• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you superstitious? It's Friday the 13th

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, it's Friday the 13th today.  wooooohoooo  very scary  ::)  :eek:
Just for fun.
Wondering how many of you out there are superstitious?  I know some are very and some not so much. what you'll do different today, or if you are superstitious about other things.
Here in Toronto I've heard of a few garages being closed. 
I myself think that I will do a few things a little differently, like, I will partake in a alcoholic beverages a little earlier than usual, just too make sure to keep the 'bad karma' away ;D  Besides that I have the weekend off, it's pay day and it is REALLY nice weather here!  What more could one ask for?
Have a GREAT Friday the 13th everyone ;)

Nope, I am not superstitious at all... Though I am kinda curious about that big guy in the white hockey goalie mask following me around now.  :eek:

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
I myself think that I will do a few things a little differently, like, I will partake in a alcoholic beverages a little earlier than usual, just too make sure to keep the 'bad karma' away ;D  Besides that I have the weekend off, it's pay day and it is REALLY nice weather here!  What more could one ask for?
Have a GREAT Friday the 13th everyone ;)

ditto , E'S W.

The number 13 is considered very lucky if you're Italian and Italy just made it through to the next round of the Euro Cup.  I love Friday the 13th  ;D

It's weird cause I'm not superstitious at all... yet when it comes to sports (hockey for example) I'm creeped out if I stray from my original routine.  I have to put everything on left to right, have both skates on before I start to tie my left. But as far as Friday the 13th goes, it's just another Friday like any other Friday.

Nope, not really superstitious, although, if I made a Margarita today and spilled salt, I might throw it over my shoulder..... ;D

I, too, plan on imbibing, after all, what would Friday be without a visit to the Brew Pub?  The weather is nice here too, for now, and I have a four day weekend!!!

That would explain why my 5 Mo old puppy got her leg stuck under the bed, panicked, freaked out AND bit my thumb through to the bone (one tooth) this morning.
    I know you're all saying "How the hell...??" well my "puppy" is about 60 lbs and already stands about 22" at the shoulder.  Really she's a real sweetheart but was totally freaked by not being able to get her leg out of the springs -and- she did it all by herself.  I couldn't even blame the kids cause they were with me down stairs.
Oh yeah I'm not superstitious. Really I'm not..  Now where's that rabbits foot .....

Superstitious?  No.  Wondering why I just got trapped in an elevator that stalled between floors for 10 minutes?  Yes.

Superstitious, meh not really.  A firm believer of that whole "Do unto others" stuff though.

It probably was pure coincidence, but on Friday the 13th of November 1981 my parents arrived at their winter place in Florida, unloaded the car and walked across the road and up the street to get some groceries. They didn't make it to the store; a drunk driver decided to avoid the heavy traffic by speeding along the shoulder and hit my father, killing him instantly. To top it off, my mother then had a heart attack in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Old Sweat
Man, oh, man, my condolences on your loss. This must be emotional day for you.  Sorry to hear that.  Robin

Brew Pub?

Welcome to Kingston! Enjoy the patios (well for today, tonight at least)

Thanks, folks. It was a long time ago and I only think of it on odd occasions, like today. What I am grateful for is that they stopped in to see my wife and me on their way south and we had a few days together. I was going to run the Marine Corps Marathon on 6 November and they gave me a runner's watch which I still have. I ran my personal best (3:05:55) in the Marathon and then, after the memorial service for my dad on Friday the 19th, ran my personal best (18:10) in a 5k in his memory on the next day.

Thu Jun 12, 12:03 PM

What's this
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Unlucky for some? Dutch statisticians have established that Friday 13th, a date regarded in many countries as inauspicious, is actually safer than an average Friday.

A study published on Thursday by the Dutch Centre for Insurance Statistics (CVS) showed that fewer accidents and reports of fire and theft occur when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday than on other Fridays.

"I find it hard to believe that it is because people are preventatively more careful or just stay home, but statistically speaking, driving is a little bit safer on Friday 13th," CVS statistician Alex Hoen told the Verzekerd insurance magazine.

In the last two years, Dutch insurers received reports of an average 7,800 traffic accidents each Friday, the CVS study said. But the average figure when the 13th fell on a Friday was just 7,500.

There were also fewer incidents of fire and theft, although the average value of losses on Fridays 13th was slightly higher.

(Reporting by Tineke van der Struik; Editing by Catherine Evans)

The Reason Behind the Superstition

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/Masonry/Essays/friday13.html

The following, historical events, 700 years back in time, are related to peoples fear for the number 13 and Friday the 13th. It arrived to America and was spread all over the world by French emigrants, who heard of the tragedy in France and especially in Paris, below shortly described:

The tragedy concerns the banishment, arresting and outlawing of all Knights Templar, Friday the 13th of October, the year 1307 against their declaration of innocence.

The last known Grand Master of the spiritual Order of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay, was burned to death on a slow fire on the stake outside the Notre Dame Church in Paris together with his successor, on Friday the 13th of March , the year 1314 after long time in prison and of unsuccessful trials to get an admittance of guilt, where even hard torture was involved.

When the flames from the stake, where he was tied up, reached him and it started burning in his dress, he proclaimed in front of the assembled Parisians:

"Here you see innocent people die!"

Then he turned toward his three present executioners with the following cry of
prophecy, (compare the First Epistle of the Corinthian, 14:1):

"I am calling you, King Philip IV of France!"

"I am calling you, Pope Clemence V"

"I am calling you, Prime Minister Guillaume de Nogaret, to appear within
one year from today at the Court of God in order to receive your legitimated
penalty! - curse, curse, be all of you cursed until your 13th generation"

More on Link

Google - Friday 13th Masons Knight Templar - Lot's of Info (that some of us have known all along, eh Tess ;) )

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
In the last two years, Dutch insurers received reports of an average 7,800 traffic accidents each Friday, the CVS study said. But the average figure when the 13th fell on a Friday was just 7,500.

Dutch Population - 16,645,313

I don't know, but it seems to me that if Dutch insurers are receiving reports of an average 7800 traffic accidents EACH Friday ... I don't want to be driving in that little country ANY day of the week.

While a google of statistics for accident rates in the Province of Ontario garnered me this:

Ontario had a population of 12,407,300, of which 8,655,597 were licensed drivers.
421,870 drivers were involved in a collision (316,856 property damage only, 93,207 personal injury, 1,208 fatal collisions)

421870 collisions reported in the year 2004 averages out to roughly 1155.88 per day.

There's a LOT of damn bad drivers in Holland!!  :-X

(I'm thinking Ontario only because it's PD13 ... I'm missing it!!  >:D)

Maybe, just maybe, you have to be insured to ride a bike with a basket on the front and wooden shoes?!? ;D

Maybe this counts: Today we were out used car shopping and on the drive home the car decides to dump coolant all over the road behind us. It's a Volkswagen and it knew what we were doing and what day it was.

Actually, this was a really crappy week with a lot of stupid bad luck things happening everyday. Except for today and I am superstitious.  ??? Its amazing what happens when you don't realize it is Friday the 13th.

Back