• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aussie Army uniform reforms - phase 2

downunder

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi My  :2c: worth

The first phase of uniform reforms were accepted pretty well.  The OH&S and sun safety argument around the getting rid of the Corp berets was a crock of s--t.

Now Phase 2 is in the "consultation phase" from what I gather they want to ditch the lanyard, and sambrown, and get rid of winter mess kit and then get rid of the corp colour stripes on the pants.  Basically they are trying to save money! let's see the lanyard a one off expense less than $10.  The sambrown is a member's responsibility.  Mess kit is a public expense and then when they do make the changes the expense of the change over because the RSM ceremonial will want everyone to be uniform.  (take a page out of the Canadian book and have it be a member's responsibility of whatever version is current when the mbr buys it and they can wear it until they die.)  I doubt the red tabs will want to give up their red tabs.

:2c: worth - phase 3 may as well be tri-service approach after all we saved so much money and the RSM ceremonial  got an Order of Australia.  Why don't we put everyone in the same colour uniform, and get rid of the corps, you know to save money.  Seems to me that Canada did that and had to give the distinctive uniforms back after 20 years.

We Aussies tend to take on things that other defence forces have tried and failed PMKeys a case in point. 

my humble opinion

Couldn't agree more.

Losing the beret is embarrassing. We must be the only military in the world that has taken this approach. Anyone that has carried around a slouch knows just how annoying it can be.

Being an OR I didn't know about the Sam or the stripes, but it sucks. As for the lanyard, ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?! It is a piece of rope, how expensive can it be!?! This is beyond a joke. They are more than willing to spend billions on some helicopters that never flew but as for the average dig, put them in rags.

Don't even get me started on the millions they just spent on some 'new' packs.

Total shit.
We're being asked now if we've any suggestions on how to save money on the poly uniform. Its a pair of trousers and a short sleeve shirt! We must have the cheapest dress uniform in the western world and they want to save more money on it?
How about a nice issued pair of jeans and a T-shirt of your own choice?
Or the Army could do the right thing and spend some money on our dress uniform so we dont look like a bunch of cheap bastards when we're on parade. Give the RAAC a RAAC combat badge, give us a dress jacket for winter, give us a uniform that looks good and will instil a little more pride into blokes!
A generic, cheap dress uniform is a bullshit idea and one that I dont want anything to do with.

Back