• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army doctrine and its Implementation

Let me simply say that I value light infantry highly. But only when it has a clear purpose and is organized and equipped for the role. I actually think Canada has a great need for real IBCTs. It could form a RegF IBCT and two Mechanized BCTs right now if RegF regimental politics and the managed readiness system didn't stand in its way. It could also form several real ResF IBCTs and combat support and combat service support brigades if it didn't let the antiquated ResF structure stand in its way and if it learned to better blur the line between the RegF and the ResF.
Is there a point in having a Light Brigade if you don't have the strategic lift to be able to fairly rapidly deploy it and sustain it? If your transport/logistics constraints mean that you're realistically looking at a Battle Group sized capability then maybe CSOR is the better option and the Regular Army can focus on three symmetrical Mech Brigades?

Or Canada needs to admit that its military interests are better served by a larger RCAF, both fighters and strat / tac lift, and a larger RCN (as a three ocean nation), and therefore downsize the Reg F Army to invest in the other two services.

And the ranks continue to grow!

mr burns GIF

Is there a point in having a Light Brigade if you don't have the strategic lift to be able to fairly rapidly deploy it and sustain it? If your transport/logistics constraints mean that you're realistically looking at a Battle Group sized capability then maybe CSOR is the better option and the Regular Army can focus on three symmetrical Mech Brigades?
Canada does actually have the ability to do that with a Light Bde.
It doesn’t for medium or heavier forces.

So maybe kill the idea of CMBG’s ;)

The Active Army has 31 BCTs of which only 14 are IBCTs.
14/31 = 45% Light

By comparison Canada's RegF has 1/3 of its infantry in our 3 "BCT's" as light
1/3 = 33% Light

of the 27 ARNG BCTs, 20 are pure leg IBCTs. The ARNG IBCTs are oriented and equipped to be an economy of cost force in peacetime, to provide domestic support and to add mass in a wide variety of roles in wartime.
20/27 = 74% Light

They will adopt five types of divisions: Armor Divisions (Reinforced); Armor Divisions, Airborne Divisions, Air Assault Divisions and Light/Motorized Divisions.

What is old is new again! Divisions will have layered cavalry and we see the return of the Div Cav. The battlefield framework sees a Division with an 18 to 25 km frontage and 25 km forward and back of the FEBA.

III Corps
2x Heavy - Armor (Reinforced) Divs - Reg
2x Heavy - Armor Divs - Reg

XVIII Corps
1x Heavy - Armor Div - Reg
3x Light - Airborne/Air Aslt/Lt(Mtn) Divs - Reg

I Corps
1x Light - Stryker Div - Reg
2x Light - Lt/Airborne (Arctic) Divs - Reg

V Corps
0x Divs - Reg

ARNG
7x Heavy - BCTs
20x Light - BCTs

5 global theaters

3 Corps

5 Armor Divs - 25 km x 25 km makes for 5 very small postage stamps
7 Reserve Armor BCTs - to replenish the 5 Armor Divs

6 Infantry Divs (Abn/AAslt/Mtn/Arctic/Motorized/Stryker)
20 Reserve Infantry BCTs - to replenish, support and cover the Army

US Heavies.jpg

US Heavies Eurasia.jpg

Its gonna be a sair fecht with only 5 Heavy Divisions.

And we actually do have sufficient lift to move tanks and LAVs into theater behind the Light Brigade. It would just take some time.

And we might want to have a strong GBAD element with the Light Brigade to secure the point of debarkation.

The Americans are going to need help filling in the spaces between their Heavy Divisions.

Canada does actually have the ability to do that with a Light Bde.
It doesn’t for medium or heavier forces.

So maybe kill the idea of CMBG’s ;)
I agree with Kevin on the lift being adequate for a light brigade.

With 5 C-17 @100+ each and 17 C-130J at 64-94 each there's enough for three battalions at our current manning levels. Add in the other 12 C-130s used for search and rescue and refueling and you can do more.

