• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are there national training standards?

Bignose

Inactive
Reaction score
Is there a published national standard that lists what training an NCM or officer has to do when recruited to the reserves?
For example; an NCM seems to go to BMQ, followed by SQ, followed by trade training.
An officer according to recruiting videos go the BMOQ-L then off to trade training.

I'm waiting for training in the reserves as an officer and have been told I need to do BMQ (4 weeks), followed by BMOQ-L (15 weeks), followed by trade training.

This seems to be more than a reg. force officer recruit?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Bignose said:
Is there a published national standard that lists what training an NCM or officer has to do when recruited to the reserves?
For example; an NCM seems to go to BMQ, followed by SQ, followed by trade training.
An officer according to recruiting videos go the BMOQ-L then off to trade training.

I'm waiting for training in the reserves as an officer and have been told I need to do BMQ (4 weeks), followed by BMOQ-L (15 weeks), followed by trade training.

This seems to be more than a reg. force officer recruit?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Reg force officer candidates do a 15 week BMOQ, followed by BMOQ-L if they are army, or if their particular occupation requires it (MPO, CELE, etc.).

You won't be doing more training than a reg force officer. If you do a weekend BMOQ, then some would argue that you actually do substantially less training. That, however, is a debate that I don't care to engage in (often leads to conflict!).

The recruit training Capt. Even he said "they" keep changing the requirements and this summers training plans seem to be particularly problematic.

Yes.  There is the Officer General Specification (and, similarly, the NCMGS); there are environmental specifications, and finally occupational specifications.

Once qualified to the Developmental Period 1 standard, you may be considered for Occupational Specialty Specification training, if required.

Also there are national training standards published by whoever has ownership of a particular course  (IE pure army courses are generally the domain of LFTDS).  They aren't publicly available, and it's a bit a of PITA to track them down on the DWAN, especially with pages and links not always getting updated, but they do exist.  They are also updated regularly, based  on lessons learned in the field, course feedback from students and staff.

Back