• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armouries Hit Halifax NS

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Halifax Armouries was hit this morning by war protestors. They left signs and wrote on things about "Leave Haiti" this happen around 8 this morning. Also the Sherman tank has paint all over it from the protestors.

Wait Out More to Follow.

No comment. Going down to take a look tonight at work.

Now this is sad its one thing to have an opinion but its another to damage some one else property. I hope that they can catch who ever did it

I had a letter published in the local paper when they painted over our Universal Carrier monument in 2001 or so - to protest the US war in Iraq.  ::) It's simple ignorance, but I think your local papers could be convinced to publish a letter or article in which it is explained to these buffoons that desecrating the memory of those that served before (I take it the Sherman is a monument) does nothing to change government opinion and in fact only serves to hurt people no longer serving in the military.

TN2IC said:
Halifax Armouries was hit this morning by war protestors. They left signs and wrote on things about "Leave Haiti" this happen around 8 this morning. Also the Sherman tank has paint all over it from the protestors.

Wait Out More to Follow.

I only found out today about it, The BOR staff only found about the Tank and the why are Canadians killing Afghans today....

TN2IC said:

Wait Out More to Follow.

Good to know that they got thier facts right  ;D according to http://www.forces.gc.ca/ we don't even have troops in Haiti. Maybe you should call 45 and get them to set up some obstalces for the protestors  ;D  ;)

Time to ask troops for a callout:

Halifax NS
High Rank: WO
Low Rank : Pte
Security  : Basic Reliability

24/7 OP on the Halifax Armories. Anyone observed defacing DND property will be beaten ruthlessly with kendo sticks.

Nfld_Sapper said:
Good to know that they got their facts right  ;D according to http://www.forces.gc.ca/ we don't even have troops in Haiti. Maybe you should call 45 and get them to set up some obstalc es for the protesters  ;D  ;)
[/quote
                Razer Wire ! ,G/L
                                             I think there's 3 or 4 Cnd Officer's in Haiti !
                       There's No need! ,to Desecrate a monument. !

P.S- Spell Checked your post, you sould do the same

bilton090 said:
Nfld_Sapper said:
Good to know that they got their facts right  ;D according to http://www.forces.gc.ca/ we don't even have troops in Haiti. Maybe you should call 45 and get them to set up some obstalc es for the protesters  ;D  ;)
                Razor Wire ! ,G/L

P.S- Spell Checked your post, you should do the same

BTW I did, spell check didn't pick up on anything but I did fix your spelling.

Michael Dorosh said:
I had a letter published in the local paper when they painted over our Universal Carrier monument in 2001 or so - to protest the US war in Iraq.  ::) It's simple ignorance, but I think your local papers could be convinced to publish a letter or article in which it is explained to these buffoons that desecrating the memory of those that served before (I take it the Sherman is a monument) does nothing to change government opinion and in fact only serves to hurt people no longer serving in the military.

Things like this are really a sad commentary of some of our society.  It is even worse when they deface the National War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  In most cases our vehicle monuments can be painted over quite easily, but to take the paints and solvents used out of the stone monuments takes some expertise.  I believe the defacing of the Peacekeeper Memorial, that was done years ago, is still visible.  These people really are 'works of art'.  According to the old ways of an eye for an eye, perhaps we should spray paint them too.  Forget the mace; a high luster fluorescent yellow would be apropos, wouldn't you think? ;D

George Wallace said:
How did the two of you miss "3 or 4 Cnd Cdn Officer's" ?

Too many alcoholic beverages today George.  :cheers:

Mack674 said:
Time to ask troops for a callout:

Halifax NS
High Rank: WO
Low Rank : Pte
Security   : Basic Reliability

24/7 OP on the Halifax Armories. Anyone observed defacing DND property will be beaten ruthlessly with kendo sticks.
                    Well said !, oo!  @##%@ was that my outdoor voice ! CRAP !

Nfld_Sapper said:
                Razor Wire ! ,G/L

P.S- Spell Checked your post, you should do the same

BTW I did, spell check didn't pick up on anything but I did fix your spelling.
  TKS ! LET us know , about the crap there !

George Wallace said:
Things like this are really a sad commentary of some of our society.  It is even worse when they deface the National War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  In most cases our vehicle monuments can be painted over quite easily, but to take the paints and solvents used out of the stone monuments takes some expertise.  I believe the defacing of the Peacekeeper Memorial, that was done years ago, is still visible.  These people really are 'works of art'.  According to the old ways of an eye for an eye, perhaps we should spray paint them too.  Forget the mace; a high luster fluorescent yellow would be apropos, wouldn't you think? ;D
                    George is there a way that these people can be made to pay for there protest's, I know this a free contry, but if we spray painted there places of work, home's, cemetery's, worship hall's & total disregard for outher people's propriety, & just walk away as not a thing happened ! That's not right, stand up for what you be live in, But pay the price if you are wrong !

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do.  Unless they are caught in the act and arrested, taken to Court and either jailed or fined, they usually get away with it.

Michael Dorosh said:
             Wasn't the Vets. Cem. gust hit, w/ the head stones kicked over in Halifax, & out west
      But even so ! they just get a , Don't do that again slap !

I can't say whether or not my letter was responsible, but after it was printed, the Carrier and our Sherman/Bailey Bridge have not been visibly vandalized again. As I said, sheer ignorance is obviously at play here. 

I did note a couple weeks ago, however, that while on the roof of the armouries during the rapelling practice, that someone had vandalized the top of the Sherman's turret - not normally visible to anyone. At least they didn't desecrate the sides again - it's been okay since 2001 or so.

Given a choice of fantasizing about beating up the persons responsible, and getting the word out via public means that vandalizing memorials hurts the families more than the soldiers, I'd say the latter is more likely to be effective.

bilton090 said:
                     George is there a way that these people can be made to pay for there protest's, I know this a free contry, but if we spray painted there places of work, home's, cemetery's, worship hall's & total disregard for outher people's propriety, & just walk away as not a thing happened ! That's not right, stand up for what your    ( belief  is !, ) But pay the price if you are wrong !
Maybe we can start new post on this subject ! George ?

Back