• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armed drones: Should the Canadian military use the controversial weapons?

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Article Link

Armed drones: Should the Canadian military use the controversial weapons?

'There are multiple different uses for them — not just killing machines,' says professor Stephanie Carvin

Laura Wright

Canada's chief of defence staff announced this week that the Canadian military needs new drones and he wants those drones to be armed — an upgrade that doesn't come without its share of controversy.

Gen. Jonathan Vance's comments came on the heels of a U.S. air strike in Somalia over the weekend that killed 150 militants linked to al-Shabaab. The strike was partly carried out by unmanned drones.

But military use of armed drones is fraught with controversies, from the perceived ease at which drone operators pull the trigger, to the number of civilian deaths associated with drone strikes.

The benefits of using drones, however, are difficult to ignore — namely the fact drone operators don't run the risk of dying in a strike, as fighter-pilots do.

"It's high time that Canada bought that kind of a drone," says Elinor Sloan, an international relations professor at Carleton University. "Arming them simply provides options in a war zone."

As Canada gets set for a possible debate on the topic, here's a look at some of the pros and cons of using armed drones.

Cheaper, more efficient

The use of armed drones is just the next step in the increasing "stand-off character" of warfare, Sloan argues. Humans used to fight hand-to-hand and developed tools to get further and further away from close-up combat.

"Drones just put that effort still further away from direct human contact," she says. "But a human is still in charge and directly tethered to that platform."

Drones are safer for those operating them since pilots can be thousands of kilometres away from their targets, with no risk of physical injury.

And they're relatively cheap, says Stephanie Carvin, an assistant professor of international affairs, also at Carleton University. "There are multiple different uses for them — not just killing machines."

Drones can be better for warfare because of their precision; their surveillance capabilities allow them to follow a target for hours or days before deciding whether to strike.

This allows for what Jesse Kirkpatrick calls "tactical patience."

"It allows individuals to be operating in a cool remove that will allow them to maybe not engage in atrocities that some do after the stress of battle takes its toll on them," says Kirkpatrick, the assistant director of the Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy at Virginia's George Mason University.

Sloan and Carvin both say drone pilots often don't act alone — up to 25 people can be involved in a mission, including the U.S. president.

Despite drones' ability to be more effective, Kirkpatrick says that "cool remove" can be unsettling.

"You have someone who seems to be hunting individuals from 3,000 miles away and can patiently wait for them," he says. "I think that image bothers people."

Civilian casualties

Despite the benefits, some say there is a high civilian death toll associated with drone strikes. The problem is those numbers are incredibly difficult to verify.

"We just don't have good data," says Carvin. "Those reports are based on the U.S. program, and are based on reports from far-off areas that we don't have access to."

She adds that some of the reports only looked at a small number of drone strikes, which can skew the data. "They're deeply methodologically flawed."

Drone pilots are sometimes disparagingly called "chair pilots," as there is a perception that their distance from the scene of a strike allows them to more easily pull the trigger.

But Kirkpatrick says he found drone pilots suffer psychological trauma at a comparable rate to fighter pilots.

"That can lead us to speculatively conclude that it's not like playing a video game — the killing and the harm feels very real," he says.

Secrecy, myths

The public perception of the U.S. drone program in particular has not been helped by the fact it is shrouded in secrecy.

"One of the main issues is its lack of transparency, and there are significant issues for democratic oversight, participation and civilian control of the military," says Kirkpatrick. He adds this secrecy makes it very difficult to determine how many civilians are being harmed.

The U.S. government claims no civilians have been killed, but that's debatable based on who they define as a combatant.

"Observers say the only reason you can claim this is that the definition of what it means to be a combatant is way too broad," says Sarah Kreps, an associate professor of governance and law at Cornell University who has written two books about drones.

Whether the Canadian military eventually moves to using armed drones may be a debate that's missing the point; Carvin says it doesn't make a difference if the military kills people with F-18 fighter jets or with armed drones.

"[Drones] are a shiny object and we all get distracted because it's a new technology and that's understandable," she says. "But what we need to be asking is: 'What is the actual policy that we're using this for?'"

Canada should consider buying drones, she says, if they can potentially contribute to the country's future military missions — not just because everyone else has them.

