is not the same as humping a ruck up a mountain.

cheers,
Frank

And from an operational standpoint, being able to carry weight for a prolonged period is far more useful than having a 3-minute kilometre.

I have to disagree on the squats though.  Squats are great for lower body/core building... useful for weightbearing activities, including taking a knee 100 times a day.

Pointer said:
And from an operational standpoint, being able to carry weight for a prolonged period is far more useful than having a 3-minute kilometre.

I have to disagree on the squats though.  Squats are great for lower body/core building... useful for weightbearing activities, including taking a knee 100 times a day.

Well said!!

Back