• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Training recieving new gear?

RTaylor

Inactive
Reaction score
I was talking to my brother in law who's on PAT now doing make-work , he stated that for a few days they were moving new kit (new rucksack, some new type of gloves) that were destined for the basic training bases (I'll assume St Jean and probably Borden). It was the new(er) model stuff that's supposed to be replacing the older gear like the old metal framed rucksacks and the like.

Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

Please be true. My ruck sack is about 15 years older then I am and even tender loving care can't fix it.

I just turned my small pack into a ruck, and it still sucks!

RTaylor said:
I was talking to my brother in law who's on PAT now doing make-work , he stated that for a few days they were moving new kit (new rucksack, some new type of gloves) that were destined for the basic training bases (I'll assume St Jean and probably Borden). It was the new(er) model stuff that's supposed to be replacing the older gear like the old metal framed rucksacks and the like.

Ummm..... so you don't believe your brother in law ???

If kit like the new rucksack and gloves are being delivered in large quantities to St Jean, then it is entirely possible that they are destined to the new guys & gals

Then again, maybe he lied  >:D

Maybe recruits are finally getting 82 pattern rucks and CF Gloves. Maybe C1A2s next year. ;D

I start basic the 1st week on July.. hopefully i will get it

Having new kit has nothing to do with how you will do, or not do, on the course.

I don't think Gortex even existed (we called it plastic bags I think  :)) when I did Basic and I made it alive...you will too.

Fraser said:
I start basic the 1st week on July.. hopefully i will get it

Why ?

It might be a "nice to have" but BMQ is only 13 weeks ( or so), having the new kit doesnt change anything.

I want to get the new ruck sack because i hear the old ones are like a sledge hammer on your back.

i had to edit my post my grammar was off

Fraser said:
well from what i hear the other rucks and that should be coming in so i want to get them because i hear the other ones are like a sledge hammer on your back.

for the amount of time you will carry your ruck while on BMQ, you will live even if you get the old one.

::)

RTaylor said:

Apparantly, your brother in law thinks so.   ;D  Or do you doubt your sister's judgement THAT much  ;)

Fraser said:
I want to get the new ruck sack because i hear the old ones are like a sledge hammer on your back.

i had to edit my post.. i had to edit my sentence

Quick question first...is your first language french?

Secondly...I am not sure who told you that the 'old' rucksack was that bad but..it wasn't.  I believe some of the people on here who have trialed the new ruck out of CTS think its a POS and would rather the 'old' one. 

Remember, the folks who fought WWII didn't have either of those rucksacks and oddly enough...WE WON!   ;D

No my first language isnt French, i was just writing my post while watching TV and after i posted it i reread it and it didnt sound right. From people iv talked to int he CF they said that the old rucks are really bad on your back. Different people have different opinions on the rucks.

...and there will be a new bunch of people, who say that about the new rucksack...just like every...other...rucksack...

see a pattern forming yet?

Eye In The Sky how many types of rucks are there, and which one is your favorite?

I guess Fraser, you can start by dumping the MSN speak. We speak the Queen's (proper) english on here

As for the ruck, I have used two, the ole Universal C1 (c.1964), and the 82 (c.1982) Ptrn, the latter having an inferior wire frame but comfortable. I use the 82 ptrn here, as ours are crap.

The 82 Ptrn was designed to be worn over patrol order. I always found it much better than the C1 yolk and carry straps wise. I have seen the C1 frame on the 82 ptrn bag also.

The moral of the story is anything heavy you carry for long distances is going to be heavy, regardless of design.

Don't believe all you hear, and make up your mind once you've humped the ruck in question for a while. Your inexperience shines out your arse.

I have used the 64 pattern "jump ruck", the 82 pattern 'rucksack' and now CTS is pumping out the 'rucksack'.  I do not count the old IPE bag, nor the CTS Small Pack System into the ones I have used.

Personally, I prefered the 64 pattern.  I didn't mind the 82 pattern either (mind you, I always had some UAB with the B Ech or somewhere's...), provided I actually took the time to prepare it properly, paying attention to the fitting/location of the waist strap/back pad in particular.  I have not used the new CTS rucksack and don't anticipate having to in the near future but I believe you can search and find some members thoughts on it who frequent Army.ca and have used it.

17 pages on ruck just on this one thread...http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/629.0.html

Don't be scared of the search feature   ;D

*Edit - It took me less than a minute to find this thread using the Search function.  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/66918.0.html

I know I am inexperienced and i do not hide it. Im just trying to use Army.ca to gain information that could be useful later. Also ill try and learn how to use the search function  ;D

Fraser said:
I know I am inexperienced

Good!

and i do not hide it.

Really hard to do unless you are on radio listening silence only (i.e. not posting at all)

Im just trying to use Army.ca to gain information that could be useful later. Also ill try and learn how to use the search function  ;D

Now you're cookin' with gas! 

Back