• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bad Teeth and Enrolment Medical

chrism

Inactive
Reaction score
A bit about me: 20 years old, 6'2" @ 150lbs., can do 50 push ups / sit ups, want to apply for AVN Tech or Infantry, but I have the worst teeth that probably ANY of you have ever seen on someone my age. I am missing 5 complete teeth from the top (left front tooth and over towards left molars, from left: 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) and another 5 are broken at least in half (from left: 1, 8, 10, 11, 14). Also one missing on the bottom (from left: #2), one broken in half (from left: #1), and have massive cavities in eight others. The story of how they got to this point is a long and unnecessary one, so I won't go into that. I have only recently started to treat the cavities. I cannot afford the dentistry required, and won't be able to for some time to come (around $10 000 of work to be done!!); every job I've ever had (that offers benefits) has let me go ALWAYS on the exact day I'd get my benefits, and for no official reason at all, like, "Oh we just don't require your services anymore." (They say that while they're still hiring 30 people a month. :mad: )

Do I have a chance of getting through my medical with this problem? Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris M

By checking the "stickied" thread, Enrollment Medical Standards, I found the link to the CFP 154 - Medical Standards which states (in part):

2. The review and evaluation of each member's dental health status must describe if there are any limitations which will adversely affect operational capability and / or preclude the member's ability to perform and function safely and efficiently in the military environment. Any case in which restrictions for recruit applicants are being considered due to dental conditions should be assessed by a dental officer (DO).

3. As a general guideline, the minimum dental standard for enrolment in the CF is considered to be a complement of natural or artificial teeth in sufficient number and occlusal relationship to allow for adequate mastication and communication functions.

4. The partial absence of natural teeth and/or the carious and other defective conditions of those remaining which are within the scope of treatment of the average military dental facility will normally constitute acceptable dental fitness for enrolment in the CF.

5. The following conditions may result in rejection of an applicant or deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

an unrepaired cleft lip and/or palate;
acute or chronic temporomandibular joint dysfunction and severe limitations of jaw opening which require immediate treatment and/or continual follow-up treatment;
a malignant lesion that requires long term therapy; and
abnormal maxillofacial skeletal relationship which compromises functional ability and interferes with the ability to perform military duties, for example the inability to wear a respirator or retain a diving regulator.
6. The following conditions will result in deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

edentulous with no satisfactory denture replacement;
any pathological lesion or condition which could be exacerbated while on normal military duty; and
the active phase of orthodontic treatment, if such treatment is required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition. If orthodontic treatment is not required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition, enrolment may proceed if the applicant signs the Statement of Understanding on orthodontic treatment which is found in the Recruiter's Handbook, Annex D to Chapter 2.

Now, I'm not dental, so I'm not sure what is acceptable, but I think you'll find paragraph 4 may apply.

Try using the search function next time, or at least reading around.  :nod:

Back