• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Band Companies

xT_Tx

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering

Since there are so many sterotypes about band companies at camp and the band at ur home corps, do u think that all the sterotypes are true..that band companies are lazy sissys?? Or are they talented musicians....after all it takes skill to march in time and play and watch mace commands at the same time. :)

I've got a lot of respect for pipers, drummers, musicians, as I'm not good at music, someones gotta do it. ;D

YOU  YOUR

Most people who stereotype band folk such as myself as lazy just don't know the effort that we put in during the summer.

There not lazy they just don't like the band they like other things and why band gets bad reps is because no one gives them that chance to show how hardcore they are then any other companies at camp....i should know i went to  Juliet in blackdown..... :-\

The band focuses on music training and development, as such they're not seen in the same light as other course.  For a non musician it is difficult to understand the work required in mastering the art of music, all they see is cadets sitting in classrooms all day blowing away at their instruments ... which is why band is typically labelled in such a way.  Also because the band don't learn as much about other aspects of cadet training (ex. bushcraft, map and compass, etc) they're labelled as "slack" for not knowing these things (despite their proficiency in music).

Basically band is labelled as they are due to a lack of knowledge about what is involved in being a musician.  Cadets taking band courses can still excel in other areas of cadets, if they put their mind to it.

(I was a J Coy course cadet in 00, 01, and 02 ... and a K Coy Staff Cadet in 04 at Blackdown).

Zedic said:
The band focuses on music training and development, as such they're not seen in the same light as other course.  For a non musician it is difficult to ...Also because the band don't learn as much about other aspects of cadet training (ex. bushcraft, map and compass, etc) they're labelled as "slack" for not knowing these things (despite their proficiency in music)...
At vernon the bad company does just about the exact same as any other company. The common military training is the same for all courses of a specific level, but the music requirement if so much greater for the band courses, than say the coaching skills for the Rifle Coach course.

in vernon band is actually the hardest workin company because we do all the stuff u guys do while learning our instruments, plus u cant get pretty tired holdin a set of pipes on sunset parade.

Despite how everyone believes that band is slack, J-Coy at Blackdown had the best tents out of the whole  camp for the 3 weeks that I was there. So for all who think we're slack, just remember that we have higher standards and we make your mornings more enjoyable!! ;D

Juliet company could not have possibly won the pennant 3 weeks in a row...The camp rsm would not let that happen even if you did have "best tents" because it would just lower the moral of all the other cadets in the other companies. Don't say that J-coy has higher standards then the rest of the companies there at blackdown. Especially alpha, the only reason they didn't win the pennant is because the rsm probably wanted them to work harder so they can be like an idol or something even when their standards were up to par.

Army_lax19,

Juliet company did indeed win the pennant 3 weeks in the row, that is becuase there are two pennants handed out. One pennant for J coy and K coy and one for the other 9 coys. Alpha did not win the pennant once this year because the failed to adhere to the standards laid out by the adult RSM. In fact this is the first year in several years (more than two) that B coy won the pennant.

Thank You for the support, GGHG_CADET for the support and having your facts straight. Just as a reply for Army_lax19, this topic is praising band companies. I am not trying to attack you I am just stating the facts. If you have anything to say to me PM because this topic does not need any quarrels.

Zedic said:
Basically band is labelled as they are due to a lack of knowledge about what is involved in being a musician.  Cadets taking band courses can still excel in other areas of cadets, if they put their mind to it.
I agree!  Unfortunately, this lack of understanding extends beyond the cadet world and it is something I've had to deal with many times over the years, even in the Reg Force and PRes.

The simple fact is that all Army Cadets learn the same basic skills.  A musician with a green star right up to NSCE has exactly the same qualifications and was taught the same skills as any other cadet wearing those badges.  At camp it's still a CL or CLI course, the cadets just happen to all be musicians who in addition to passing the Performance Objectives for CL or CLI also have to achieve the next music level beyond the one they arrived at camp with.  Band cadets do indeed excel in other areas of the program, this year's Gen. Howard Award winner for BC is a band cadet among other responsibilities within his Corps as were a lot of Strathcona and Legion Medal recipients this year. 

How true. You can't put it any other way. Every company excels in something, (Alpha-Drill, Bravo-Field Craft, Charlie- Air Tech, etc.) no matter who is at camp, there will be rivalry between the companies. (ie J-coy vs. K-coy). There will also be trash talking. Nobody is better overall than another, everybody has at LEAST one weakness. So although people think that band is slack, you go and stand on bat. parade holding a drum/quint/quad/any musical instrument... Then play it properly. Once you have done this, then come and talk to me. It doesn't seem right that course cadet go around trashing our good name, when we play music for them in the morning. I think they should be a bit more grateful to the CLI's considering they're the ones busting their butts to learn new songs and perfect the old ones. Just a rant, please reply as I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Band? Lazy...

Well well well..

I remember strapping on a Snare Drum at 13 / 14 and walking god knows how many Km's in numerous parades in Halifax , in 30+ weather... in full uniform. We'd walk which seemed like.. forever! Sorry , scratch that , we MARCHED. And can you imagine those POOR Tuba players!  Yikes.

Bandies put in alot of hard work and extra hourse. 2-3 hours or more every week just in practise. And when it becomes annual time... Ugh , ALOT of work. Especially from the Admin side of things , alot of people to get organized.

We were ALWAYS the first out on the parade square , and we usually always got Top Senior ( our drill was always top notch , like every Senior Band was like at summer camp ). It not only takes physical endurance.. but it takes an intelligent person to sit down and figure out music , believe it or not most people CANT read music.

So next time you hear someone making fun of the band , let 'em know just exactly how hard these guys work!!

JESSO

Agreed.
The band has to learn to read, play and understand music on top of all the regular cadet training.
I know I spend 3 nights a week with cadets doing band and reguar training. Its hard work.

I did CL && CLI Band At Blackdown In 2005 && 2006

Having been on both sides of the fence, (Started out as a piper, then took other courses later)
I believe the band is an incredibly hard working part of the training batallion. However, many of them know this, and can *sometimes* get a big head about it.

One case in point, my course staff in Basic (P&D Vernon 2001) was adamant that we should not have to participate in PT, as we did 'additional martching' both in daily training, and because our classrooms were all the way across the sports field.

At the time, I was happy with this, as I was not in the peak of fitness. Looking back though... We could have used the morning PT more then once a week.

Back