---------------------------------------------------------

It would be a nice starting point for people to understand:

a.  drones and RPAs/UAVs/UASs are not the same;

b.  drones cannot have pilots and 'drones' [RPAs/UASs/UAVs] aren't always able to go out and play when their big brothers Fighters and MPAs are able to.  They are more scared of weather and storms and stuff.  They have their CAPS, and they have their LIMS.

c.  looking at stuff you see 'thru the straw' on a screen orbiting above a point/target/whatever or on a screen XXXX km's away thru a feed is likely not all that different.  Watching stuff on a screen is watching stuff on a screen.  It will take whatever toll it takes, regardless of if it's from a manned or unmanned platform. 

d.  not to discount the knowledge of professionals in their fields, the professors in the article, etc, but until they find themselves actual 'links of the chain' involved in targeting and striking, it is (IMO) hard for them to know what it actually feels like to be a link in that chain.  I can tell you how awesome the strawberry ice cream I had at supper was, but you won't really get it until you eat that ice cream yourself.  You might find it tastes horrible compared to what you imagined it would...never know until you take a bite.

"That can lead us to speculatively conclude that it's not like playing a video game — the killing and the harm feels very real," he says.

:2c: from a scope dope.

Article Link

Canada should buy drones that can strike as well as see, says Jonathan Vance

Defence chief says there's 'little point' having drones that can only watch

Tom Parry

Canada's top soldier says the Canadian Forces need new drones. And Gen. Jonathan Vance, the chief of the defence staff, wants those drones to be armed.

"We do need UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles)", Vance told a Senate committee Monday. "And I am of the view that we need armed UAVs."

Vance told senators that such drones would improve the military's ability to patrol and monitor Canadian territory as well as help in search and rescue efforts. The drones would also assist in operations overseas.

"If we are in operations against a force like ISIS, the surveillance piece is important but we also want to contribute to the strike," Vance said.

"In my view there's little point to having a UAV that can see a danger but can't strike it if it needs to."

Vance acknowledged drones are controversial and he anticipates a debate over how they should be used.

The U.S. has used drones to target militants in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places. The Pentagon confirmed this week it used unmanned aircraft to help carry out an airstrike in Somalia that targeted the al-Qaeda-linked group al-Shabaab. The attack reportedly killed 150 people.

The Canadian Forces deployed unarmed drones during the mission in Afghanistan with mixed results. The military has for years been looking at options for more modern UAVs through its Joint Unmanned Surveillance and Target Acquisition Project, known in military circles as JUSTAS.

Vance said the JUSTAS project remains active. "I am working on it," he assured senators. "I have increased the priority on this."

The general's spirited pitch for armed drones appears to strike a different tone than the one set by the Liberal government.

In their 2015 election platform, the Liberals pledged to make long-range surveillance UAVs one of their top equipment priorities. The platform, however, made no mention of arming them.

And while Vance used the fight against the so-called Islamic State as an example of a potential mission for armed UAVs, the government has ended the military's bombing mission against the militant group to focus instead on humanitarian assistance and training local forces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  If we need to 'find and then strike', why did we just pull out the only asset we had that could find and then strike?

2.  Why are we not making all of our ISR assets 'find/strike' assets?  The French are doing it...

French Navy ATL2 MPA Can Now Self Designate GBU-12 Laser-Guided Bombs With MX-20 System

First Air Strike with GBU-12 Against ISIL in Iraq for French Navy ATL2 Maritime Patrol Aircraft

3.  I see some 'left, right, left, left right' happening here.  Things do not seem in step to me...

Eye In The Sky said:
... 1.  If we need to 'find and then strike', why did we just pull out the only asset we had that could find and then strike? ...
Because politicians saying, "in this task, we'll stop using tool x" is different than the CDS saying, "it sure would be handy if Canada had tool y in the toolbelt"?

Eye In The Sky said:
... 3.  I see some 'left, right, left, left right' happening here.  Things do not seem in step to me...
Zacly!
Canada's defence minister says it's too early to say whether the Canadian Forces should be equipped with armed drones.

Harjit Sajjan was responding to comments made yesterday by the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Jonathan Vance.

Vance told a senate committee he believes Canada needs a new fleet of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAV's with the capacity to carry and fire weapons.

Sajjan is neither ruling out nor endorsing the general's proposal.

"General Vance was answering a question based on his experience," Sajjan said. "But this is a discussion that we'll have as part of the defence review." ...

milnews.ca said:
Because politicians saying, "in this task, we'll stop using tool x" is different than the CDS saying, "it sure would be handy if Canada had tool y in the toolbelt"?

Perhaps, but what I really noticed were these parts...

"If we are in operations against a force like ISIS, the surveillance piece is important but we also want to contribute to the strike," Vance said.

The Liberal government 'we' seems to saying quite the opposite, not just with words but with the removal of the CF-18s who were doing the only striking while leaving the ISR assets in place.

"In my view there's little point to having a UAV that can see a danger but can't strike it if it needs to."

