• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attempting to identify a WWII medal

herseyjh

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all, and thanks for the help in advance.

What I am trying to do is identify this medal from WWII.  It is my understanding that is was issued to a sailor who served with the merchant marine.  Initially, I thought it might be a Victory Medal; however, from my research the ribbon seems wrong.  Also, the WWII victory medal typically has 'VICTORY WAR II' across the front.  I don't have a picture of the back so I am unsure if there are any identifying marks there.  I will try to get a picture of that and follow up with a post.

herseyjh said:
Initially, I thought it might be a Victory Medal; however, from my research the ribbon seems wrong.  Also, the WWII victory medal typically has 'VICTORY WAR II' across the front.  I don't have a picture of the back so I am unsure if there are any identifying marks there.

WWI Commonwealth Victory Medal as per the Rogue.  The ribbon is absolutely correct.  The Americans and others issued a similar medal.  There was no Commonwealth WWII Victory Medal.  What you describe sounds American.

Back