• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best waterproofing for shelter half?

YoshinRyu

Inactive
Reaction score
I started to use seam sealent but there are too many tiny spots hwere light shines through the shelter half, although the fabric is perfectly fine.

Anyone recommend a brand of waterproofing? Maybe something I can get at MEC?

Is spray or paint on more suitable? Silicon or urathane based?

Thanks (I'm civy, so exchanging it is not an option. Just want to recoat this surplus item)

NFLD Sapper said:
Well I hit the rye a wee bit early ;)
I would say it's 5 o'clock some where, but, oddly enough, its not. Ah well, good enough here on the Rock now eh ;D

Spray silicon works very well....if you can find any.

Regards

Most spray on and liquid products won't work well when there are holes, even if they are only pin sized. I would suggest sprayint the outside with a silicone based waterproofer, and seam sealer MAY work for pin sized holes. If it doesn't, what I did for my holy, leaky, canvas vehicle roof was to use Automotive GOOP.
>http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672470&bmUID=1206556018299&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443293149&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true<
Available at Canadian Tire. Put it on with a putty knife and it goes on nice and thin. Works great, but not sure how it owuld hold up to repeated folding.
Just my 2 cents.

Goop is great stuff. I was on a civy winter survival course but my sleeping bag was in a poor carrier so it got wet. While drying the bag over a fire I was slow to notice that my rubber pacs were melting like marshmellows! Once home I used Goop on the very large hole and the boots were good for the course the nest weekend.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll pick up so silicon spray. There are no holes in the fabric, the holes are in the coating from storage.

Mike Baker said:
I would say it's 5 o'clock some where, but, oddly enough, its not. Ah well, good enough here on the Rock now eh ;D

5 o'clock? You start late.  ;D

Back