• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Cadet Radio's for FTX's

david124124

Inactive
Reaction score
What I've noticed over the three years of Army cadets I've had, is that slowly more corps. are switching to the GMRS (2way) civi radios that you can pick up at any Canadian Tire.I would be able to see from the supply's point of view that their ALOT cheaper to buy,maintain and have batteries(AA's) for instead of the PRC-25 (The Radio you carry on your back)that's from the mid 60's.They may be aging,but when you start taking away every thing Army,and with history,all you have is scouts.Every time I saw one of those on a cadets back, not only did i think they were cool,but i noticed radio procedure was taken much more seriously,it was the image they had,the image of army.
Has every corps. for their FTX's, switched to the Trusty and economicaly smart Motorola,and done away with the historical and robust PRC-25's?

I agree...I believe that old army kit (combats, webbings and AN-PRC 25) should be handed over to cadets. First, it would help to prevent army stuff to end in civilian hands that wear/desrtoy it...

I'd rather use a military oriented object than something everyone else can use...army cadets is supposed to have an army tint to its training, so you use what  at least what an army has or is currently using.If corps. numbers start to drop its because of everything is becoming generalized, and easy.

A few years back, i contacted a Cadet supply org in Edmonton, asking them if they wanted the last of our 77 set batteries.  There was little interest shown.  If the decade-plus 6 billion dollar-plus TCCCS program managed to unfold and remove the 77 set from Cadet service without any of the superannuated has-beens even noticing, then we have a bigger problem than appears.  Some adults on the Cadet movement side should have seen this coming YEARS ago.

Tom

I don't see it like that. If the army hands us down their old worn down gear, that's all it is, worn down gear. I'd much rather carry a new Motorolla that I can slip into my pocket, it's just more practical. I don't see little things like that taking away from the "army image" of cadets. If they took away big things, like the survival training, sleeping in hooches, or training with our affiliated unit, then I would agree that we're losing the image, but a radio...  ::)

I agree.

My post was oriented towards those who bemoan the fact that Cadets did not automatically inherit the 77s (a better radio in most respects than that which replaced it in the man-pack roll).

Tom

I don't know about you guys but when we go on FTX, say to Connaught we head into the supply and they issue us with Motorola's. The reason being I suppose is that if ever we ran into serious trouble we would be able to contact Range control without having to worry about the reliability of the old 77's. Battery replacement, maintenance etc... its a radio, last time I checked scouts don't even use radio's. :p

My 2 cents
UBIQUE!!!

1) No more references to cubs, scouts, girlguides, etc.

In my opinion all it adds is something more for someone to carry, but as someone said it may be taken more seriously by the cadets.  I don't see why the type of radio they carry should affect the way its taken.  Oh well, its cadets.

Well cadets seems to becoming more able to suit the people who join instead of challenging them.
its getting out of hand.  My corps has pics from back in the day when they went on FTXs with rifles and radios and when combats were a mandatory dress for an FTX, and no matter how cold it was you would still sleep in a an arctic tent or a hooch.  i feel that there is more to be learned that way than there is now. 

Personal opinion though

I love the small black radios, and they clip onto my gear perfectly, I never minded the big old ones but they can get annoying esp when climbing cliffs and hills.  And my squadron always sleeps outside in houches or artic tents for the senior cadets at least, I always made sure of that.  Very rarely did cadets sleep in cabins at all. 

I've always had a little hope that maybe the army had their 77 sets stashed away somewhere for an eventual triumphant return, to at least replace the 522 man packs, they'd be much simpler for any non-secure man-pack roles...

As to use by cadets, a rather silly idea, much more expensive to maintain and use then motorala radios.

Several years ago, my cadet corps ran a radio procedure weekend using our AN/PRC 25 sets.   We set up a wargame, loosely based on the World War II operations around the Scheldt   We gave senior cadets "command" of various forces at different levels and assigned a radio operator to them.   We created a simple net to handle the radio traffic and orders for both sides and spent the entire weekend going through the wargame.   A hand-held FRS radio would work very well for this sort of scenario provided that people realized that radio procedure was important and needed to be taken seriously.

At the end of the exercise all participants had   learned a great deal about communications. The overall commanders were kept isolated from the actual board and relied completely on the reports and orders transmitted by radio to make their decisions.   At break, they were permitted to examine the board to see what was actually going on.   Funny how what had happened differed from the radio reports!   It was a great training tool and I commend it to anyone looking for a good radio exercise.   It really sharpened the voice procedure.

Something else to consider is to get some training from local amateur radio operators and get cadets certified as amateur basic or even advanced.   A good ticket and a valuable skill.  

(modified to correct typos)

I have to agree, the new radios are far better then the old ones. If your afraid of losing the "Army Image" just paint em olive drab  :dontpanic:

I always wanted to take my amature radio license, I actually know some people up in Que that took it.  It is one of those things I still mean to do, but alot of kids out there don't have the interest or patience to study for an exam like that.  I was thinking about bringing it into my squadron but there wasn't enough interest. 

Gubb

Gubb said:
    I always wanted to take my amature radio license, I actually know some people up in Que that took it.   It is one of those things I still mean to do, but alot of kids out there don't have the interest or patience to study for an exam like that.   I was thinking about bringing it into my squadron but there wasn't enough interest.  

Gubb
to dad, beacuse your idea is good...

I think radios should only be given to cadets with radio procedure training.  A few months ago some of my cadets did a security patrol for a market.  They were given civi radios but would yell into them "you over there you YOU!"  ::)  I think they should put the ARMY back in army cadets, but I can see the logistical advantages to using civi radios, but whether its a civi radio or surplus, they should be given to kids with the proper training on the use of whichever radio you use, just as long as its not those new cell phone walkie talkies, those are just annoying  ;D

the words "Cadets" and "radio" caught my eye.

A few weeks ago, I issued out 12 radios, complete, and 2 masts, complete, with all EIS to the local Cadet corps for their exercise. We were approached by their staff, and we complied happily. You wanna play with Army stuff, get your staff to talk to the Army guys. We always try to help out.

Paracowboy is 100% right, we often ask the local unit for the equipment and they have been more than happy to assist, and often provide instructors as well so the cadets get taught by people who have used the kit and Radio procedure in an operational environment.  Its all relationship building between the CIC staff and the affiliated unit.

Back when I was in cadets, we  were training in th BW armoury and cadtes over 14 could be trained on C7 and even peopole over 17 coud fire c9, plus our falg party always had C7 with bayonets

paracowboy, are there any special admin requirements to signing it out because of the crypto?

also, radio procedure is radio procedure, whether it's a Motorolla or PRC. It just has to be taught and enforced.

LFCA bought 10 motorollas for each PRes unit in the province, for admin tasks, so it's not just Cadets who use them  ;D 

Back