• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

bad runner

FNG

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey....I've smoked for 10 yrs but quite as soon as i sighned up........I can do tons of push-ups and tons of sit-ups but afrter running a bit my hart feels like it's gonna blow....so i slow down a bit and jump back into it.....i practice every day seeing how they'll be calling me in soon....am i goin to bring ppl down on me for bad running even though i'm giving my all and not slacking.......or will ppl see that i'm giving everything i got and and work with it?

FNG,
There is a world of difference between muscular endurance, (doing push ups, chin ups) and cardio vascular endurance, (Oxygen exchange with the blood).

If you  are a poor runner, "you will be bringing people down on you". I would suggest setting a fitness goal of being able to run a mile in 8 minutes prior to reporting to the Recruit School.

Congrats on giving up the killer weed. Good Luck!  :salute:

FNG said:
Hey....I've smoked for 10 yrs but quite as soon as i sighned up........I can do tons of push-ups and tons of sit-ups but afrter running a bit my hart feels like it's gonna blow....so i slow down a bit and jump back into it.....i practice every day seeing how they'll be calling me in soon....am i goin to bring ppl down on me for bad running even though i'm giving my all and not slacking.......or will ppl see that i'm giving everything i got and and work with it?

Well, your insructors will come down on you for a lot of things, one of them will likely be for your fitness. Not to worry though, you will not be alone. One part of their job is to be 'on you' about everything. That's part of being a recruit instructor.

As far as your fellow recruits? Well, give it your all and if that is noticed, you should be ok. Of course, if the Platoon is getting remedial PT because a couple of people are falling out of runs (you), then they will not be happy, but they should understand. If you don't give it your all, and the Platoon gets remedial (extra) PT (usually on their 'off time'), you will probably be told by your buddies in no uncertain terms what will happen to you if you don't pick it up.

Keep training and running and try not to worry about it too much.

Good luck.

Just wondering how the 2.4 km run works....If you fail when you get there do they send you home or do you have the entire time to build up to it?..........I know your thinking god damn chill out and just do it.....But i wouldn't have started this thread if i wasn't concerned.....Passing the pt was a joke but there was no running involved.....the last thing i want to happen is to get to st jean and be sent home just like that.....so how many times a day should i go running and how long of a break should i take in between......appretiate the help!

you have, of course, read the many and various threads on the subject of running before asking this question, right?

honestly no.....though it would have wise........just alittle stressed and not thinking clearly...lol....sorry!

go to the Training Forum. Read. Put reading into practice. Come back with problems, if any.

FNG said:
Just wondering how the 2.4 km run works....If you fail when you get there do they send you home or do you have the entire time to build up to it?..........

im gonna say this because i cant believe no one else has, if it takes you the entire Bmq course to build up to 2.4 km .... i pray to god you have some very relaxed and lazy instructors who dont like to run alot.

I'll be going to BMQ being able to do the 2.4 on my bad days... .probably 3 on my good days. I'm defiantely hoping when I finish that I can do about 5km.

My advice, and I just got back from bmq in August, is to be able to run at least 5 km minimum before you go to bmq. That 2.4 is a minimum. They run a lot - uphill, on pavement, grass, to the rec centre, the field, on sandhills and all over the place. Be able to keep up from the get-go.

IMHO you should be running at least 3 x week, and be able to run for 30 - 45 minutes straight without collapsing. If you can do that, then you've got nothing to worry about as far as running is concerned. The classes are 40 minutes long and it's not unreasonable to be running for 30 minutes of that. Oh, and then there are the times when you get back-to-back pt periods...oh yeah.

FNG said:
Hey; I've smoked for 10 years, but I quit as soon as I signed up. I can do tons of push-ups, and tons of sit-ups, but after running a bit, my heart feels like it's gonna blow. So I slowed down a bit and jumped back into it. I practice every day, seeing how they'll be calling me in soon. Will I bring people down, for bad running? Even though I'm giving it my all, and not slacking? Will People see that I'm giving everything I have, and work with me?
I'll trade your running ability, for my poor push-up performance.  ;) We all have our crosses to bare, and with practice, you can do it.

*oh; and I edited your post a little.

Hey guys if anyone runs on a treadmill here, other then me, ill give you a good tip, take a towel, fold it in half so its not that long, and throw it over the display board, it covers the speed, time and distance you have gone until you give you. I did this and i ran about 3 times more distance then i have before because i wasnt thinking about it at all.

The Cornwallis Recruit School standard was 12:30 for 1.5 miles.  You should use it as a goal prior to commencing basic training.  Most units aim for 5 km at a  25-35 minute pace.  The main way to improve your running is to run often.  Get some excellent footwear and a good route.  The treadmill is great for the winter but it is hard to get a section, platoon or company on them all at once.

Sorry if this has been posted before but I thought it would be relevant to ask in this forum. When we're running at basic does everyone run at their own pace or do we run in ranks? I've been running by myself now for the last two months and I've gotten a pretty fast paced jog down. I'm just wondering if the stronger runners will be able to move ahead of the pack or if we are required to stay in our ranks. I have no problem if thats the case I'm just curious as to the way it is done. Thanks in advance. Cheers.  :salute:

:cdn:

For PT tests, you go at your own pace, but for daily PT you run as a group.

That's cool. So basically you're as fast as the slowest person. Thanks Mike. Cheers.  :salute:

Not exactly, usually the person who is leading the PT(either a section commander or the course officer) sets the pace.

Oh ok thats cool then. So if there is a weeker recruit who can't keep up with the platoon, what happens to him/ her? I'm guessing this is where teamwork comes into play. Or does the section commander or course officer slow down so that recruiter can keep up?  :salute:

"Hey guys if anyone runs on a treadmill here, other then me, ill give you a good tip, take a towel, fold it in half so its not that long, and throw it over the display board, it covers the speed, time and distance you have gone until you give you. I did this and i ran about 3 times more distance then i have before because i wasnt thinking about it at all."

Hey Jaxson, that's the same thing I do and it works like a charm.  On the treadmill the time and distance display can really play games with your head.  Cover it up with a towel and just go hard.  Treadmills are great for setting a constant pace and what not but I would also recommend alternating between the mill and running outside.

As per the original post.  If you are having problems with your running then just keep at it.  Run as much as you can.  Trust me, you will improve.  I started at 3-4 KM and I was bursting...now I do 8-10 KM with ease.  I know this sounds like bad advice but don't just go for the minimum 2.4 KM.  I think they will be expecting alot more than that at BMQ.  Of course you want to make sure you can do the 2.4 run on time but I would slowly start building upon that.  I would say that you make sure you can do 6-8 KM.  Just set yourself a schedule where you move up a notch every week or something.  It'll all work out in the end.

Back