Then what is the rationale to have the current ISR asset able to see but not strike?  It can be done, ref the links to the ATL 2s in my earlier post.  UAVs with ord on them can do strikes, sometimes you would need something quicker on it's feet, like a MPA or other manned ISR asset.  Can't say more than that without being sure I am not crossing a line or one sort or another, but I know there are times that is the case.

And while Vance used the fight against the so-called Islamic State as an example of a potential mission for armed UAVs, the government has ended the military's bombing mission against the militant group to focus instead on humanitarian assistance and training local forces.

but...

"If   we are in operations against a force like ISIS, the surveillance piece is important but we also want to contribute to the strike," Vance said.

Here is part of the 'left, right, left, left, right'; there is no "if".  Weare in operations against ISIS.

Eye In The Sky said:

Here is part of the 'left, right, left, left, right'; there is no "if".  Weare in operations against ISIS.
I believe that the CDS is setting parameters to pre-empt a counter-argument.  In saying  "...a force like  ISIS....", he's making it clear (to some) that such a capability is not JUST for this current operation; it will have utility in numerous other conflicts.  This way, the nay-sayers cannot argue that this is "just more money down the tube on a fool's errand; we should pull completely out now" -- as many are already saying.

Or his intention was simply slighting you personally.  :dunno:

Not me personally, I was thinking it leaned more to "I don't necessarily completely agree with the decision to stop striking ISIL.  What is the point of finding but not striking?"...but in a roundabout way. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Not me personally, I was thinking it leaned more to "I don't necessarily completely agree with the decision to stop striking ISIL.  What is the point of finding but not striking?"...but in a roundabout way.
That may be one way of looking at it, but unless there's a coup d'état*, elected "will haves" trump CDS/DM/bureaucrat "would likes" - even if I think some of the CDS's preferences may be better than some of the elected choices.

* - Not suggesting members of the CF would be disloyal in any way, just a rhetorical device.  ;D

I was wondering if I was 'misreading' or seeing it the wrong way.  Glad stuff like this confirms I'm just a dumb operator.  ;D

Slippery slope, first you use armed drones, then they want functioning artillery in the form of SPG's and MRLS's, then IFV to follow the tanks, and then mortars and ATGM's for the infantry, it's all so war like.......

Just tell Trudeau we can use the drones to drop parkas. Then we'll get what we need, instead of having to IOR everything like the last shooting match we got into.

It's not just UAVs - it's the backend data feeds, it's the limited satellite coverage in the north, it's the increased demand for analysts to review data... there's a lot of moving pieces needed to make an effective capability.

Eye In The Sky said:
I was wondering if I was 'misreading' or seeing it the wrong way.  Glad stuff like this confirms I'm just a dumb operator.  ;D
Not at all - I like hearing from others what they read into tea leaves, too, in case I'm missing something - which I often do.  ;D

dapaterson said:
It's not just UAVs - it's the backend data feeds, it's the limited satellite coverage in the north, it's the increased demand for analysts to review data... there's a lot of moving pieces needed to make an effective capability.

Don't forget about the ice.  Most don't have the capability to deal with icing.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Don't forget about the ice.  Most don't have the capability to deal with icing.

As with every other military purchase of equipment, we would most (highly) likely request hundreds of "Canadian" modifications to be made to the item (drone).    >:D

Call me cynical, but I think if the RCAF was to actually get a UAS, I think we'd see systems like:

this with the 'capability to carry weapons' [ much like the Aurora 'can carry SAMs on the wings...but doesn't... ]

CBWuKBlUUAAEoIg.jpg

before we'd ever see anything like this

predator-b-drone-mq-9-reaper.jpg

Why?  Too many people actually believe in Skynet...  ;D

I'd prefer armed drones over armed helicopters.

Fewer 'flight suit dandies' is always a good goal, right? :)

EITS, I have been a long-time believer that those hard points in the 140 should have something like SLAM-ER on them, to round out the SGOD's repertoire. :nod:

AUAVs and UCAVs would be more tools in the tool box.  We just have to make sure the cost of all the tools that go in the tool box are properly and fully identified, validated and assessed for affordability of all components (acquisition, in-service support and O&M).  Although gradually getting better (usually), we don't do that as well as we could/should.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

daftandbarmy said:
I'd prefer armed drones over armed helicopters.

Fewer 'flight suit dandies' is always a good goal, right? :)

>:D

Not really.  All you will have done is move those "flight suit dandies" out of armed helicopters and into "flight suit dandies" flying soft, ergonomic, five wheeled, office chairs with video screens and computers.  [:D

Controversial... only because the author says they are.

George Wallace said:
As with every other military purchase of equipment, we would most (highly) likely request hundreds of "Canadian" modifications to be made to the item (drone).    >:D

In which case it wouldn't work half as well as intended.

Back