• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Battlestar Galactica

Bert

Reaction score
For the sci-fi fans out there, a new Battlestar Galactica mini-series is coming out in January or something like that. Expect the typical Hollywood cliches but the special effects look look alright. Hopefully it will replace the Space:Above and Beyond series that was unjustly cancelled serveral years ago. Check out a few trailers at:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/trailers/full/

The miniseries is already showing in the US.

I‘ve never seen the original, and I‘m not sure whether I want to see them or not.

Space: Above and Beyond kicked *** , I used to watch it all the time. You‘re right that it was unjustly canceled.

Ouch Baker, my shin hurts :D

Ok, here‘s the thing since someone else brought it up.

When I was 8 I had two heroes who influenced my life: Han Solo and Starbuck from BG. Now, what better role model for a little guy than a cigar smoking, womanizing, gambling, hotshot pilot who‘s totally loyal to his friends.

Having said that, in the mini, Starbuck is now a woman...

That one picks at me a bit. I‘m all for equality, but that would be like making Han Solo or Indiana Jones into someone else also. But it‘s a reimagining, so I‘ll try to watch with an open mind.

I‘d would have like the original Singer/DeSantos production to have had a chance (they opted for X-men 2 instead) as they wanted to do BG 30 years later. I thought that would have been good. They say that they still want to, but Singer‘s going for X-men 3 and DeSantos wants to get a "Transformers" movie going, so who knows.

Either way, I liked the original series, only wished the studio hadn‘t interferred and allowed the creators to go with it as they had wanted (a serial) instead of the episodic format they went with. They (studio) didn‘t think the "audience" would be able to follow the intricacies of a weekly show that carried a plot along for a season.

Pick your industry, it‘s a neccessary evil, but I just can‘t stand suits or bean counters.

Starbuck is a chick in this one and the cylons look human now. Thanks but no thanks.

Are there any "traditional" cyclons? Otherwise, it smells like these guys borrowed from their Star Trek roots and introduced ‘Borgs‘.

That sucks. Those Cylons were bad asses back in the day.

Here‘s something I figure is relevant. What‘s with the gear in sci-fi flicks? I was watching a ST: Enterprise episode awhile ago. Basically a western spoof. In the end it‘s the new "military" crew vs. six guns. WTF?? All I could think was. A fair fight, a dozen w/ SA Revolvers/Winchesters, etc... and 5 of us w/ C7‘s w/ M203/C9‘s. No contest.

But what‘s with this single shot laser thing that permeates the movies and tv? Even Space Above and Beyond had them carrying shotguns with a ton of crap on them to look advanced. I‘m trying to think of that last time I saw a flick where a guy had a energy based weapon and just blew the **** out of everything. Just makes me chuckle. Maybe that‘s why I liked "Aliens" so much. Dated now, but a good try for the time. Full auto to the max.

Just having a moment for better special effects I suppose. We need Dale Dye to start "advising" on these sci-fi productions also.

It seems like you guys don‘t know very much. Here is a few things I found on the ‘net to
ponder:

Why did they always shine that light in Baltar‘s face?

One of the great mysteries of Battlestar Galactica was why they shined that light in Baltar‘s face when he was on that high chair in that cylon baseship (or is it base ship?). Come to think of it, it‘s also unclear how he gets up to that high chair. Is there a staircase in the back? Or does a centurion give him a boost to climb up every time?

Getting back to the light, isn‘t it hot and doesn‘t it cause Baltar to sweat a lot? What does Baltar do up there, he doesn‘t seem to have any screens or consoles or anything? And how can Baltar see anything with the light shining in his face?

Of course, the light is there to make him look both imposing and sinister, but it doesn‘t have a good functional purpose.

Why were the Cylons so slow and thinking impaired?

The Cylons of Battlestar Galactica were supposed to be a terrifying enemy, an advanced race of killer robots... but if they were so fearsome, why did they walk, talk and aim so slowly? I mean, the colonial warriors could even hear them coming before you see them (Couldn‘t they get mufflers on their light visor?). And when you see them, you can go out for tea and come back in the time it takes them to aim, raise, and fire their weapons.

And if the Cylons were so smart, why did it take 3 of them to pilot a ship? Come to think of it, why did they even need one Cylon to pilot it, couldn‘t they have built a computer right into each ship?

How scary are robots that you can run away from simply by walking quickly?

How did Colonial Warriors pilot their vipers if they looked down at targeting scanners?

In every battle scene we see Battlestar Galactica viper pilots looking down into their consoles at green targeting scanners as they line up with the enemy ships. But if the Battlestar Galactica viper pilots are looking down at their consoles they‘re not looking out of the window where they‘re going. Then how can they pilot and fight at the same time? Wouldn‘t it have been better to built an electronic hud over the canopy so the Battlestar Galactica colonial warriors could see both at the same time?

Jolly - too fat to fly a Viper?

Ever wonder how someone as fat as Jolly could be allowed to fly a Viper? I mean, like any flying service, they must have weight requirements, right? Do you think he was thin but porked up after he joined the academy?

What‘s with the ladders in Cylon base ships?

The Cylons are a very technologically advanced race of robots, right? If so, why haven‘t they yet invented elevators? When Apollo and Starbuck invade the Cylon baseship, they travel up and down the length of it by climbing down a long ladder!

Isn‘t that a very slow way to move around? What if the baseship is under attack, and the gold cylon in charge is at the top and needs to climb down to the bottom? Wouldn‘t it take him about an hour to get there? Why don‘t they use elevators in their base ships? Do you think the Imperious Leader has to climb up and down a ladder to get to his office on his base ship?

Gold v. Silver Cylons

Ever notice how most Cylons are silver, but their officers are gold plated? Officers also have deeper voices. Do you think that gives them more authority?

Do you think officers are specially built, or do you think silver line troopers that perform well are promoted? If the latter, do you think it‘s very labor intensive to strip off their silver armor and replate them with gold armor, not to mention the time spent tinkering with their sound card to deepen their octave range?

Find more fun stuff here:
http://www.allscifi.com/topics/battlestar_galactica.asp

Until I read the link I actually thought you had spent the time to come up with all of that...?!

You could rip apart any tv show or movie if you wanted to and had the time. I just thought the Cylons had a lot of LCF as did there ships. I think the top bad guys were lizards weren‘t they?

Back