• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bear robot rescues wounded troops (BBC News)

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a teddy bear face in the middle of a battlefield would be reassuring...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm

The US military is developing a robot with a teddy bear-style head to help carry injured soldiers away from the battlefield.

The Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot (BEAR) can scoop up even the heaviest of casualties and transport them over long distances over rough terrain.

New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.

It is expected to be ready for testing within five years.

While it is important to get medical attention for injured soldiers as soon as possible, it is often difficult and dangerous for their comrades to reach them and carry them back.

The 6ft tall Bear can cross bumpy ground without toppling thanks to a combination of gyroscopes and computer controlled motors to maintain balance.

BEAR FACTS
1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring
2. Hydraulic upper body carries up to 227kgs (500lbs)
3. When kneeling tracked "legs" travel over rubble. Switches to wheels on smooth surfaces
4. Dynamic Balance Behaviour (DBB) technology allows the robot to stand and carry loads upright on its ankles, knees or hips for nearly an hour

It is also narrow enough to squeeze through doorways, but can lift 135kg with its hydraulic arms in a single smooth movement, to avoid causing pain to wounded soldiers.

Ya the teddy bear face is a bit much, replace the head with the respective country's flag, then you really know you're in friendly hands... or paws

I wonder how robust it is to thinks that go boom and bang. When it said that it had a teddy bear face, I was expecting something that looked like a carebear.

heh... if I am lying on a battlefield, injured & in pain - and suddenly this large mechanical thing with a teddybear face/head coming at me & grabbing hold of he... I'd be thinking "terminator" and scared sh!tle$$.

I wonder what Teddy Ruxpin makes of this new technology?

They should have Number 5's on the battlefield, like from Short Circuit, and special Gold Plated versions like in Short Circuit 2

geo said:
heh... if I am lying on a battlefield, injured & in pain - and suddenly this large mechanical thing with a teddybear face/head coming at me & grabbing hold of he... I'd be thinking "terminator" and scared sh!tle$$.
Gotta agree with you, I'd much rather have a real medic working on me rather than a giant Terminator-esque teddy bear dragging me off the field. Call me a luddite but at least a human can tell if you're in serious pain. Ah well, I suppose this is progress :)

I am suprise that some brave hunter hasn´t shot it already.
                                    Regards

time expired said:
I am suprise that some brave hunter hasn´t shot it already.
                                     Regards
It's not that he hasn't wanted to.... he's still trying to figure out what to do with it once he bags it.....
How do you mount one of those things?

Back