Sure that ignores the basic serviceability numbers etc etc but depending on what type of operation it is and whether you are just ferrying people and equipment or doing a para insertion, and whether or not you use chartered air for people and the military lift for equipment, you have a pretty decent ability. And yes, I know, Göring promised Hitler he could maintain Stalingrad by air ...

What's really important is you have the command and control and logistics structure in place to allow for the planning and staging of light infantry operations at scale. Under our current system you would once again have to cobble together an ad hoc organization if you want to employ anything above one battalion. For that matter you don't have the planning or logistics staff to properly project even one of the light battalions without ad hocing.

🍻

What's really important is you have the command and control and logistics structure in place to allow for the planning and staging of light operations at scale. Under our current system you would once again have to cobble together an ad hoc organization if you want to employ anything above one battalion. For that matter you don't have the planning or logistics staff to properly project even one of the light battalions without ad hocing.

🍻

This is the CAF my good man. If its not dress related or about the combat arms we simply disregard it.

Logistics is just voodoo magic anyways.

This is the CAF my good man. If its not dress related or about the combat arms we simply disregard it.

Logistics is just voodoo magic anyways.
You can have your light system, logistics and all and still play with buttons and bows. Once again, and risking being redundant, I offer you Spain's light forces:

spanish-legionnaire-parade-to-mark-the-spanish-armed-forces-news-photo-1584994773.jpg

gcp-uniform-legion.jpg

:giggle:

The problems come when you adopt a "Can't Do" attitude and immediately reject every progressive idea with a dozen hastily jacked-up reasons for maintaining the status quo.

🍻

Last edited:

Logistics Combat Support/CSS is just voodoo magic anyways.
FTFY.

I find part of this mentality rests largely in how often CS/CSS is just a given during courses like ATOC and AOC. We have had to remind folks at my unit that the 4 and 6 need to be brought in during the OPP, not after. We become a limiting factor to any plan if we cannot support the intent.

FTFY.

I find part of this mentality rests largely in how often CS/CSS is just a given during courses like ATOC and AOC. We have had to remind folks at my unit that the 4 and 6 need to be brought in during the OPP, not after. We become a limiting factor to any plan if we cannot support the intent.
Not if you just wish it away ;)

Slow down, you're moving too fast!

The Ukrainians are being instructed to pick their shots - that seemed to me to be relevant to this discussion about doctrine.

Ukraine needs to learn ‘Western way’ of fighting, says Ben Wallace​

Defence Secretary calls on Kyiv to use weapons more sparingly as concerns grow about dwindling munitions stocks

ByDominic Nicholls, ASSOCIATE EDITOR and Maighna Nanu15 February 2023 • 7:28pm

Ben Wallace in a moment of mirth with Guido Crosetto, the Italian defence minister, at the Nato meeting CREDIT: Reuters/Johanna Geron
Ukraine must be trained in the “Western way” of ammunition usage in order to conserve dwindling stocks, the Defence Secretary has said.
Ben Wallace warned that Kyiv’s troops could run out of ammunition unless they used them more sparingly or employed precision munitions.
He spoke at the Nato headquarters in Brussels as defence ministers from the 30-nation alliance met to discuss how best to help Ukraine repel Vladimir Putin’s illegal invasion, which will shortly enter its second year.
Mr Wallace said: “The Russian, or the Soviet, way of fighting is very ammunition heavy [with] massive artillery barrages. That’s never how we have organised ourselves to fight in the West and in Nato.
“Ukraine uses huge amounts of ammunition to defend itself, partly that’s why we’re training them to fight in a Western way.
“If they can be very accurate in their use of artillery instead of having to use hundreds of shells to pin down a Russian unit, they can only use two or three because they can see exactly where the shot falls.”
He told Times Radio: “So if we can do both, we can make sure that they are much more effective on the ground. And at the same time, we can make sure that we address our own shortfalls at home.”

Concerns grew that Kyiv’s troops could run out of ammunition unless they used them more evenly CREDIT: Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP via Getty Images
Ukraine’s armed forces are thought to be firing about 6,000 artillery rounds a day, faster than the West can resupply them, and around a third of the scale being used by Russia.
Lloyd Austin, the US defence secretary, said that several Western nations were pressing to train Ukraine in tactics that would reduce its reliance on artillery shells.

