• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Becoming a Combat Engineer Thread - Merged

N

nbk

Okay, I have to fill out my 3 choices, and up until recently, I was content on becoming a Field Engineer. I was then told they were now being called Combat Engineers so I was still content on becoming one of those, ‘Combat‘ sounds a wee bit more stylish then ‘Field‘ in my opinion...

Anyways, the Combat Engineer life really looks appealing to me. I want to travel a lot around the country and around the world, I love building things, working with my hands, and you better believe I love seeing things explode.

But the problem is I was never in my life good at mathematics. I can do simple things such as addition and subtraction of course, and I can easily do the sample questions on the entry test. Things like algebra, calculus, trig, etc, are way over my head.

I have always been good at things like computer programming, which people say you need good math skills to know (which I don‘t have), but I can do it just fine.

The line that got me was "Above average mathematical skills are required to advance to higher ranks in this occupation."

Does this mean I am sunk, if I choose to to Cbt. Eng?

Would I get to travel as much if I were in infantry? Do you get to build/demolish things in the infantry? Would I be better suited for infantry?

What would the advantages of infantry over Cbt. Eng?

I am going reg force, NCM by the way.

Since im not in the forces yet I cannot answer most of your questions but I can say this..

If you want to be a Combat Engineer badly enough then I suggest you put it first as your three choices and maybe choosing another two things that intrest you.

I heard the test was easy so I don‘t think you will have much trouble passin it.

I‘am in somewhat the same boat as you. I want to get into COM Research and if I dont make that, I really don‘t know what else I wanna do besides maybe being a mechanic..

Anyhow, if you really want it this bad, you will get it. I suggest maybe practising as much math as you can before you take the test so you will be ontop of your game.

-Brandon

Having taken the (reserve) QL3 field engineer course, I can tell you that the math isn‘t extremely hard. Basically all we did on the course was long division (for demolitions calculations). Although some people had trouble, everybody passed.

From what I‘ve heard, the math does get a bit tougher on later courses (QL5) but I never took anything past QL3, so I couldn‘t tell you first hand. But don‘t give up on being a Combat Engineer just because you think the math might be hard. It‘s a great trade, you will get to build things, work with your hands, and definitely see things explode. Good math skills are probably something you‘ll acquire with a bit of time in anyway.

are you allowed to use a calculator?

If so, it shouldnt be too hard :p

Normally calculators are around, when they are needed, but you normally are trained to go without anything you dont absolutely need.

And really, it all depends.. if you will be happy sitting at the rank of corporal (which is a very good rank, the working class of the forces) for your career, then go Cbt Engineer. If you are looking to move up... most trades will demand higher math skills the higher you go up....

Thanks for the info...I just stumbled across this pic, making me feel a little better...
4.jpg

Sorry its so big.

When I was coming back into the reserves I looked into both field engineering and infantry. I did infantry in the mid 90‘s, and thought a change would be good. I suppose the fact that the field engineering unit was closest to my home was a factor aswell. Based on what I was hearing (as far as field work), I was disappointed to find the sappers were doing very little but bridging due to budget issues. Sad state for the reserves. The infantry units seem to have more cost effective options for training, so our field work is not so limited. i think because of this infantry is a great reserve occupation.

Speaking from the point of view of a Civil Engineering Technologist working for an Engineering Firm I can tell you from my experience that the math you use on a day to day basis isn‘t that difficult. In the Engineering field though, you do use A LOT of trig. Especially if your surveying equipment is old school. :D The more complicated math comes with the actual design aspect of engineering. In this day in age though most things are not derived as pretty much everything can be looked up in code books. I doubt for your first day they would actually have you designing a 20 floor building in an earthquake zone or a 300 meter bridge. That would just be cruel. Most designers have degrees or many years experience anyway and that‘s where all the difficult math lies. You can be a Combat Engineer without any post secondary education depending on how you score on your CFAT so I doubt they will expect you to have the ability to derive the equation for the Grand Unified Theory. Just do well on the test and I would think that they will teach you everything you need to know to complete your job. Taking a look at the career profile I don‘t think the math is that involved. But then again I still work on civvie street. :)

Here is another post that discussed the options of going Infantry of Engineer.

nbk,
If you meet the standard on the aptitude test, your unit will work to ensure that you have the skills required to progress through the trade. The amount of math you are required to use is very limited for the first few years in. All units have math study packages from CFSME and the units will ensure that the people they send on course are prepared for the math they will be expected to do. I can’t speak for all reserve Engineer units, but I have seen considerable amounts of time spent to ensure soldiers are literate and have the required level of mathematic ability for a course.

Thanks for everyone‘s replies.

Good link, McG, I am not sure how I missed that one...

I plan on making the army my career, would it really be a great idea to remain as a Corporal fot the next 20 years? Could you actually make a great living like that?

Could I make a decent living?

Decent = support myself well, along with maybe a wife down the road.

Well = Comfortably, not on food stamps, able to have a nice apartment with all the amenities with money left over to save, etc.

Well, an Administration (Log) Corporal who just got his CD (12 years) told me he makes roughly 48,000/year (Without deployments... he‘s airforce, doesn‘t go away unless he wants to)

Works out to be roughly 22/hour if you really break it down...

Depends on exactly what you want to do with your life.. a family I doubt can live off of 48,000, but if your s/o is working too, I dont see much issue.. it really depends on your lifestyle.

As McG stated there is a Math package for home study and the Unit will provide help.

Up to your 5‘s the math is simple as you only do demo.calc.‘s hastie and deliberate and other minor trade related problem‘s.
It‘s when you get on your 6 A were you will need the math as you will do bridge classification and will get into bending moment‘s of steel,reinforced concrete,concrete etc.
Then Bridging require‘s math also.
Don‘t fret get the math package and study it and you will do alright.

I just visited my local recruiter and he kind of convinced me that I would be best suited for a field engineer, I wanted to be an infantry, but he said it was the same nearly the same thing.

He described it as extremelly physically challenging and he was a big guy, I don‘t know if I have the physical strength.

I am 16, 5‘8" and weigh 130, I can bench my weight but that‘s not much. If anyone is or is training to be one, do you ahve any useful info as to the training etc.

And is it hard to run with all the equiptment?

I want to be in the CF, definately army. I am just wondering what the main difference is between infantry and Field Engineer. The guy I talked to was biased and even admitted he was just trying to get people to join his regiment. It would be nice to hear the pros and cons of infantry from an unbiased perspective. And, is the 10 week BT the same for everyone or tailored to career.

Engineers build stuff and blow other stuff up. Clear mines and booby traps.
Infantry close with and destroy the enemy, or sit on their *** waiting for the day to pass. LAV races across the battlefield. If it doesn‘t get stuck on route then you bumble out when it stops, shoot a few paper targets. Run through and past the trench, get back in the LAV.

Does it involve math because I just got my report card back and I got 76 in math, 11m.

Back