Bastian Giegerich, the director of defence and military analysis at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, said that European nations currently have the capacity to produce about 300,000 heavy artillery rounds of 155mm calibre a year.
“Most industry sources think they could ramp up relatively quickly [this year] by about 50 per cent,” he told The Telegraph.
However, he cautioned “anything beyond that will take longer”, meaning Ukraine needs supplies of ammunition from outside Europe and to transition onto more accurate munitions such as the Excalibur GPS-guided artillery round, in order to repel Moscow’s troops.
Ukraine’s state arms producer said that it had launched joint production of artillery shells with a central European Nato member, but refused to identify the country, adding that it plans to develop and produce other arms and military hardware with allies.
Ukroboronprom said it began producing 120mm mortar rounds, ammunition that is in high demand for the war effort.

Ukrainian troops made use of this French 120mm rifled-towed mortar on the front line on Wednesday CREDIT: Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP via Getty Images
Natalia Sad, the company’s spokesman, said: “The emergence of this shell is the first product of our joint co-operation with a country from the [NATO] alliance. It will not end with shells. We will soon show you other products produced with partner countries.”
Ms Sad added that companies were working around the clock to produce ammunition and keep supplies flowing, and that Ukroboronprom increased production on different types of military equipment by five to eight times last year compared with 2021.
Meanwhile, Mr Wallace said that vital military supplies would soon be sent from the International Fund for Ukraine (IFU), a pool of funding to finance lethal and non-lethal equipment and training, direct from industry.
The first package from the IFU, valued at roughly £200 million with funds drawn from the UK, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, will include artillery ammunition, tank spares, drones and electronic warfare and air defence systems.
The Defence Secretary said that the equipment package “will provide a significant capability boost for the Armed Forces of Ukraine and will support their ability to defend their country”.
He added: “The UK-led International Fund for Ukraine demonstrates the commitment of the UK and our Allies to ensure Ukraine receives vital military aid necessary to defend against Russia’s illegal invasion.”
On Tuesday, Germany said it would reopen production lines for 35mm ammunition used by its Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft guns, 32 of which have been sent by Berlin, out of a promised 37.

Olaf Scholz, the German chancellor, next to one of his country’s Gepard anti-aircraft guns CREDIT: Morris MacMatzen/Getty Images
Although an old system designed for the Cold War, the German Gepards have shown they are excellent at shooting down the low and slow-flying Iranian-made Shahed 136 drones, used by Russia to attack Ukraine’s power plants and other national infrastructure.
For months, Germany has lobbied Switzerland to approve exports to Ukraine of stockpiles of Gepard ammunition, which was manufactured there by a subsidiary of Rheinmetall, the German defence company.
Boris Pistorius, Germany’s defence minister, said that with the new contracts “we will now start our own production of Gepard ammunition at Rheinmetall without delay”.
“The negotiations with Switzerland took time,” he said. “In the end, we were of the opinion that it is better to go our own way faster so as not to be dependent on them.”
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “We continue to place orders to replace ammunition given to Ukraine and have an extra £560 million from the Treasury to increase stockpiles.”
Also on Wednesday, Russia claimed it had broken through two fortified Ukrainian defence lines on the eastern front near Luhansk, although no details were given and the claims could not be independently verified.

FTFY.

5 AB BDE used to run a logistics focused exercise called EX FAST BUZZARD - nicknamed 'Fat Bastard' by the troops of course.

It was all about exercising the Brigades logistics elements, and was a real ball buster for all the support trades.

The troops? They just lay around pretending to be casualties and other soft cargo in vehicles and aircraft, or getting fed and taking showers on a regular basis. Hence the 'Fat' moniker ;)

It was always a real eye opener as to how much effort it took to sustain a full Airborne formation, and I think they used the results to update all their planning tables etc.

Two of the PFA lads waiting for 'stiffs', I assume, at RAF Lyneham....

Back